LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Sensa-Trac Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensa-Trac Struts

Anyone install Monroe Sena-Tracs on their impala or monte carlo? I did and they seem a little more splashy than the originals did when they were new. I was hoping for a bit firmer ride. I would like to know if anyone else has tried them and what they thought.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monroe does NOT make a rear strut for our platform. You must use a strut for 18" rims.
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog be sure to read their NOTES
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Was that "off the cuff" or did you look?

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/72471

At the time I purchased mine, this number was a sensa-trac, now it is a OESpectrum but both names are by Monroe.

Maybe you saw some notes about it that I couldn't find?

Monroe Sensa-Trac Strut; Rear; w/o Police or Taxi Package; w/ 17" Wheels; w/ 18" Wheels; 2 Req.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impala06ss
Was that "off the cuff" or did you look?I would not post an answer if I did not know! If you followed the link and entered your car you would see and that listing was their current listing as of 11.01.2014

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/72471

At the time I purchased mine, this number was a sensa-trac, now it is a OESpectrum but both names are by Monroe.
If you enter and search for your 72471 it does come up with fitting an impala from 2004 - 2013 but there is no warnings or notes attached

Maybe you saw some notes about it that I couldn't find?
I actually got to live thru the terror of the rear tires being ripped from the car at cruising speed because the struts were wrong... only to find out after the fact and because of it all manufactures have to add notes for customers to read and understand before they buy/install.
The 06+ impala SS, GranPrix GXP, Monte carlo SS and the Lacrosse Super all require rear struts that have the lower pertch raised by 1/2" in order to properly clear the 18" wheels/tires

Monroe Sensa-Trac Strut; Rear; w/o Police or Taxi Package; w/ 17" Wheels; w/ 18" Wheels; 2 Req.

So make sure you do your homework. When indoubt call the manufacturer and confirm.

Ok, so I took some time and did a thorough search on this as it has been some time. You asked about the Sens-a trac and yes I will stand behind what I stated "Sens-a-track does not make a strut for the rear of the W-body with 18" wheels" now you put up a part number and a name OESpectrum pn 72471. This is different than your original post and it turns out it is a new line made for foreign cars, apparently they are built in Belguim... how our W-body made it in there is unclear. Now on to your question I did find the OESprectrum pn and the note as to its application "not for use with police or taxi, use with 17"W, with18"W"

according to some sources found the OESpectrum is not a re-labeled base strut "Sens-a trac" but a complete new line that offers more refined, firmer ride with a new type of fluid and operating characteristics. Who knows!

So I guess that if you are the first to install these OESpectrum (verifying with the manufacturer they are correct for our application) Then maybe you can take the time to post up honest/ reliable/ accurate information for all the members to move forward with.

thanks

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 11-23-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Wow! Sounds like you took that personally. Go back and read your first response to my post. I was a dumb*** for installing them according to you.

When I purchased my my rear struts, they were sensa-trac, no matter what you believe. I did do my homework. At the time I purchased them, they were on Monroes site, as sensa-tracs, clearing the 18" wheel. After your response, I went back, as you wanted me too, and looked on their site again. The sensa-trac was no longer on the list. So, I went back to my purchase receipt, got the number and checked Monroes site again. They had changed the name to OESpectrum. You should loosen up, you seem tightly wound.

BTW, I checked my perch and the stroke before I installed them. They were all identical to the OEM. They properly clear my tire. I'm not sure where you got all of your info and am real sorry you experienced installing the wrong struts but at some point in time, Monroe made the correct strut for the rear. I was not aware that they changed the name and description. All of my information is and always will be honest/reliable and accurate.

Odd that they would use the same part number for the OESpectrum that was used on a sensa-trac and that they would both fit the exact same vehicle.

Attached is my history from Advanced Auto showing that it was a sensa-trac.
Attached Thumbnails Sensa-Trac Struts-sensa.jpg  

Last edited by impala06ss; 11-23-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impala06ss
Wow! Sounds like you took that personally. "off the cuff"Where I live it is like saying clueless Go back and read your first response to my post. I was a dumb*** for installing them according to you.Not at all, just concerned for your and others safety!

