LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

new to LS motors, opinions on a potential build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lVloses
Again if you relocate the power steering reservoir there is absolutely no need to hack up the manifold. However the epoxy putty is stronger than the plastic the manifold is made of so I wouldn't worry about it breaking off in the first place. You're hardly dealing with any vacuum to begin with on a NA setup anyway.
How would moving the power steering reservoir prevent the need to make adjustments for OPSU clearance and a mounting point for the map sensor? Also, wouldnt I still need a throttle body adapter to allow the LS6 manifold to work with the OBX crossover pipe?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
How would moving the power steering reservoir prevent the need to make adjustments for OPSU clearance and a mounting point for the map sensor? Also, wouldnt I still need a throttle body adapter to allow the LS6 manifold to work with the OBX crossover pipe?
You can mount the MAP where it mounts on the LS6 manifold. Yes you will need a TB adapter because the LS4 is a 4 bolt and the LS6 is a 3 bolt TB. However if you go with a LS2 TB you don't need an adapter on a FAST 92 and I'm not sure about an LS2 IM. Also for any intake swap you'll have to adjust for the OPSU. You can either weld the OPSU bung at a different angle or do a physical DoD delete and use a different valley cover. None of that involves hacking up the IM or using epoxy putty.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to be doing the physical DoD delete, just not sure which valley cover to use, the scoggin kit says it comes with the LS3 valley cover.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to be doing the physical DoD delete, just not sure which valley cover to use, the scoggin kit says it comes with the LS3 valley cover.
I went with the Katech cover. It was pricey but it works like a charm.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it as why mess with an intake limited to the size of the inlet? No matter how much you port it out it will always be restricted there. I guarantee a simple intake swap would yield better results than any amount of porting that junk ls4 intake.

also..has no one ever used plastic welding here? makes relocating pretty easy.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I see it as why mess with an intake limited to the size of the inlet? No matter how much you port it out it will always be restricted there. I guarantee a simple intake swap would yield better results than any amount of porting that junk ls4 intake.

also..has no one ever used plastic welding here? makes relocating pretty easy.
lol plastic welding is not as easy as it looks, so ill run the LS6 manifold, but does that still leave me with needing a TB adapter? I see the LS6 manifold is 4 bolt, but the TB neck looks like its angled differently. Since im not gonna pay for the fasterproms ported LS4, I decided that the LS2 cam and 1.8 roller rockers probably wont be the way to go, ill go with a 210/218 .551 114LSA cam and cut the 1.8 rockers out of the equation completely.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol plastic welding is not as easy as it looks, so ill run the LS6 manifold, but does that still leave me with needing a TB adapter? I see the LS6 manifold is 4 bolt, but the TB neck looks like its angled differently. Since im not gonna pay for the fasterproms ported LS4, I decided that the LS2 cam and 1.8 roller rockers probably wont be the way to go, ill go with a 210/218 .551 114LSA cam and cut the 1.8 rockers out of the equation completely.
Trust me I have done a lot of it on my own manifold. I got pretty good at it quick. Thought the ls6 was 3 bolt and the ls2 was the 4 bolt.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Reread what I posted earlier. LS6 is a 3 bolt and the LS4 is a 4 bolt. You'll need an adapter. And most if not all of your questions regarding the intake swap have been answered in the sticky as well lol.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Launching!

I'm just always hesitant with headers. I had both OBX and Pacesetter on my Malibu and it was a constant battle to stop exhaust leaks. Exhaust leaks kept throwing off my tune and as a result clogging my catalytic converter from running rich. The car ran right only a few times after the headers. I could easily have been a one off case (I had a flex and solid motor/trans mounts too), but the constant headache on a DD drove me nuts!

Headers are hardly something that would effect reliability, its the chopped up nature of the ls6 manifold conversion that i dont trust. Covering holes with putty, self tapping screws in plastic. I wouldnt want to have something fall out and break and leave me on the side of the highway in my dd. Thats the only reason i have reservations.

Quick Reply: new to LS motors, opinions on a potential build