LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Turbo Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Impala SS

Well guys I bought the non intercooled cartuning kit from supercat. I can't wait to receive everything in the mail. It probably won't be installed until I get a 4wd vehicle for my g/f. So probably around tax time, and I plan on contacting Kevin from cartuning to see how much it would cost to upgrade to the intercooled kit.

Hopefully I will have the first 12 second Impala lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm excited for your purchase, but I'm pretty sure that we've had an Impala in the 11's.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I'm excited for your purchase, but I'm pretty sure that we've had an Impala in the 11's.
Haha damn. I've just never seen/read about a turbo Impala on here. It seemed everyone was either MCSS or GXP, but then again you've been around a little longer than me .

Oh we'll atleast this should cure the 2nd gear bog!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What 2nd gear bog?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian396
What 2nd gear bog?
See you must have completely forgot about it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Who
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Who
That's what I thought because after everything I have read I haven't seen one in the 12's.

So David are you able to sleep again lol?

And what's everyone's opinion on E85 vs Meth?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who
X 2 Who ?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackImpSS
That's what I thought because after everything I have read I haven't seen one in the 12's.

So David are you able to sleep again lol?
No, because I just bought a 90mm TB, and am in the process of ordering everything else for the TPiS 90 swap. 85mm MAF, 4" coupler, new air filter, pigtail adapters, and HP tuners.

Looks like I will have to relocate my opsu, push the heater lines down, or run them over the intake, and the exhaust crossover pipe needs to lowered.

I am taking the car to Stans headers to see about changing my collector from a 3" to a 3.50"
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

If you have acess to E85 then go for it!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, because I just bought a 90mm TB, and am in the process of ordering everything else for the TPiS 90 swap. 85mm MAF, 4" coupler, new air filter, pigtail adapters, and HP tuners.

Looks like I will have to relocate my opsu, push the heater lines down, or run them over the intake, and the exhaust crossover pipe needs to lowered.

I am taking the car to Stans headers to see about changing my collector from a 3" to a 3.50"
You will have to relocate the opsu? Don't you have the katech tray and adapter? And isn't the 90 mm opening angled up on the tpis intake? I guess it just could be easy.

If you get the collector changed, did you ever think about running a 3.5 cut out right after the cut out?

Living in Illinois I have pretty easy access to E85. I actually live 15 min away from brian396 and I know he has no issues running E85. My only concern was if I ever took the car on a trip trying to find E85. Took it to Florida this year and I had trouble finding 93 on the way down.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh we'll atleast this should cure the 2nd gear bog!
What 2nd gear bog?
See you must have completely forgot about it.
I jest I remember, she was a lil doggy for the 1st 10' when I launched in 2nd gear.

And what's everyone's opinion on E85 vs Meth?
Love it! You'll defenetly feel more torque on E85. And Sap Bothers is usually the best price around.

My only concern was if I ever took the car on a trip trying to find E85. Took it to Florida this year and I had trouble finding 93 on the way down.
That is the only problem I've had. The wife thought it was illegal for a woman to pump gas for the longest time. She had to put 93 in a couple of times just to limp it back to town.

I would recomend getting HPtuners. If your only running 5lbs you could switch between E85 and gas for road trips.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I jest I remember, she was a lil doggy for the 1st 10' when I launched in 2nd gear.

Love it! You'll defenetly feel more torque on E85. And Sap Bothers is usually the best price around.

That is the only problem I've had. The wife thought it was illegal for a woman to pump gas for the longest time. She had to put 93 in a couple of times just to limp it back to town.

I would recomend getting HPtuners. If your only running 5lbs you could switch between E85 and gas for road trips.
Well I plan on getting everything I need to make it a complete intercooled kit and plan on running 10 psi. Since ill have what I need for Meth I will probably just go that route so I'm not in a bind.

And I'll probably just have it tuned at speed inc. I'd like to get HP tuners, but I would not have a use for it as I am not a tuner nor would I trust myself to tune it.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know meth works and a lot of people have had good luck with it, but I do believe E85 is safer.
I've heard nothing but good things about Speed inc. however http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/ and Zippy (a member on here, and my tuner) are familiar with boosted LS4's. Baker engineering is a bit of a haul. If you get HPtuners you can send Zippy a log and your plans and he'll send you a start up file. After a 100 miles or so you send him another log and he'll fine tune it. He maybe a little hard to get a hold of in the next couple of weeks because he's moving back to Vegas. Zippy would be my first choice for a tuner, and if I was to get a dyno tune I would go to Baker engineering. I'm unsure of Zippy's pricing but it's very reasonable, especially when you consider he is 1 of the best.

Oh and it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway Cartuning has some experience with boosted LS4's.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know meth works and a lot of people have had good luck with it, but I do believe E85 is safer.
I've heard nothing but good things about Speed inc. however http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/ and Zippy (a member on here, and my tuner) are familiar with boosted LS4's. Baker engineering is a bit of a haul. If you get HPtuners you can send Zippy a log and your plans and he'll send you a start up file. After a 100 miles or so you send him another log and he'll fine tune it. He maybe a little hard to get a hold of in the next couple of weeks because he's moving back to Vegas. Zippy would be my first choice for a tuner, and if I was to get a dyno tune I would go to Baker engineering. I'm unsure of Zippy's pricing but it's very reasonable, especially when you consider he is 1 of the best.

Oh and it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway Cartuning has some experience with boosted LS4's.
Yeah a few of my buddies with H/C LS motors have had very good luck with Speed Inc, and that is why I was thinking about going that route. I will look into Zippy.

I know cartuning has had a lot of experience with boosted ls4's, but how well do you think the tune that they provide with the kit is? Is it just a base tune to work off of, or is it something that can be ran without issues?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know cartuning has had a lot of experience with boosted ls4's, but how well do you think the tune that they provide with the kit is? Is it just a base tune to work off of, or is it something that can be ran without issues?
I wouldn't know someone else will have to answer that 1
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't know someone else will have to answer that 1

Cartuning would be your best route as kevin has tons of hours on the dyno and street tuning his kits on LS4's as well as getting the trans portion of the tune right. I recommend TJ at Baker for dyno tuning. They built my current motor and tuned the car. These cars do not like the dyno much though due to non locking converter and might have to do additional tuning on the street or track depending on power level.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Cartuning would be your best route as kevin has tons of hours on the dyno and street tuning his kits on LS4's as well as getting the trans portion of the tune right. I recommend TJ at Baker for dyno tuning. They built my current motor and tuned the car. These cars do not like the dyno much though due to non locking converter and might have to do additional tuning on the street or track depending on power level.
Thanks mark, and I contacted Kevin and he said at 10 psi the tune he would supply would be safe and I wouldn't have any issues. I also asked him about upgrading to the intercooled kit, so I know where my tax return is going. I think it's going to drive me nuts having this kit sit here not on the car though.

Ill also have a wideband and boost gauge so ill be able to confirm the A/F is safe.

Quick Reply: Turbo Impala SS