When I purchased my my rear struts, they were sensa-trac, no matter what you believe. I did do my homework. At the time I purchased them, they were on Monroes site, as sensa-tracs, clearing the 18" wheel. After your response, I went back, as you wanted me too, and looked on their site again. The sensa-trac was no longer on the list. So, I went back to my purchase receipt, got the number and checked Monroes site again. They had changed the name to OESpectrum. You should loosen up, you seem tightly wound.As stated above it is a safety concern

BTW, I checked my perch and the stroke before I installed them. They were all identical to the OEM. They properly clear my tire. I'm not sure where you got all of your info and am real sorry you experienced installing the wrong struts but at some point in time, Monroe made the correct strut for the rear. I was not aware that they changed the name and description. All of my information is and always will be honest/reliable and accurate.This I have no doubt... the way it was meant is for the new honest/reliable and accurate info now becomes available for all readers pursuing new struts. As your information will be most valuable!

Odd that they would use the same part number for the OESpectrum that was used on a sensa-trac and that they would both fit the exact same vehicle. maybe some type of clerical error on their behalf.

Attached is my history from Advanced Auto showing that it was a sensa-trac.
Looking forward to your opinion and experience with these new struts.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for your safety concern. I was unaware that the strut I purchased was no longer available.

As to my original question, has anyone had any experience with the sensa-trac 72471 or the OESpectrum with the same number as pointed out by Ill_Born_ss.

As stated, mine seem splashy and I would be interested in others experiences with this part number rather it be the sensa-trac or the OESpectrum as the OESpectrum may offer improvements that the sensa-trac did not offer.

Thanks for all responses, including Ill_Born_ss, as I would have been unaware of the changes without the response.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the KYB's. They are a better strut. Monroes are always on the soft side.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
Get the KYB's. They are a better strut. Monroes are always on the soft side.
Not to mention, Monroes might last you 6 months in normal driving before they start to seriously degrade.

Their quality has gone way down hill in the past several years.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Kyb for GXP grand prix

I could really use some help with kyb can anyone please give mexan exact model number for all 4 struts i almost bought sensatrac although the a/c delco are available im confused about all this i love the bilstein but way to expensive what evactly is, ac delco ..oem. ? Would it come as bilstein? So confused ..thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ignazio
I could really use some help with kyb can anyone please give mexan exact model number for all 4 struts i almost bought sensatrac although the a/c delco are available im confused about all this i love the bilstein but way to expensive what evactly is, ac delco ..oem. ? Would it come as bilstein? So confused ..thanks in advance
The OEM Bilsteins for the GXP are ~$160 each for the rears an ~$210 each for the fronts on Amazon. Not cheap but definitely not expensive for what you're grtting.

ACDelco is GM's parts house. Just like Mopar for Chrysler and Motorcraft for Ford.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:36 AM

1st thank you vry much i did not realize i had replies , ok so gxp has new rack and now at dealer for trans line ive decided im gonna go with kyb can you lemme know which one i should get ? excel -g ? amazon has the front ac delco 227.00 front & 157 rear each, but everyone i speak to says i shouldnt spend the money because of miles 183 k car is in great cond but have no idea if tranny was rebuitl or any other things done to it car fax is clear says trans was ''serviced at 90k'' i think this car may be with me for a long time i love the way it handled and sat a bit taller with bistein i do put aftermarket wheels on in the summer i dont know if that changes anything at any rate what would you do? thanks again
Old 02-27-2015, 06:17 AM

2-27-2015 ac delco fronts 237.00 each ...rear 200.00 i just ordered the fronts and went back and the rears went up 70$ over night makes me sick ( Amazon ) if anyone knowa where to find rears cheaper plz let me know
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why you guys bother with the Monroe gRare garbage. Grab some kyb agx struts and be done with it. There also cheaper some of the prices I have seen listed in this thread. Plus there adjustable.

Quick Reply: Sensa-Trac Struts