LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

gxp brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gxp brakes

am i able to put gxp rotors on my impala ss without any modification, or do i have to change out the calipers too.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to change everything Calipers and Brackets I did it on mine
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

ok i figured as much. i noticed that the gxp brakes were like an inch bigger in diamter front and back, so i really wanted to upgrade my brakes. they look tiny in my wheels.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

btw, i was thinking about getting the ls1 throttle body, and ls7 maf, does it really make a differnce, been debating on doing it or not
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Factory drilled GXP rotors are junk. Do searches. The calipers front and rear are the same as a C5 Z06. I'm surprised the rears on the GXP are bigger. I have a lot of experience with brakes, tried several combos. This is what I plan to do on my GXP. The drilled rotors are for show ONLY. They will stress crack eventually if driven aggressively. Get a high quality slotted or solid rotor . Delco advanced tech, rotors I put on my Z06 with just Hawk HPS street pads, SS brake lines and Prestone Dot 3 syn brake fluid. After that my braking sucked my eyes out. The G's it would pull were incredible for such small brakes and 2 piston front rotors. It was the sum of all the parts that made my brakes feel like a big brake kit. I did lots of searching and got lucky on a couple things. The brake fluid, pads, and ss lines helped a lot IMO. Budget but was night and day from factory set up. BTW when I drove my buddies 2007 C6 Z06, his big drilled 6 piston brakes didn't come close to my little improved ones on my C5. No good initial bite or overall short stops. Felt kinda mushy. Bigger isnt always better. Beat him in autocross as well. Both T56 manuals.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
The Factory drilled GXP rotors are junk. Do searches. The calipers front and rear are the same as a C5 Z06. I'm surprised the rears on the GXP are bigger. I have a lot of experience with brakes, tried several combos. This is what I plan to do on my GXP. The drilled rotors are for show ONLY. They will stress crack eventually if driven aggressively. Get a high quality slotted or solid rotor . Delco advanced tech, rotors I put on my Z06 with just Hawk HPS street pads, SS brake lines and Prestone Dot 3 syn brake fluid. After that my braking sucked my eyes out. The G's it would pull were incredible for such small brakes and 2 piston front rotors. It was the sum of all the parts that made my brakes feel like a big brake kit. I did lots of searching and got lucky on a couple things. The brake fluid, pads, and ss lines helped a lot IMO. Budget but was night and day from factory set up. BTW when I drove my buddies 2007 C6 Z06, his big drilled 6 piston brakes didn't come close to my little improved ones on my C5. No good initial bite or overall short stops. Felt kinda mushy. Bigger isnt always better. Beat him in autocross as well. Both T56 manuals.
What? Gxp rotors are durable as hell I've yet had one stress fracture. Those are typical in drilled rotors but gxps are cast like that big diffrence . here are my rotors after 96k fresh from getting turned

Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Launching!

So if they are cast like that instead of manufactured solid and cross drilled by a machine after they are more durable? Hmmm I'm glad you love yours but I would never turn rotors.My old buddy is a Delco/GM parts rep so I have learned a lot of inside secrets. He says never turn rotors. They will wear out your new pads faster in most circumstances. How bad were yours warped, bumpy or lumpy? lol.. maybe the GXP is different. So do your brakes suck your eye ***** out where you get on the brake pedal from high speed? If they do I will buy new GXP rotors with Hawk pads, ss lines, Prestone Dot 3 syn brake fluid My brakes are all original and I can tell maybe pads replaced. Original rotors brake lines , doubt it ever got re bled. It kinda grinds at times. Of course they aren't gonna stop like my Z did. Different strokes for everyone. Just never been a fan of cross drilled. I will do the brakes that I want later on this summer. (84K miles) Needs a refresh.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM

I had zero wobble however the surface was starting to get glazed to much so I have them turned every once in a while. The pads have a lifetime warranty so I just take them back an get new ones after they wear on th rotor a little.

GXP brakes are damn good best of the w-body crowd. Biggest rotors matched with PBR calipers and higher ratio brake pedal to stop faster.

If you want you can also look at getting the 14" /CTS-V 4 piston fronts for cheap as well.

If you want the extreme you can go 14" 6piston AMD 4 piston rear but that will set you back a grand
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I had zero wobble however the surface was starting to get glazed to much so I have them turned every once in a while. The pads have a lifetime warranty so I just take them back an get new ones after they wear on th rotor a little.

GXP brakes are damn good best of the w-body crowd. Biggest rotors matched with PBR calipers and higher ratio brake pedal to stop faster.

If you want you can also look at getting the 14" /CTS-V 4 piston fronts for cheap as well.

If you want the extreme you can go 14" 6piston AMD 4 piston rear but that will set you back a grand
Thanks. I like the look of the GXP brakes. Meh. I will probably just turn them and do Hawk hi po street pads ( non ceramic) SS lines and a bleed with my prestone syn dot 3. I dont drive like my old Z06 in this car. The brakes just need a little TLC.

Thanks.

Derek
Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Launching!

When yours are refreshed do you have good initial bite or do you have to really put pressure on the pedal to decelerate?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 05:34 PM

When yours are refreshed do you have good initial bite or do you have to really put pressure on the pedal to decelerate?

Thanks
I have really good bite. An stays that way. I need to ditch the rubber lines though. I've been looking at c5 z06 rotors to have redrilled though as they are lighter than gxps and plan on getting some Cadillac ATS brembos instead.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Launching!

I have really good bite. An stays that way. I need to ditch the rubber lines though. I've been looking at c5 z06 rotors to have redrilled though as they are lighter than gxps and plan on getting some Cadillac ATS brembos instead.
Man you just finished telling me the factory GXp brakes were the cats azz. Now you are going to C5 Z rotors and caddy ATS brembo calipers?

WHY???

Derek
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Man you just finished telling me the factory GXp brakes were the cats azz. Now you are going to C5 Z rotors and caddy ATS brembo calipers?

WHY???

Derek
lol never said there wasn't room for improvment.brembos and z rotors equal less rotating mass and unsprung weight with more clamping force.

Quick Reply: gxp brakes