LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dealer Can't Figure This Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Can't Figure This Out

I took my GXP to the dealership (Lexus) that I bought the car from with a warranty for a diagnostic and repair of my complaint. I feel movement in the suspension through the steering wheel when turning from a stop, occasionally on bumps, and mainly in manual mode in a lower gear than 4th while driving on and off ramps of the highway.

I presumed it was a tie-rod, wheel hub, or intermediate shaft as I've experienced all of these through previous vehicles. I got a call tonight that they had multiple techs drive the car, they felt the problem but could not diagnose it. They feel it could be a solenoid in the transmission and do not have the GM diagnostic tools to look into this further and told me to take it to a GM dealer who should also take my warranty.

My question is, have any of you felt this and what was it? It doesn't quite feel like the intermediate shaft unless it's just starting to be a problem in which case I might not know because the other GXPs, Monte SS', and Bonneville's I've driven already had the issue and it was obvious. I did have the service stability light go on once this past spring also, but it's never done it since restarting the vehicle that night.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
I took my GXP to the dealership (Lexus) that I bought the car from with a warranty for a diagnostic and repair of my complaint. I feel movement in the suspension through the steering wheel when turning from a stop, occasionally on bumps, and mainly in manual mode in a lower gear than 4th while driving on and off ramps of the highway.

I presumed it was a tie-rod, wheel hub, or intermediate shaft as I've experienced all of these through previous vehicles. I got a call tonight that they had multiple techs drive the car, they felt the problem but could not diagnose it. They feel it could be a solenoid in the transmission and do not have the GM diagnostic tools to look into this further and told me to take it to a GM dealer who should also take my warranty.

My question is, have any of you felt this and what was it? It doesn't quite feel like the intermediate shaft unless it's just starting to be a problem in which case I might not know because the other GXPs, Monte SS', and Bonneville's I've driven already had the issue and it was obvious. I did have the service stability light go on once this past spring also, but it's never done it since restarting the vehicle that night.
i would start with the sway bar endlinks and strut mounts, those are high wear items and cause what youre describing. and of course youre alignment.

edit: also take not if you have directional tires on some grades of roads can also cause some tugging with the car, thats just the nature of the beast
Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Well I picked up the car today and there is defiantly a transmission issue which is odd because it wasn't there when I dropped it off, it's shuddering like crazy.

I think you might be on to something with the suspension issue I'm feeling.

I made an appointment at a Chevy dealer to have then check it out on Monday. I'm going to assume they know what they're doing or looking for unlike Lexus did.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Teching In

$100 in diagnostic so far and the dealer thinks it's plugs and wires.

Would that be normal being that the car only has 50K on it? The service interval is 100k in the manual.

Last edited by 06_GXP; 10-07-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: question
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when the intermediate steering shaft goes out you will feel/hear a popping noise when turning at low speeds.. and i it could be plugs and wires if it feels like its running rough while you are sitting there still. which would mean its missing. you dont need plugs and wires, you just need to make sure they are all tightly connected.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

It runs fine when at idle. It's only between 3rd and 4th gear at 1800-1900RPM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

After they installed the new plugs and wires it's still shuddering. They say it's the torque converter and clutch assembly.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

yup just had this happen converter locked up and my tranny went then got It rebuilt kept having a code pop up had them put in a new valve body just got car back today
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Same symptoms you are describing......It was the TCC...Code would pop up every now and then - sorry don't remember what it was... Fix was the same as what Purplehaze said ^

Overtime, instead of shuddering - it will just not go into 4th, lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Teching In

I never had a code which is odd.

I got a call today saying that the warranty adjuster validated the concerns and they are going to replace the whole transmission. They said the torque converters are common with these cars with the v8 and they usually end up coming back for another repair shortly after fixing it so they wanted to just replace the whole thing now. Nice to know my warranty just paid for itself. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a rental Impala that smells like wet dog. I'm really impressed with the 6 speed transmission they put in the Impala though, why couldn't they have done that with our cars?!?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Teching In

My 06 SS ocasionally does this as well. Not on the interstate tho. Usually when im turning off my street or slower turns. If im turning left the left wheel bounces a bit, if turning right the right wheel bounces. Once im straight it goes away.

Quick Reply: Dealer Can't Figure This Out