LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thermostat

Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all like custom things... the idea of doing it in metal (al or ss) is an epic idea, take your time and do it right the first time! As for the thermostat and the fans I will stick with my recommendations for your setup. Also 210* steady state coolant temp is required temp in almost all vehicles today for a lot of very good reasons... no matter where you live.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
We all like custom things... the idea of doing it in metal (al or ss) is an epic idea, take your time and do it right the first time! As for the thermostat and the fans I will stick with my recommendations for your setup. Also 210* steady state coolant temp is required temp in almost all vehicles today for a lot of very good reasons... no matter where you live.
can't really make that case when your car is not stock anymore. And especially with the rear bank on a fwd car. You want it to run cooler within reason. The amount of detonation even with a stock tune and motor in good condition can be alarming. 192 to 200 is a very acceptable coolant range especially for a modded ls4
Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

food for thought....

i have an alero that i changed out the coolant on to the green stuff from dexcool because of all the purported damage that it causes. Started running hot. Switched back to the dexcool and the problem went away. Result - Dexcool does a better job of removing heat than the green stuff. Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Mine runs the exact Same temps no over heating. Then again i took the time to flush twice over two weeks and make sure i bled the system
Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Mine runs the exact Same temps no over heating. Then again i took the time to flush twice over two weeks and make sure i bled the system
Good info on Dec cool, but I have also flushed the system multiple times. Next weekend I'll be doing a full super flush using a machine I have access to. Along with some other things so we'll see how it goes.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well after going through several gallons of coolant for texting. Conclusion the thermostats I bought from oreillys weren't opening when they should of. Put stock back in temps were fine whole driving. But according to a thermometer on a stock the stock one I have starts opening at 184 and the one I got from oreillys starts opening at 189. And the summit one that just came is (180°) opens at 181. So bam maybe I solved my problem lol
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

DexCool for sure over aftermarket fluid. It's made for the car. If your DexCool is going bad after only 1 year, you have an issue with contaminant getting into the system. DexCool gets a bad rap IMO. If the system is clean, this stuff is king.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM

even the magazine LS motor rebuilds get rid of Dex cool. It didn't get a bad rap for no reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat