LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tell me about the Cat conveter law? Mine is going.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about the Cat conveter law? Mine is going.

Just had a bunch of work done on the car.. just got my inspection sticker and yesterday the check engine light came on..went to the parts store and they plugged into the computer.

Cat bank 1 failed and cat bank 2 failed. So now what. Car has 71K I am the 2nd owner.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically it's illegal to not have a cat if your vehicle came equipped with one unless it's an offload vehicle. However it depends on how your state's emission laws are set up. My state doesn't do any checks. If yours does check you can tune out the codes, run a O2 simulator, or run a fake cat (I'm running one, very convincing from the outside).
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
Just had a bunch of work done on the car.. just got my inspection sticker and yesterday the check engine light came on..went to the parts store and they plugged into the computer.

Cat bank 1 failed and cat bank 2 failed. So now what. Car has 71K I am the 2nd owner.
Is your car hesitating/stalling? Horrendous gas mileage? Look under the car at the cat while the car is running and look for discoloration on the metal surrounding the cat also give it a tap listen for any rattling. Those are signs of a failed cat. My thinking is the shop fucked up your car. I'd go back or take it to another one.
Originally Posted by lVloses
Basically it's illegal to not have a cat if your vehicle came equipped with one unless it's an offload vehicle. However it depends on how your state's emission laws are set up. My state doesn't do any checks. If yours does check you can tune out the codes, run a O2 simulator, or run a fake cat (I'm running one, very convincing from the outside).
02 sims don't work for 01+ gm cars.the only option is tuning out.if u run a fake cat w/o tuning your car will run pig rich and have massive kr spikes as a result of a failed catalyst test in the pcm.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot

FIRST the guy at the parts store is a .......

NOW our cars do not have a CAT FAILED PID, and THEY DO NOT HAVE a BANK 2.
We do have a Bank 1 sensor 1 and a Bank 1 sensor 2 for the O2sensors and we do have a BANK 1 CAT efficency above threshold and a BANK 1 CAT efficency below threshold.
You need the exact codes and post them.
Also what work did they do!
It could be as simple as the MAF sensor is not connected properly or a vacum hose left off.

So get/post the info and maybe we can help

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 01-20-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are different kinds of O2 sims. The kind I'm thinking of screws into your O2 bung and is a mini cat. So your O2 reads from the mini cat and not the main stream. And I was running lean after my headers and catless 3" exhaust.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
We do have a Bank 1 sensor 1 and a Bank 1 sensor 2 for the O2sensors and we do have a BANK 1 CAT efficency above threshold and a BANK 1 CAT efficency below threshold.
You need the exact codes and post them.
Also what work did they do!
It could be as simple as the MAF sensor is not connected properly or a vacum hose left off.
Ok hold up my friend...this was just the guy across the street and I was just going off what I was told out in the freezing cold..what you said sounds more like he said to me..it was a parts store not the shop..hes got no vested interest in this. I will go across the street and have him plug it in again and get the codes and exact words.

Just had the O2 sensors replaced on the car back in October, also the evap canister was replaced in Nov. in Dec had the trans fixed. had the other work is was inside the car. they replaced the controls for the heat/AC control box.

I just did take the airbox out of the car for some cleaning last week. Did not take the MAF off though but I can recheck that.

The only thing I notice is the car is a little louder. This whole exhaust system was junk. The resonator was rusting through so I put in a pipe and my cutout that I had for a while. and also my mufflers were gone so I replaced them too with dynomax ones. But it does sound louder again.. But thanks again will. Get the codes and get back to you soon.

Quick Reply: Tell me about the Cat conveter law? Mine is going.