LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thinking about buying a GXP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about buying a GXP

Hi, thinking about buying a GXP, been looking for a few months now trying to find a lower mileage car with no luck.
Today I found out about an 05 I could get pretty cheap, good news is it has a new (rebuilt) tranny in it. Bad news (?) is it has 126K on it.
What are your opinions on buying a car with that kind of mileage? How do these motors last?
I should add I do have HPTuners so I could do the programming to take out the DOD and any necessary trans mods to make it live.
Any opinions would be helpful.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I believe the ls4 is a very reliable motor. Got my gxp with 142,000 miles on it. Now has 153,000. The only thing is it burns oil like mad. Pretty sure its because of the DOD. I have DOD turned off but its already too far gone. Im sure the rings are caked with carbon. Other than that she runs pretty strong. The first thing I would do is use hp tuners to turn off DOD. And maybe change the plugs. I did that a couple weeks ago and the 4 plugs in the deactivated cylinders were pretty nasty
Old 04-25-2015, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CrimsonGXP
I believe the ls4 is a very reliable motor. Got my gxp with 142,000 miles on it. Now has 153,000. The only thing is it burns oil like mad. Pretty sure its because of the DOD. I have DOD turned off but its already too far gone. Im sure the rings are caked with carbon. Other than that she runs pretty strong. The first thing I would do is use hp tuners to turn off DOD. And maybe change the plugs. I did that a couple weeks ago and the 4 plugs in the deactivated cylinders were pretty nasty
Thanks, I just talked to the guy and apparently he's just had a tune up done on it, new plugs and wires, has all the receipts for it.
He told me oil consumption wasn't too bad on it, but then he is trying to sell a car.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuning will definatley increase the life of what you have pending the necessity of the shift kit trans cooler and filter replacement
Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get it!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a GXP