LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Odd electrical issue. Starting/HVAC/HUD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd electrical issue. Starting/HVAC/HUD

Occasionally (1 in 10 starts, mostly when the engine is warm) when starting my car it will turn over very slowly, like the battery is weak. It's a 4 year old Optima Red Top, so I don't want to assume it's the battery. According to the DIC, the alternator appears to be charging normally while driving.

THE REALLY ODD PART: After it turns over slowly, the (manual) HVAC blows air to the floor then immediately adjusts to blow out the front vents, which is where the controls are set. The HUD is also moved to the upper most position, so I need to press the down arrow to bring it down to eye height.

Any clues?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Teching In

All fixed by replacing the battery.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, Optima is no longer a great battery. Most people in the 4 wheeling community and diesel truck community that used to rely on them won't touch them. It seems the quality went downhill somewhere around 2004-2005.

Many in those circles now go for Deka, Odyssey, or some other high end brand. Deka is a more typical battery, but similar to what Optima used to be. Their "Intimidator" AGM is like an Optima Yellow Top. I have run them in my Jeep and Duramax with success. I now have one in my GXP too (it is the Napa AGM which is currently made by Deka). They have performed very well for me.

There are other good brands out there, but they are too $$$ for me to justify.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

i agree with the optima not being what they use to be. i have had my red top replaced not too long after getting it. the interstate battery guy hates them.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
i agree with the optima not being what they use to be. i have had my red top replaced not too long after getting it. the interstate battery guy hates them.
I avoid Interstate like the plague as well. I used to have hell with them. That's been 6 years or so. Things could have changed.

Quick Reply: Odd electrical issue. Starting/HVAC/HUD