LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Issues with my 06 GXP

Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with my 06 GXP

Bought the car with 100,010 miles on it at the end of August. Car literally is in mint. I had to look at the carfax to believe that it had the mileage listed on the dash. I received all of the repair history with the car from oil changes to the transmission replacement at 62k and 66k. I never would have bought a car with this kind of mileage on it if it wasnt for the documentation.

I immediately noticed that there was an exhaust leak on the drivers side but didnt really care for I wanted to put a new exhaust on it anyways, and it stood out being that it is of course a V8.

Also have been really paying attention to the tranny for I had a 60 warranty from the delership on the powertrain. I have driven aggressive using the TAP shift and it has done pretty well...especially in normal drive.

Other than the battery change, the car is really solid. However....

What i have noticed about the car is that it felt as though the tranny shifts hard, and would "slip", along with the tranny reaching over 230 degrees at times. I figured that since the warranty was up in just a few days, i should have them look at the car and tell me what they find.

Turns out that it had 2 broken engine mounts! That may explain why it gave me the impression of the tranny slipping or shifting rough. It was the damn engine moving! I am not sure though if the tranny has issues or not. It only has 40k on it now but if the stock went out at 62k, it may only be a matter of time before I have to replace and/or upgrade.

So the shop bill came to over $700 that was covered under the 60 day warranty and they fixed the exhaust leak for free. The car feels like a brand new car with new engine mounts. Feels more solid and seems to accelerate faster and more smoothly. The downside is that with the exhaust leak being fixed, i find it hard to tell if the car is running. These damn cars are so quiet!

Anyways, the point is...with the mileage over 100k, what items could I be replacing in the near future? I know every car is different, but what are the common items to look out for? Are these engines good for 150k+?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Immediately and i mean it....buy a transmission cooler and inline filter on top of a fluid filter change. Its cheap insurance. And honestly id invest in getting a tune as well...nothing will wake the car up more than that coming from stock. After that u should decide what direction u want to go in with the car...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Immediately and i mean it....buy a transmission cooler and inline filter on top of a fluid filter change. Its cheap insurance. And honestly id invest in getting a tune as well...nothing will wake the car up more than that coming from stock. After that u should decide what direction u want to go in with the car...

Yeah i thought i was going to have responses about getting a tranny cooler. A tune really wouldnt be worth it without some mods. So once I can get an intake and more than just a catback, a tune will be the first thing...We have a guy out there that tunes all LS motors and is amazing. He has tuned my GTO a few times.

The most I will do with this car is the exhaust (headers included) and intake. With 100,000 miles, I bought this more for a DD than a racecar. That is what the GTO is for !

If the motor ever went, I would consider swapping an LS1 into it since I love every other part of the car and this would be far cheaper than getting another Daily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues with my 06 GXP