LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Help! Transmission hose blew off radiator and lost all trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help! Transmission hose blew off radiator and lost all trans fluid

Last night I was driving our 2008 GXP when apparently the hose leaving the radiator to the transmission blew off and lost all but 2 qts. of tranny fluid. Luckily this happend on our street, and I was able to stop the car as soon as I noticed it was not shifting and almost not moving. Today I replaced the hose and the fittings to both sides. I filled the fluid back up but noticed another small leak on another fitting. I am hoping that this Transmission was spared but I know there is a good chance it wasnt. I will know for sure tomorrow, but the weird this is that there was also antifreeze that appeared to be leaking about the the fitting leaving the radiator. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2008 Grand Prix GXP 85,000 miles
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is one of my worst fears having a trans cooler installed and having a line come off of it going down the road.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDurick
Last night I was driving our 2008 GXP when apparently the hose leaving the radiator to the transmission blew off and lost all but 2 qts. of tranny fluid. Luckily this happend on our street, and I was able to stop the car as soon as I noticed it was not shifting and almost not moving. Today I replaced the hose and the fittings to both sides. I filled the fluid back up but noticed another small leak on another fitting. I am hoping that this Transmission was spared but I know there is a good chance it wasnt. I will know for sure tomorrow, but the weird this is that there was also antifreeze that appeared to be leaking about the the fitting leaving the radiator. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2008 Grand Prix GXP 85,000 miles
THis is why I say leave the factory cooler out the loop it does nothing but hurt a transmission in the long run. You can save yourself some time and drama by going with a standalone cooler. Bar plate style available from amazon or local parts stores. I like to use pushloc fittings but barbed is fine just don't over tourqe them. Always use a barbed fitting where applicable. As for the fluid I would dump all of it and do a filter change. Coolant significantly alters trans fluid for the worse.

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
this is one of my worst fears having a trans cooler installed and having a line come off of it going down the road.
Factory cooler will blow a line just the same. Get quality lime and fittings if you want your system to last.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91parkave
THis is why I say leave the factory cooler out the loop it does nothing but hurt a transmission in the long run. You can save yourself some time and drama by going with a standalone cooler. Bar plate style available from amazon or local parts stores. I like to use pushloc fittings but barbed is fine just don't over tourqe them. Always use a barbed fitting where applicable. As for the fluid I would dump all of it and do a filter change. Coolant significantly alters trans fluid for the worse.

Factory cooler will blow a line just the same. Get quality lime and fittings if you want your system to last.
I used transmission line clamps so they should hold up pretty well and the only reason I didn't bypass the stock cooler is if I ever have the need to drive it during the winter it would seem like my transmission wouldn't ever warm up
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I used transmission line clamps so they should hold up pretty well and the only reason I didn't bypass the stock cooler is if I ever have the need to drive it during the winter it would seem like my transmission wouldn't ever warm up
Your transmission will have no problem warming up with a 196 degree block of aluminum attached to it. When. You start leaking coolant into your trans well..you know the rest.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Your transmission will have no problem warming up with a 196 degree block of aluminum attached to it. When. You start leaking coolant into your trans well..you know the rest.
I guess if that day comes I'll have an excuse to build a tep trans then... Glass half full haha

Quick Reply: Help! Transmission hose blew off radiator and lost all trans fluid