LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Here is one for you..at highway speeds cars sputtering and shifting odd

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here is one for you..at highway speeds cars sputtering and shifting odd

This just started happeing a few days ago. We were driving the car home on the highway and we were doing 55-65MPH in traffic and it would be in DOD..when i would push the peddle to go faster it would buck a little and feel like it was about to stall. then shift..

This happened all the way home and now my wife who uses it to go to and from work on the highway says its happening more and more..at high speeds. Over 40MPH..when i drive the car to work I am on city streets and it only happens if I am over 40MPH..What I am thinking that its the DOD?? But not sure...

The only other way to describe it is anyone hever hit the top speed computer limit on a car and the car would shut the power off. It kinda feels like that.

I know my Trans is going also but would 4th into 3rd be the issue or would it be a DOD issue..I dont have access to a programmer so kinda just tossign it out there.

Recap: At speeds over 40MPH the car will go into DOD and when I go to push the peddle down it feels like its bucking and stalling. then catches itself and its fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the converter.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Autobot,

hate to be the one to break it to you but your trans has a short few weeks left(probably between 1-2 weeks hopefully), i just went threw the EXACT same issue... i drove the car like that for 2ish weeks untill last week when i started the car, i got a loud whine, then shut if off and started it again, no whine, about 3-4km down the road i had no trans, i was at a crusing speed of about 30mph and then, no loud bang or sudden movment, my car started slowing down and my rpm just rose, and i came to a dead stop, i could wait a few minutes and start the car, drive for about 10-15 seconds and lost it, ending up calling a tow truck to take it home, i just got it back from the shop yesterday... $1800 later
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

TCC and Converter.. Mine has been doing it for over a year...It will only get worse.

Best of luck
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you seated? This is a bad trans intervention.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the shop now...they called and said it was the TC.

the 1-2 shift they could not replicate. But the TC is going to be replaced from what they said.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well just an update here. TC was shot. The warranty is replacing it. The adjuster recommended a flush and fill filter and udate to the computer for almost 600 bucks.

We dont have the 600 right now and said just do the TC and put it back together.

Now the fun side of this is..the dealer said that they will not cover the work if the trans starts slipping or not works properly.

My question is. Its just the TC why would that "void" as they put it the work if they dont do the service? I can have it down cheaper than at the dealer thats why I am waiting.

Also whats the protocal on the fluid change on these cars? a flush is bad right?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off the torque converter going bad is filling your trans with metal and garbage. If the replace the converter without flushing the fluid and the filter, they're doing half the job. They are ripping you off. Do not accept that answer. That's rediculous. It makes Mr angry thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Here is one for you..at highway speeds cars sputtering and shifting odd