LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

shorter dogbones and poly mounts success

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shorter dogbones and poly mounts success

Did this with my bud and my dad we had to use a cone along to winch the motor forward f for the dogbones which was the hard part Trans mount took 20 minutes all together a good day but car seems to like it pulls harder and shifts smoother but one bad thing when it switches to four cylinder mode the vibration is terrible. But oh well Thursday i should be getting my tax return so I'll be getting a diablew tune so that won't happen anymore but all in all a nice little mod
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

improvements felt it pulls alot stronger and it used to hesitate between shifts at wot now if i stand on it it revs all the way to 6 grand and shifts immediately feel bumps a little more and a bit more virbration is noted especially if the dod kicks in and your slowing down it feels like the car has a a bad brake booster and is using vacuum in place of fluid but you shift it into 3 or have the dod tuned out youll be golden. handles a little bit better also. Cant wait to get the shift kit installed along with the diablew tune and cai cold air.. anyone recommend a sway bar that would help me out also? I'm a third generation gearhead and drag racer so i will be doing some drags but im also looking into maybe some autocross or just going to this road course in wisconsin just to try it?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An ls4 autocrossing would be a sight to see...lets not get ahead of ourselves here haha.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you did the shorter dogbone did you loosen the rear motor mount? The reason I undid mine is because tilting the motor an inch compresses the **** out of the front mount and stretches the rear mount severely it feels like a new car when you do this mod. But your mounts won't last long. The sorter dog bone helps the 3800 guys some because they don't have two lower motor side mounts like we do. Plus if you got the hydraulic motor mounts there going to fall apart on you again. Check my thread on motor mounts. As far as sway bar it all depends you can go with an addco unit which is 22mm over the factory 19mm or you can go the route I did 34mm gmpp unit which also requires 97-03 style control arms

Last edited by 91parkave; 02-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

I replaced the front and couldn't afford the rear but planning on getting another poly unit and i did loosen it some but me and Mt dad are still skinny guys lol and also the dogbones have the poly bushings . How much better is the gmpp unit compared to the addco? In just getting into things like this you know?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry didnt read you had a monte carlo which means you should have the sway bar that attaches with endlinks to the control arms. if you want to upgrade the sway bar see if you can find a 01-05 chevy impala police package the front sway bar equipped are the same *** GMPP @34mm which are the best besides the progress which 1mm or 2 bigger in diameter and solid
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM
Staging Lane

balt my buddy does it in a cobalt that has bald tires and he cant drive worth a **** so i figured i could do it and control the understeer
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A cobalt handles much better. Dont get me wrong im on my 3rd ss and I love it. But if I haul *** into a sharp turn...shes boating over. Its too much body roll. Too much weight. And all the wieghts over the front wheels. Youll just slide
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Eh its just something else to get into. I'm planning on as soon as i get this paid off to either finish my project truck or keeping it and getting a g8 gxp or a cts-v

Quick Reply: shorter dogbones and poly mounts success