LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How or where do you start to flush/change power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How or where do you start to flush/change power steering fluid?

Is there a drain plug in the rack or do you remove a hose? I can do it all myself just cant find the info if anyone has done this.Is there a DIY? My PS resevoir's fluid is dark..

Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
Is there a drain plug in the rack or do you remove a hose? I can do it all myself just cant find the info if anyone has done this.Is there a DIY? My PS resevoir's fluid is dark..

Thanks
Get another person to help you. Remove the return line (small hose) from the reservoir and have it pump into a bucket or something to catch the fluid. Then get ready with a new jug of power steering fluid and have the other person start the car. Just fill the reservoir as it's being drained and as you start to see clean fluid pouring out of the return hose have them shut off the car, attach the hose, and top it off.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks... Would it be easier to put an inline connection fitting to lengthen the hose over the fender of the car to do this?

Thanks bud.

BTW your GXP sounds as fast as u can make these cars. Trick flow heads, cam,ported FAST etc. Just what I did with my Z06. lol Ever drag time it or what can you keep up with or should I PM you.

Derek

Last edited by need4z; 04-21-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Wait dumb question.. do you mean remove the small hose attached to the back of the PS reservoir with the compression clamp? How do you fill the reservoir as the car is running and the fluid is circulating and pissin outta the hose.. or is there 2 hoses attached to the PSR.. Man I'm like wahh?? Only owned the car for 2 weeks but it seems so Chinese . wish the motor was turned around straight like my ole Z06 was, then things might make sense..lol Isn't the fresh fluid going to **** out the rear of the reservoir where i removed the small hose? What am I missing here? Or is there something I'm not getting here.. my mind is a mess lately with blanks. lol

Thanks man

Derek
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks... Would it be easier to put an inline connection fitting to lengthen the hose over the fender of the car to do this?

Thanks bud.

BTW your GXP sounds as fast as u can make these cars. Trick flow heads, cam,ported FAST etc. Just what I did with my Z06. lol Ever drag time it or what can you keep up with or should I PM you.

Derek
I have relocated my reservoir so it has a long enough hose, but yes, that would make it a lot easier to do. And thank you, I have too much going on in my life to get her out to the drag strip at the moment but I don't have any problems with SRT8s or 5.0s.

Wait dumb question.. do you mean remove the small hose attached to the back of the PS reservoir with the compression clamp? How do you fill the reservoir as the car is running and the fluid is circulating and pissin outta the hose.. or is there 2 hoses attached to the PSR.. Man I'm like wahh?? Only owned the car for 2 weeks but it seems so Chinese . wish the motor was turned around straight like my ole Z06 was, then things might make sense..lol Isn't the fresh fluid going to **** out the rear of the reservoir where i removed the small hose? What am I missing here? Or is there something I'm not getting here.. my mind is a mess lately with blanks. lol

Thanks man

Derek
You remove the cap and just poor it in the top. The big hose that goes directly to your pump is your feed hose and that small hose is the return. And just plug up the reservoir where you removed the hose and it won't leak out. It'll take about a minute to completely flush the system and you'll have to pour pretty quickly.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Gotcha! Thanks. I can see clearly. Went out to the garage and had a better look. Do you know roughly how much the whole system holds? A couple litres/quarts? You meant new 5.0 stangs right? lol jk..

Thanks again

Derek

Quick Reply: How or where do you start to flush/change power steering fluid?