LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is my caliper getting stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my caliper getting stuck?

I did the brakes few weeks ago. Everything was fine. I bled the brakes last weekend, also went fine. Fast forward to today, there was a rain that made the rotors get some of that glaze on them. I drove it and most of it is gone, except for the back passenger side rotor. It doesn't seem that the whole pad is coming in contact with it, only in the center and towards the inside of the rotor the glaze is gone.

I used some brake cleaner on that side the same day I bled the brakes cause I was going to paint the bracket. Did I remove the grease that was on the clips that the pads slide on? They aren't sqeaking or anything but it seems like the whole pad isn't being pushed on enough.

I hope my caliper isn't on it's way out....
Old 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I have found the caliper guide pins to be rather flaky on these cars. I changed my rotors and pads @75k miles and the passenger side caliper guide pin was completely seized up. Gave me the same type of experience. Check those out and make sure they slide easily.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Launching!

When I did the brakes I used the automotive silicon supplied to grease the pins and such. they were already really greased and moved easily but i put the supplied grease on anyway. I haven't got a chance to take the wheel off and dig into it yet but I had my brother step on the brake and I watched the caliper move the exact same as the driver side rear.

I will post a pic of before and after but the other day we got another rain and it glazed that same rotor completely again. Well as soon as I drove up the road and braked, again only the inner part of the face of the rotor was cleaned off, with the outter half still glazed.

This leads me back to thinking when I sprayed the brake cleaner on that caliper when I was going to paint I may have sprayed off some of the grease I put on the sliders and only one side of the pad is being pushed in.

No other brake is doing this and that was the only corner I got to spray the brake cleaner on before I had to abandon the paint due to wrong colour, so that is the only reason I suspect that. I think I am going to pull off the pads and just rub some more grease in the sliders there.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Here are the rotors before and after driving the morning after a rain.

As you can see, the pad is touching part of the rotor.

But I will take your advice and check out the guide pins.
Attached Thumbnails Is my caliper getting stuck?-img_20140703_084959.jpg   Is my caliper getting stuck?-img_20140701_112057.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Since that is the rear it only has one piston as well. I guess it could be possible that piston is not pushing straight. Just thinking of things that would cause the pad not to be flat on the rotor. Guide pins are still my first choice. That rotor does look familiar but could be a couple different things.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to me it just looks like your break pads hasn't worn to your rotors yet I was just driving for a couple hundred miles and see if the level outif there was an issue with that breaking you would also feel the car pull to one side or the other
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Launching!

I'm visiting my mom in Florida so I still haven't got a chance to look. It shouldn't be the pads though since none of the other 3 corners look this way. I also did lews bed in procedure and got the right dust and colour on the rotors he mentions in the procedure.

I appreciate all the feedback though so now I know where to look. I'm thinking its the guide pins as well since my truck had the same problem on its caliper and that was the cause.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I finally got a day to check it out. I found out the dust boot on my piston has a slight tear around the edge...So I hear that means new caliper now.

Also, I went and regreased the sliders and pins. I found that one of the pins was sticking a little but once I greased it was fine. However that spot on my rotor is still not being removed so that means the pad is still not evenly touching.

Looking at it from the top it appears it's the very top of the bad that isn't touching for some reason... almost as if it has a high spot on it.
Attached Thumbnails Is my caliper getting stuck?-img_20140804_105553.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried just replacing the brake line
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Have you tried just replacing the brake line
Would a bad brake line cause the caliper to not push the top of the pads though?

Quick Reply: Is my caliper getting stuck?