LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

About to begin LS4 swap on my 06 Monte, have a few questions about its performance?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to begin LS4 swap on my 06 Monte, have a few questions about its performance?

Whats up, I have a 2006 Monte 3.9 that I'm in the process of swapping the ls4 into, I already have the Ls4 engine its self, I have the Transmission from the same car , motor mounts and wiring harness. Some of the wiring harness that I have in my 3.9 can be used with the Ls4, my question is what else would I possibly need? And also would an LS4 with headers, overkill pcm tune, cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust smoke a bolt 04 gt mustang 5 speed??
Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Roblee06;18360221]Whats up, I have a 2006 Monte 3.9 that I'm in the process of swapping the ls4 into, I already have the Ls4 engine its self, I have the Transmission from the same car , motor mounts and wiring harness. Some of the wiring harness that I have in my 3.9 can be used with the Ls4, my question is what else would I possibly need? And also would an LS4 with headers, overkill pcm tune, cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust smoke a bolt 04 gt mustang 5 speed??[/

I destroyed a 95 5.0 gt that had a cam and exhaust in my near stock gxp. I also beat a newer R/T Charger with at least exhaust. You should have no problem with the 04 if you have those mods even if he has bolt ons.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=CrimsonGXP;18360385]
Originally Posted by Roblee06
Whats up, I have a 2006 Monte 3.9 that I'm in the process of swapping the ls4 into, I already have the Ls4 engine its self, I have the Transmission from the same car , motor mounts and wiring harness. Some of the wiring harness that I have in my 3.9 can be used with the Ls4, my question is what else would I possibly need? And also would an LS4 with headers, overkill pcm tune, cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust smoke a bolt 04 gt mustang 5 speed??[/

I destroyed a 95 5.0 gt that had a cam and exhaust in my near stock gxp. I also beat a newer R/T Charger with at least exhaust. You should have no problem with the 04 if you have those mods even if he has bolt ons.
cool, yeah I figured I shouldn't have a problem outrunning a 2v GT, he doesn't really know anything about cars besides how to drive a manual. He once told me he had a COMPLETELY stock '94 GT mustang that did over 170 mph lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a '94 Slo.0 doesn't have nearly enough power to hit anything close to 170 mph. But what other parts you think I may need to complete the swap? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats up, I have a 2006 Monte 3.9 that I'm in the process of swapping the ls4 into, I already have the Ls4 engine its self, I have the Transmission from the same car , motor mounts and wiring harness. Some of the wiring harness that I have in my 3.9 can be used with the Ls4, my question is what else would I possibly need? And also would an LS4 with headers, overkill pcm tune, cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust smoke a bolt 04 gt mustang 5 speed??
Ls4 motor trans, cradle,Axles, wiring,Fuse box,Headers or manifolds Id probably cam it before it goes in and have the trans built pointless in my opinion to put a used ls4 trans in with out a rebuild and upgrade all i can think of for now.. And i rape 5.0 all day the look on there face when my 4 door sedan blows by and they all think its a supercharged v6 lol
Old 08-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Ls4 motor trans, cradle,Axles, wiring,Fuse box,Headers or manifolds Id probably cam it before it goes in and have the trans built pointless in my opinion to put a used ls4 trans in with out a rebuild and upgrade all i can think of for now.. And i rape 5.0 all day the look on there face when my 4 door sedan blows by and they all think its a supercharged v6 lol
thanks alot man, I'm gathering up all the parts now and over the winter, I plan on doing the swap around the upcoming spring time, its no rush. The LZ9 has pretty good acceleration for a V6. I'm actually gonna mod it, I got custom made headers in the works, magnaflow catback with res delete, cold air intake, and an overkill pcm tune, I might even throw a set up gears in. All those mods should easily put me in the mid to high 13 second quarter mile run and allow me to keep pace with this mustang.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

You need both computers.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

what year model is the LS4?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tonypaul
what year model is the LS4?
2006, but I dont know if I gonna put that set up in my car. I'm more than likely gonna buy a Tahoe or Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec and swap everything into the Monte. A friend wants to buy the actual ls4 from me, it would be a nice little project to start on in a month!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mels SS
You need both computers.
I'm more than likely gonna buy a good running Tahoe with the 5.3, and swap everything over, the current transmission in my Monte now is on its last legs anyway and will require service sooner than later and I'm not gonna wait til the last minute to try to fix it. I had a 02 Grand prix gt that I drove with a malfunction transmission for months, it finally gave out as I was making a turn, car wouldn't move. Luckily I was close to home and 2 of my younger cousins helped me push it to my block.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I'm more than likely gonna buy a good running Tahoe with the 5.3, and swap everything over, the current transmission in my Monte now is on its last legs anyway and will require service sooner than later and I'm not gonna wait til the last minute to try to fix it. I had a 02 Grand prix gt that I drove with a malfunction transmission for months, it finally gave out as I was making a turn, car wouldn't move. Luckily I was close to home and 2 of my younger cousins helped me push it to my block.
my goal is to make this a unique and mean Monte, I start with my new company at work Monday and will be making nearly 1,000 a week after taxes (take home pay). So affording an actual SS is definitely not a problem, I wouldn't feel happy about it. Even though this is the hard route in choosing, I would rather do it this way.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So your gonna make it rear wheel drive?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
So your gonna make it rear wheel drive?
I don't plan to. I will have a whole Tahoe with the 5.3 vortec in it and will interested in possibly swapping over the drive train to the Monte

Last edited by Roblee06; 08-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I don't plan to.
but what problems would I run into swapping the 5.3 vortec into the Monte? I will have the whole running vehicle so all the parts will be there, I'm not looking to make it rear wheel drive. I know I will have to put a ls1/ls6 intake on it so I would be able to close the hood.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear wheel drive gm blocks are different bolt patterns than the fwd blocks. They will not interchange in the regard
Old 08-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Rear wheel drive gm blocks are different bolt patterns than the fwd blocks. They will not interchange in the regard
Okay, but what if I have the Tahoe complete car with everything running? I'm thinking I can can drop the entire sub frame with everything attached to it (engine, trans, wiring harness, etc) and place it in the Monte, I'm sure it can be done.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the tahie is RWD, unless you planning on hacking up the entire car to make RWD, it would be easier just to find a COMPLETE dropout of a 5.3 impala/montecarlo w/PCM/TCM/BCM
Old 08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
the tahie is RWD, unless you planning on hacking up the entire car to make RWD, it would be easier just to find a COMPLETE dropout of a 5.3 impala/montecarlo w/PCM/TCM/BCM
you're right, but the ls4 is much more expensive than me buying good running Tahoe complete, so its no possible way I can get this hooked up even with all the parts right there???
Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope and don't try. LS4 has the v6 bellhouse bolt pattern and transaxle mounted starter, to start. Also has a shortened crank shaft, unique accessory drive, and special water pump. The only guy to really put a different engine in a LS4 w-body had to pay big bucks for a custom CNC aluminum block. I believe it was a 427 in a monte carlo...
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Nope and don't try. LS4 has the v6 bellhouse bolt pattern and transaxle mounted starter, to start. Also has a shortened crank shaft, unique accessory drive, and special water pump. The only guy to really put a different engine in a LS4 w-body had to pay big bucks for a custom CNC aluminum block. I believe it was a 427 in a monte carlo...
thanks for the reply, you just saved me $2,000 bucks.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the reply, you just saved me $2,000 bucks.
Well im glad i brought that up for your sake there is a reason they made the ls4 and all the stuff that goes with it and why else you think no other car come with a ls4 just are small fam of w-body

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to begin LS4 swap on my 06 Monte, have a few questions about its performance?