LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Replacing engine / transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing engine / transmission mounts

So I'm pretty sure my engine and / or transmission mounts are shot. The car started developing a clunk/shudder/jiggle when shifting into gear when turning that is slowly getting worse. It doesn't actually feel like a bad shift as much as it feels like the engine / tranny is rocking back and forth. I ordered all 5 engine / transmission mounts from Amazon. Broke out the Haynes manual to discover it has very little info about how to actually change these damn things. Went to a local firestone and they wanted $1600 to do all 5. Has anyone replaced all / most of them in a home garage? Is it even doable? Something tells me GM would want even more to do it than Firestone did. Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CopInAnSS
So I'm pretty sure my engine and / or transmission mounts are shot. The car started developing a clunk/shudder/jiggle when shifting into gear when turning that is slowly getting worse. It doesn't actually feel like a bad shift as much as it feels like the engine / tranny is rocking back and forth. I ordered all 5 engine / transmission mounts from Amazon. Broke out the Haynes manual to discover it has very little info about how to actually change these damn things. Went to a local firestone and they wanted $1600 to do all 5. Has anyone replaced all / most of them in a home garage? Is it even doable? Something tells me GM would want even more to do it than Firestone did. Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.
There's a couple write ups if you search...I'll post some up later for you when I get a moment...all you need is a floor jack 15mm socket and extensions. Mini pry bar helps too. Should take a hour to get all lower three done. Top is self explanatory.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 91parkave! I've printed a couple threads from various forums with pics and instructions from ChiltonDIY. Seems that jacking / manipulating the engine will be the most difficult part, and getting to a couple of the bolts that are in tight spots. Parts should arrive weds and I have a couple friends coming over to help / drink my beer lol.

Quick Reply: Replacing engine / transmission mounts