LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Input seal leaking after 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input seal leaking after 2000 miles

So a few of you guys know that i have horrible luck keeping a trans in my car so after installing a few myself i was over it and brought it to shop and had them build + R&R The trans charged me 1800 with 3 year warranty With all my hard parts so i got her back about 3 weeks ago and the other noticed a bad leak coming from the converter area brought it to the shop and they are pulling to see what went wrong.. I have a rebuilt version on a precision of new hampton billet converter in there and the reason its rebuilt is becouse they suck and sent two converters in a row that fucked up my trans thus being the reason for letting a shop cover it and there converter company opened up mine and said its a nice converter just built wrong so they fixed it and used it well now it leaking the owner of the shop thinks it could be the converter that took out the input seal any thoughts on this????
Old 01-02-2015, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

just wondering why didn't u use tep for tranny and converter they seem to have a great rep and when i emailed them before i just bought 06 ss they were very helpful and gave advice for no charge
Old 01-02-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m1a2d3
just wondering why didn't u use tep for tranny and converter they seem to have a great rep and when i emailed them before i just bought 06 ss they were very helpful and gave advice for no charge
The guy Who did my trans is very good and i snapped the chain a 15/16 setup then she was good for awhile till she was on boost and i twisted the pump shaft IN All honesty i just wish i would of had a local shop do it from the gate why? Well Tep and my builder are very good but when something goes wrong i have to pull it out or pay someone Witch i learned that the hard way might i have been better off with Tep no one will know My question here is not about what i should of done!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
So a few of you guys know that i have horrible luck keeping a trans in my car so after installing a few myself i was over it and brought it to shop and had them build + R&R The trans charged me 1800 with 3 year warranty With all my hard parts so i got her back about 3 weeks ago and the other noticed a bad leak coming from the converter area brought it to the shop and they are pulling to see what went wrong.. I have a rebuilt version on a precision of new hampton billet converter in there and the reason its rebuilt is becouse they suck and sent two converters in a row that fucked up my trans thus being the reason for letting a shop cover it and there converter company opened up mine and said its a nice converter just built wrong so they fixed it and used it well now it leaking the owner of the shop thinks it could be the converter that took out the input seal any thoughts on this????
The warranty you paid for does not cover this ? if not kind of defys the point regardless if it was caused by converter or not. Anyways wish i could be more help. Did they even replace the seals on the input shaft with new ones when rebuilt ? I don't see how the conveter could of taken out an input seal but im no expert , Might wanna shoot dave a email and see if he can help you, hes very nice guy and im sure he would not mind answering some questions for you even tho you decided to use someone else hehe
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sint3k
The warranty you paid for does not cover this ? if not kind of defys the point regardless if it was caused by converter or not. Anyways wish i could be more help. Did they even replace the seals on the input shaft with new ones when rebuilt ? I don't see how the conveter could of taken out an input seal but im no expert , Might wanna shoot dave a email and see if he can help you, hes very nice guy and im sure he would not mind answering some questions for you even tho you decided to use someone else hehe
There covering it 100% im just trying figure out what happened myself and yes all the seals were replaced
Old 01-03-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

There covering it 100% im just trying figure out what happened myself and yes all the seals were replaced
Ive never heard of anything like that personally sounds to me more then anything the seal was damaged during the Torque converter installation. I can see how not lining it up right and just cramming it down on there could shorten there life , your scaring me with the storys about installing your transmission 3 times lol Hopefully my TEP will hold up for at least 50k miles
Old 01-03-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive never heard of anything like that personally sounds to me more then anything the seal was damaged during the Torque converter installation. I can see how not lining it up right and just cramming it down on there could shorten there life , your scaring me with the storys about installing your transmission 3 times lol Hopefully my TEP will hold up for at least 50k miles
Well I hope so to buddy for your sake atleast i had a lift doing it i couldnt imagine doing it on the ground
I guess they got it back out today but they didnt call me hope to get my car back monday

And to add to my hell i have a turbo witch does not make things any easier
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I hope so to buddy for your sake atleast i had a lift doing it i couldnt imagine doing it on the ground
I guess they got it back out today but they didnt call me hope to get my car back monday

And to add to my hell i have a turbo witch does not make things any easier
You have a lift at your house or you have a garage you can go to , ive been tihnking of getting a lift for 2k a full lift.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a lift at your house or you have a garage you can go to , ive been thinking of getting a lift for 2k a full lift.
At my work i have full access I work a full out custom car shop i am a audio fabricator/tech and we have a dyno on our performance side its a mans paradise
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What input shaft is installed? (there are different seals for each one)
Was the TC shimmed properly and torqued with new bolts and loctite?
Was the flexplate inspected?
Was a new pilot bushing used and properly seated?
What is the case to chain measurement (if to tight or to loose it will cause wobble in the shaft and possible seal leakage at the input shaft seal)
My flexplate had a stress fracture radiating just outboard of the mounting bolts on the crank flange. I could feel a slight flutter/ vibration at/ around 1850 rpm and sometimes during WOT a snap upon release of go pedal.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
What input shaft is installed? (there are different seals for each one)
Was the TC shimmed properly and torqued with new bolts and loctite?
Was the flexplate inspected?
Was a new pilot bushing used and properly seated?
What is the case to chain measurement (if to tight or to loose it will cause wobble in the shaft and possible seal leakage at the input shaft seal)
My flexplate had a stress fracture radiating just outboard of the mounting bolts on the crank flange. I could feel a slight flutter/ vibration at/ around 1850 rpm and sometimes during WOT a snap upon release of go pedal.
Ok i know that all new bushings were installed and clearances checked its a zzp 300m shaft and i just picked it up around 6pm 1/8/15 and it was good for about 40miles and its leaking worses than ever they said it was a weld on the converter neck and that was fixed i had it towed back up there so ill talk to them in the morning

Quick Reply: Input seal leaking after 2000 miles