LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I think my tranny is getting bad..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my tranny is getting bad..

Ever since I owned the car it has had the odd Rev and clunk. Now though it's starting to shudder under light load when turning from a stop sign. It's done it a few times over the last week or so. I have a lew tune and at first it made it better but now the symptoms are coming back. Ive also noticed ever since I got lews tune it's shuddered a little the odd time under a wot run going from 1st to 2nd.

Is my tranny on its way out or will it just continue to this crap for a while?

And what's the bare minimum I can get from TEP to repair/fix the issue? I don't have a whole lot of money right now so it's hard for me to do an entire overhaul.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Bad news, sorry for your troubles. My tranny lasted about a month when that begun. I was at a stop light and it just sat there. I moved the shifter a few times got very lucky, she went into 4th gear and I made it home.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gilroy222
Ever since I owned the car it has had the odd Rev and clunk. Now though it's starting to shudder under light load when turning from a stop sign. It's done it a few times over the last week or so. I have a lew tune and at first it made it better but now the symptoms are coming back. Ive also noticed ever since I got lews tune it's shuddered a little the odd time under a wot run going from 1st to 2nd.

Is my tranny on its way out or will it just continue to this crap for a while?

And what's the bare minimum I can get from TEP to repair/fix the issue? I don't have a whole lot of money right now so it's hard for me to do an entire overhaul.
While everyone here seems to use TEP, I bet that is going to be expensive to ship to New Jersey from Canada. Surely there has to be someone more local who could do something decent. I have had this rev/clunk for almost 3 years now in my car, just hit 105k. Read this post I made, maybe this could help. Its been about a month since I did this and my car is much better, the rev/clunk has not come back since. Its for sure not fixed but what I did helped and it may help yours as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...rans-tune.html
Old 04-03-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
While everyone here seems to use TEP, I bet that is going to be expensive to ship to New Jersey from Canada. Surely there has to be someone more local who could do something decent. I have had this rev/clunk for almost 3 years now in my car, just hit 105k. Read this post I made, maybe this could help. Its been about a month since I did this and my car is much better, the rev/clunk has not come back since. Its for sure not fixed but what I did helped and it may help yours as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...rans-tune.html
TEP is in fort wayne indiana lol
Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, thought thought they were in NJ.Still no better for someone from Canada.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
Sorry, thought thought they were in NJ.Still no better for someone from Canada.
I wish, would make sending my transmission for work a wholeeee lot easier.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Round trip shipping for a transmission is around 350 dollars. I will tell you right now, any local transmission shop you take it to will replace the bear minimum , i bet if you ask how much an extended warranty is it will be around 600 bucks. They then use this money to replace more parts to prevent your return. I know because one of my tenants works for an eagle transmission and i STILL send my transmission to Dave.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you're in Canada I would call Kevin at cartuning performance he is very good and has built many high Hp setups and is very good give him a call
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Well if you're in Canada I would call Kevin at cartuning performance he is very good and has built many high Hp setups and is very good give him a call
I forgot about cartuning being here in Ontario. Ya I'll get a hold of em, thanks man. I have very few options for when it does fail since GM will just replace with the same crap parts and I'm willing to bet that it'd actually be more expensive from the dealer vs. getting the kit from Dave.

Transmission shops around here don't know a whole lot about these cars just from personal experience when I was getting a tranny cooler.

Quick Reply: I think my tranny is getting bad..