LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Considering Another SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Considering Another SS

New here! Considering another SS, as the title suggests. I had all the unfortunate experiences (trans, battery, oil consumption) as other users I have seen, but its not enough to keep me away from a second one. Theres not too much out there with the power, style or SOUND for the money. My only hesitation is the trans. I've found one with about 70k on the clock for just under $13k. I guess my question is; is the trans cooler a fail-safe or does it just prolong the obvious flaw in these cars? Any advice or .02 would be helpful. Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by __BurnSS
New here! Considering another SS, as the title suggests. I had all the unfortunate experiences (trans, battery, oil consumption) as other users I have seen, but its not enough to keep me away from a second one. Theres not too much out there with the power, style or SOUND for the money. My only hesitation is the trans. I've found one with about 70k on the clock for just under $13k. I guess my question is; is the trans cooler a fail-safe or does it just prolong the obvious flaw in these cars? Any advice or .02 would be helpful. Thanks
getting your vehicle tuned and tuning out the DOD will go A LONG WAY on these vehicles, as well as keeping up with maintnense on your trans (yearly trans filter and fluid replacment) and while not being a fail safe the trans cooler is certaintly vital in keeping your transmission healthy.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

You could find you a f-body for $6k and put in another $6k and it would be much faster than our cars.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
getting your vehicle tuned and tuning out the DOD will go A LONG WAY on these vehicles, as well as keeping up with maintnense on your trans (yearly trans filter and fluid replacment) and while not being a fail safe the trans cooler is certaintly vital in keeping your transmission healthy.
Thanks! I called the dealer, they also offer a limited extended warranty, so thats additional peace of mind, it will carry me just past the 100k mark where my last trans failed. and I'll be sure to keep up with that if in fact I do get this one.

ImpSS07, unfortunately my situation requires a vehicle immediately and I dont know if the boss lady would be open to the idea of a project at the moment.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$13k and 70k miles? What year is it?

As an FYI, we paid $13k OTD from a dealer for our 2006 SS with 30k miles on it....Back in May of 2009.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
You could find you a f-body for $6k and put in another $6k and it would be much faster than our cars.
He could pay $6k for an F-body, put nothing into it and it would be faster than our cars.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I paid 13k out the door for my 05 gxp in 2010 with 50k miles. That price is a little too high. I was starting to look at F-body's and selling mine too, it is hard finding one though that is what I want (mainly a manual)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
i dont think hes just looking for speed here. the ss is just more of a comfortable car. 2 door sports car, vs a 4 door family car.

with that being said i still dont think i'd get another gxp or ls4 powered vehicle, granted i still have mine and not planning on trading it in. but i'd look into a g8, cts-v or hell even a charger. unless you get a hell of a deal, and have the money to already replace the transmission.

Quick Reply: Considering Another SS