LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I'm the new guy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm the new guy.

I guess it is sort of obvious why I made an account here, judging by my name. I'm compiling information so I can hopefully squeeze an LS4 into a 2nd Gen Cavalier whenever I can afford it and have the know-how. Until then I'm also considering bolting a 4t65e-hd to my 3.1 and going the turbo route, but I know less about transmission **** then I do the female brain. SO. Excuse me for not having a lot to contribute and for asking a lot of questions, I just want to learn. Annnddd if anybody happens to be on V6Z24 you might already know me as Buddy_Coppola. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Hello and good luck!

What's the length between your strut towers & firewall to radiator core support? I had to shoehorn an LS4 into my Citation X-11, and I'll have to relocate the alternator. I want to say the Cavalier is smaller engine bay..??
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

post some pics of that citation! i gotta see this.

i actually think this swap would be kind of cool, and absurd. my buddy had a z24 cavalier in high school. it wasnt very cool and not fast at all, but at least it was a convertible, and one color. if it had an ls4 in it it wouldve definitely been the **** though.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

So you see where I'm coming from when I think this swap would be awesome? I couldn't tell you the specifications off the top of my head, but I do know the LS4 should fit from firewall to radiator, but is three inches too long with the transmission in the stock location. Now the guy who took the measurements was probably doing so with the Getrag/Muncie 282, so I don't know what the measurements would be with the 4t65E-HD. I'll get back to you with those numbers, though!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Teching In

You can make anything fit with enough fabrications... 454 in a VW Beetle... we did it cause we were bored and told that we couldnt do it (it cost us time cause we just used what we had on hand)... Ours creation was not pretty nor very safe.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Im swapping a LS4 / 4t65ehd into my Lamborghini Diablo replica (1988 stretched Fiero) so I might be able to give you some info-
I just got the LS4 running on Microsquirt yesterday (not in the car yet) heres a video-
and my 4t65ehd is being controlled with wireless paddle shifters via a stand alone controller from here -
http://www.magnashift.com/magnashift_controllers.html .

It only cost $320.00 for the Microsquirt and $395 for the trans controller the paddle shifters came out of an Audi for $40.00 and I made them wireless with a $20.00 ebay car door lock/unlock kit. The 31k mile LS4/4t65ehd drivetrain cost me $500.00. I had to get some axles made but they are out of all factory pieces that was $250. Alot of little expenses but its cost alot less than I had planned on. This was my first time to build my own harness from scratch for the microsquirt, it was alot easier that I thought it would be. I had some trouble getting it to work but it was something simple that caused me 3 weeks worth of headaches....

Since the LS4 is DoD, I think its a good idea to go ahead and swap the cam, there are tons of good choices just depends what your needs are. But you do have to open the motor up (take the heads off) to change the lifters and buckets, then your going to need some head studs, gaskets, ect. (more $$$)

Depending on how much hood clearence you can go with the chevy truck intake manifold/injectors/rails/throttle body its easy swap and cheap. The ls3/ls6 both require some work to get them to fit. But that would really depend on what engine management you decide to use.

If you have any questions I will gladly try to answer them....
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS4_Cavalier
So you see where I'm coming from when I think this swap would be awesome? I couldn't tell you the specifications off the top of my head, but I do know the LS4 should fit from firewall to radiator, but is three inches too long with the transmission in the stock location. Now the guy who took the measurements was probably doing so with the Getrag/Muncie 282, so I don't know what the measurements would be with the 4t65E-HD. I'll get back to you with those numbers, though!
Yes, definately know where your coming from! My first swap was a Caddy 4.9L into my X-11 - everyone told me it wouldn't work. I heard it again with the LS4... peep the pics. Not done with the build yet, but she's going to be nasty!!

Like CAMyers720 said - it's all possible with fabrication. There's guy on Pennocks the stuffed a 4.9 V8 into a Geo Metro. I asked about strut width because the 4.9 only fit between the Metro strut towers with a manual trans. The 4t65 adds alot. Don't fret, you pull it off and you'll have the only one !!
Attached Thumbnails I'm the new guy.-dscn4974-large-.jpg   I'm the new guy.-dscn4977-large-.jpg   I'm the new guy.-dscn4984-large-.jpg   I'm the new guy.-dscn4981-large-.jpg   I'm the new guy.-dscn4978-large-.jpg  

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

TonyPaul - your a madman, I thought it was gonna jump off the stand when you rev'd it !!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

tight fit in there. itll definitely be sneaky if you can make it super quiet.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

That is insanity, but I'd do it if I had the means.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Teching In

tonypaul, you just might be my new best friend. That is half of the research taken care of for me, ha. I appreciate all of the enthusiasm, this is the positive reinforcement I need to start the project. It's funny that you guys keep mentioning the level of fabrication needed. I actually got a job at an automotive / fabrication shop since I last posted so I think it is a plausible swap. I think I would like to keep it quiet, then have an exhaust diverter to a performance set-up or open headers.

Quick question: Does anyone every twin turbo the LS4? I know the 60 degree V6 crowd doesn't tend to do it. I think one guy did.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS4_Cavalier
tonypaul, you just might be my new best friend. That is half of the research taken care of for me, ha. I appreciate all of the enthusiasm, this is the positive reinforcement I need to start the project. It's funny that you guys keep mentioning the level of fabrication needed. I actually got a job at an automotive / fabrication shop since I last posted so I think it is a plausible swap. I think I would like to keep it quiet, then have an exhaust diverter to a performance set-up or open headers.

Quick question: Does anyone every twin turbo the LS4? I know the 60 degree V6 crowd doesn't tend to do it. I think one guy did.
I now have the LS4 installed in my Lambo Diablo replica, I should be able to start it tomorrow. I just got to finish the coolant lines, finish hooking the trans cooler lines, eld the exhaust and a litte final wiring.

On the twin turbo questions, it "could" be done but the weak link is the 4t65ehd trans. Sadly the trans wont handle the power unless its built right and thats cost big $$$$$.$$.

Second- do to the LS4 being a transverse, space could be a factor depending of what car its being swapped into.

I have both (new) LS9 and LS6 camshafts, LS9 head gaskets, ebay GT45 turbo, ebay head studs, and LS7 lifters. That I might install over the winter depending on how well the LS4 runs stock. I still need a waste gate, lifter trays, wastegate and a few other items to have everything needed to go turbo. I may wait unitll my trans goes out to do it....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I just got around to the video you posted, I got weak in the the knees. Ha. Could you post a link to your Fiero build? I want to keep tabs on it

What kind of horsepower is the 4t65E-HD good for? I wanted to use it for a turbo 3.1 project but the Cavalier 5-speed is pretty over engineered for strength so I wasn't so sure. I'm guessing the F40 doesn't even come close either?

A turbo LS4 Fiero Diablo would possibly be the most unique thing I've ever heard of, so when your trans goes you should do it. I'd drive ten hours just to come see it run

Am I too new to use the hump smiley? Yeah, probably, but oh well..

Does anybody splurge on the FAST intake? 92 or 102?

Quick Reply: I'm the new guy.