LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam sensor

2008 GXP, code p00016 came up, changed sensor light still is on. What else in this system could be bad and give same code, timing belt, computer? Any help would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

Check the wires.

One should be ground (make sure it has low resistance to a chassis ground), one should be 5V with the ignition on, the other is the signal wire. Check it for continuity between the sensor connector and the ECM pin.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Verify the part # on the sensor. I got the wrong one and was scratching my head as to why it wasn't working. It was the same shape and fit just fine but after a week of pondering I cross referenced the part # and found I had the wrong one.

Also, what Fiero said. Where these wires run and given the heat involved, the plastic protectors they put on end up brittle and hard. I could see a shorted out/melted wire being the cause.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

for the answers on the problem. Just to finish the post, the cam and crank sensors where changed they work with one another. That did no cure problem. Further down the line on possible problems is timing chain, yep thats what it was broken tensioner. Had pieces in the case, changed out tensioner, chain and sprocket. Funny car has 98,000 miles on it, maintenance says change out these components at 100,000. They know just when to change this stuff out. Now my 06 tranny is making jerky moves, just throw away cars I guess.

Quick Reply: Cam sensor