LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 monte ss upgrades. where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please and thanks man. i talked to Lew. Now he said I can use both but he cant set the line pressures as high with the transgo kit. Whatever... this isn't a dragstrip hotrod, been there 4 times already. haha.. just a DD that I wanna have fun driving 4-5 days a week. Never installed a shift kit before, been playing with manuals the last 7 years. My last TH350 was professionally built.

Thanks

Derek
Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
Please and thanks man. i talked to Lew. Now he said I can use both but he cant set the line pressures as high with the transgo kit. Whatever... this isn't a dragstrip hotrod, been there 4 times already. haha.. just a DD that I wanna have fun driving 4-5 days a week. Never installed a shift kit before, been playing with manuals the last 7 years. My last TH350 was professionally built.

Thanks

Derek
theres no need to tune the line pressure higher thats what the shift kit is for. The biggest thing with the tunes are changing tcc lockup speeds, increasing tcc duty cycles, a little force motor current work, etc..... I can go all day with specifics but lew knows what to do.. Anyways check this link..much more in depth then the one we have stickied. http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/79486-DIY-How-To-Install-TransGo-Shift-Kit-4T65E-Very-Detailed-Pictures
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Yeah thanks. I just opened the trans go box with all the seals springs bushings.. Does every part go in the trans?? The instructions are all on 1 double sheet of paper. Geez I dont know where to start first. They talk about replacing a solonoid blah blah.. I dont have any engine lights... but 83K miles.. Doing this tmrw PM. Showing you a seal for 3rd gear clutch. Am I supposed to install this? I don't know if I feel comfortable with anything but the shift kit. The pics show every spring going in. I thought you choose spring based on firmness, I know there are springs for different gears. I need simplicity here. lol Instructions almost seem Chinese... My weakness is working on auto trans/transaxles. Done everything else. sigh. lol
Im guessing the valvebody is under the accumulator? Theres this small seal and other parts.. argghhh
Thanks pal

Derek
Old 04-26-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
Yeah thanks. I just opened the trans go box with all the seals springs bushings.. Does every part go in the trans?? The instructions are all on 1 double sheet of paper. Geez I dont know where to start first. They talk about replacing a solonoid blah blah.. I dont have any engine lights... but 83K miles.. Doing this tmrw PM. Showing you a seal for 3rd gear clutch. Am I supposed to install this? I don't know if I feel comfortable with anything but the shift kit. The pics show every spring going in. I thought you choose spring based on firmness, I know there are springs for different gears. I need simplicity here. lol Instructions almost seem Chinese... My weakness is working on auto trans/transaxles. Done everything else. sigh. lol
Im guessing the valvebody is under the accumulator? Theres this small seal and other parts.. argghhh
Thanks pal

Derek
you're not concerning yourself with the valve body parts..FYI the valve body is behind the side cover . not the bottom. All you gotta do is follow the writeup I linked you to. You're only concern is the accumalator. For the shift kit.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Launching!

OK thanks again!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you havent changed the fluid and filter yet might as well do that and the shift kit.
not really hard to do, just messy lol
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
if you havent changed the fluid and filter yet might as well do that and the shift kit.
not really hard to do, just messy lol
Yep know all about it. lol And I am.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default mods

I think the first question to ask is what is your budget? I like what the other ls4 guys are saying. My suggestions are transcooler, polymount dogbone, shift kit and tune. After that if you aren't satisfied then you need to be prepared to spend more $ for intake, TB(perhaps), headers and electric cutout. Once you do that and you are still not satisfied start saving money for a built transmission and a N2O kit. Years ago I got the mod bug and ending up with a all of the above plus head work, upgraded valve train and a upgraded cam. Ending up in disappointment, my advice is: be happy with modest gains in the LS4 platform.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Any suggestions on a intake swap? i know you guys are saying TB. i got the money im currently lacking knowledge at this point. got a link to this intake?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default ls4 mods

I have a ls1 intake setup from my old engine and a set of STBs if you are interested. I would recommend a polymount dogbone, shift kit and a transmission cooler
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

What all do you have?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default ss mods

lots of stuff, I have a ls1 intake setup, (intake, TB adapter, valley cover, ls1 injectors, gotta locate adaptors (they are over 100 bucks new) intake was on car for 4 months, STBs still on car, 2 oil catch cans, ls6 lifters and ls6 ported oil pump, 056 cam, ls4 short block minus heads, hell if the price is right I'll trade you my TEP transmission and cash for yours. It was rebuilt by TEP after the dyno overrev. It has 10k on it and it has all the upgrades. Also have a complete nitrous outlet kit Im thinking about selling. Send me your email and I can send pics
Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-Go to the car wash and shine it up.
-Then stop by Walmart and grab a "For Sale" sign (usually near the hardware section).
-Put the For Sale sign in the window.
-Sell the car.
-Buy a G8.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
-Go to the car wash and shine it up.
-Then stop by Walmart and grab a "For Sale" sign (usually near the hardware section).
-Put the For Sale sign in the window.
-Sell the car.
-Buy a G8.

This guy has jokes!!!!!!!!: gtfo:

Quick Reply: 06 monte ss upgrades. where to start?