LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2007 Impala SS Engine Removal procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impala SS Engine Removal procedures?

hello to every one here, I am new to LS1TECH.com as a member. I have been previously referred to the site by THIRDGEN.org through several post that help me in my LS Engine swap. I need some help finding instructions or a service manual for engine removal of my wife 2007 Impala SS. the engine has 185,000 miles and started a "knock tick" yesterday. I took the car the a local Chevy dealership and the diagnosis is the lifters, rocker in cylinder 4. the dealership recommended engine replacement.

our previous car (2004 Grand Prix GTP) i replaced the engine and transmission in it with a purchased service manual. the service manual had me remove the hood and i had clearance on the GTP. now i know this Impala SS is different but the chassis is the same. i can pull it from the bottom, i would just like some detailed steps so i save on frustration. i want to remove the engine and transmission which i think would be easier, but could the engine be removed from the top without removing the transmission (without increasing time and difficulty of course)
Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Teching In

ok, did i do something wrong? has no one had to remove the engine from these cars? i did a search and i found only transmission removals. well i will try it and if interested i will give results. thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Drop it out the bottom to much **** out the way on top
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kaikarter
ok, did i do something wrong? has no one had to remove the engine from these cars? i did a search and i found only transmission removals. well i will try it and if interested i will give results. thanks
Very similar to trans removal but instead of un-bolting the trans from of the motor you would disconnect the wiring harness, the fuel line, steering coupler, and the coolant hoses and then drop the whole assembly. You'd do best to pull radiator first so you can remove AC compressor and hold to the side in order to drop assembly without having to open AC lines.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Too add I just unbolt the steering rack and tie rod ends and bungee cord it to the body and drop it with the rack secured to the vehicle....I hate that steering shaft lol
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Too add I just unbolt the steering rack and tie rod ends and bungee cord it to the body and drop it with the rack secured to the vehicle....I hate that steering shaft lol

Thats exactly what i did , i didnt want to mess with that thing at all

When i was putting my sub frame back in i did have a hard time lining everything back up , the steering rack was 2 inches out of posistion and i had to bolt the steering rack to the frame and then use the frame allignment bolts and stick a rod into the frame and the allighment holes to pull it back into its correct location , that was the most time consuming part for me when putting the transmission back into the car
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaikarter
hello to every one here, I am new to LS1TECH.com as a member. I have been previously referred to the site by THIRDGEN.org through several post that help me in my LS Engine swap. I need some help finding instructions or a service manual for engine removal of my wife 2007 Impala SS. the engine has 185,000 miles and started a "knock tick" yesterday. I took the car the a local Chevy dealership and the diagnosis is the lifters, rocker in cylinder 4. the dealership recommended engine replacement.

our previous car (2004 Grand Prix GTP) i replaced the engine and transmission in it with a purchased service manual. the service manual had me remove the hood and i had clearance on the GTP. now i know this Impala SS is different but the chassis is the same. i can pull it from the bottom, i would just like some detailed steps so i save on frustration. i want to remove the engine and transmission which i think would be easier, but could the engine be removed from the top without removing the transmission (without increasing time and difficulty of course)

To anwser your question more directly go to this link below , for the most part it has most of what you need to get you started , the rest you'll be able to figure out.

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=2353.0

as mentioned above ignore the part about disconnecting the intermediate steering shaft , its not nessary and will be just fine if you wrap a toe strap around it and support it from above.

Quick Reply: 2007 Impala SS Engine Removal procedures?