LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is there a direct throttle body upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a direct throttle body upgrade?

Getting a throttle body sensor error on my 06 imp ss and thought this might be a good idea to go better than stock. Is there a direct bolt on throttle body upgrade without much fabrication?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Depends on what you looking for? Performance or a quick fix?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Performance
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Ls1/6 intake with ls2 TB. You'll need a ls1/6 to ls2 adapter and there is a small amount of wiring needed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...b-pin-out.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ap-sticky.html
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Go with ls6 tho...unless you packing in the wallet yu can do what nmp did....with the fast intake
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like there is no direct upgrade without doing the whole intake swap - yes?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by straitchev
Sounds like there is no direct upgrade without doing the whole intake swap - yes?
There would be absolutely no reason to add a larger throttle body when the stock manifold necks down to 44mm.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Hey OP i just replaced the throttlebody on my 08 GXP out of necessity. Picked up the AC Delco OEM replacement on amazon for $155. Feels like a performance upgrade. Throttle response is much much smoother especially at low RPMS, and when turning. I get WAY less wheel spin when taking off hard on a turn, which of course is one of the weakest points of these cars... took all of 15 minutes to install. Very happy.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverBFGXP
Hey OP i just replaced the throttlebody on my 08 GXP out of necessity. Picked up the AC Delco OEM replacement on amazon for $155. Feels like a performance upgrade. Throttle response is much much smoother especially at low RPMS, and when turning. I get WAY less wheel spin when taking off hard on a turn, which of course is one of the weakest points of these cars... took all of 15 minutes to install. Very happy.
Lol wut?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol I paid 155 for a 90mm throttlebody and the rest of what silver said uhhh...no
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 AM

It looks like I haven't made my point clearly.

Also, I'm not sure what a couple of you are insinuating. Are you saying that a significant reduction in wheelspin, which is facilitated by a smoother delivery of power, is not a performance increase? It sure feels like one to me whenever I get on the gas.

OP seems to be in much the same situation that I recently found myself in. He asks if there are any simple, direct upgrades to replace his probably failing TB. Instead he gets a response that requires an intake swap, wiring, adapter...

I was just trying to convey that he might be pleasantly surprised with the benefits he gets by just replacing stock with stock.

Last edited by silverBFGXP; 04-17-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: further clarification
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverBFGXP
It looks like I haven't made my point clearly.

Also, I'm not sure what a couple of you are insinuating. Are you saying that a significant reduction in wheelspin, which is facilitated by a smoother delivery of power, is not a performance increase? It sure feels like one to me whenever I get on the gas.

OP seems to be in much the same situation that I recently found myself in. He asks if there are any simple, direct upgrades to replace his probably failing TB. Instead he gets a response that requires an intake swap, wiring, adapter...

I was just trying to convey that he might be pleasantly surprised with the benefits he gets by just replacing stock with stock.
You bought the same TB with the same inlet and outlet. If nothing physically changed nothing changed In your ECU table so how could you correlate that to a power increase?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like maybe your old throttle body (or something attached / related) was bad or needed cleaning. By replacing it you are noticing increase performance or smoother response.

As far as a power increase by just swapping a stock throttle body for another stock throttle body, that won't happen. There is nothing different about the replacements. Unless there was something wrong with the old one.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
It sounds like maybe your old throttle body (or something attached / related) was bad or needed cleaning. By replacing it you are noticing increase performance or smoother response.
And that right there would have been my next post lol.

Might I suggest some seafoam deep creep? It costs $144.01 (before tax) less than that throttle body.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 91parkave
You bought the same TB with the same inlet and outlet. If nothing physically changed nothing changed In your ECU table so how could you correlate that to a power increase?
I never said anything about a power increase . Just a general performance increase. Honestly makes driving the car a lot more enjoyable.

I'm aware the old one was going bad. Apparently there is a small plastic gear that is infamous for stripping and going bad in these.

Quick Reply: Is there a direct throttle body upgrade?