LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission Finally Died

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Finally Died

Well I felt so lucky getting to 75,000 miles without problems. Early spring the rpm started oscillating and the tcc started acting up. About 500 miles later all gears would whine n grind once the car heated up.

Today at 76,800 miles the car was grinding even in park and I lost all gears at a busy traffic light. Fortunately I was able to turn the car off, sit 5 minutes, restart and move until I had to stop again. After 30 minutes of fun I finally made it home. I guess I'm lucky to get the extra 1800 miles out of it.

My question is: I am stock except for a catback and considering if I should find a local shop or go to Dave at TEP. I live in Dayton, OH so I'm a few hours from Ft Wayne, IN. I don't need expensive performance upgrades but would like to keep my car running another 50,000 miles.

Is there anything I can tear into in the driveway to fix??
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heavyft
Well I felt so lucky getting to 75,000 miles without problems. Early spring the rpm started oscillating and the tcc started acting up. About 500 miles later all gears would whine n grind once the car heated up.

Today at 76,800 miles the car was grinding even in park and I lost all gears at a busy traffic light. Fortunately I was able to turn the car off, sit 5 minutes, restart and move until I had to stop again. After 30 minutes of fun I finally made it home. I guess I'm lucky to get the extra 1800 miles out of it.

My question is: I am stock except for a catback and considering if I should find a local shop or go to Dave at TEP. I live in Dayton, OH so I'm a few hours from Ft Wayne, IN. I don't need expensive performance upgrades but would like to keep my car running another 50,000 miles.

Is there anything I can tear into in the driveway to fix??
Dave @ TEP Is the only way go take it from me who had several people/shops do my trans yea i beat on mine probably would of been fine for grandma but most shops will hit you for 1500-2k for R&R and rebuild just bring the car to Dave have him do it and be done drive your car another 100k
Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TEP has a long turn around though don't they? Not saying don't go there... been on several forums and everyone recommends them. Have just read their turn arounds can be slow from the high amount of transmissions they do.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Freak
TEP has a long turn around though don't they? Not saying don't go there... been on several forums and everyone recommends them. Have just read their turn arounds can be slow from the high amount of transmissions they do.
Yeah it can be, I waited over 3 months for mine. Then again other members have gotten theirs in just a couple weeks.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wait was around 3 months as well
Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

250°F transmission fluid temperature and TCC lock up issues with the rev. hunting. Transmission fluid has a tinge of brown and I just replaced it about a year ago.

I'm not driving the car anymore.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
250°F transmission fluid temperature and TCC lock up issues with the rev. hunting. Transmission fluid has a tinge of brown and I just replaced it about a year ago.

Do you not have transferred cooler or tune? When's the last time you changed your fluid
Old 05-12-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Do you not have transferred cooler or tune? When's the last time you changed your fluid
I changed out the filter, fluid, and pan in July 2014.

No I did not install a cooler since I haven't had any issues and I don't drive it hard. Likewise, the cooler instructions are as bad as the LS1 intake instructions.

The car's been paid off for years so I think it's time to move on to something else.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks. What is rev. hunting? Not finding reverse? When mine finally goes no way I wait 3 months for a TEP transmission if the car is still on the road, thats insane. Start shopping locally to try to find someone you feel could do the job. Maybe just purchase the kit from TEP?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed out the filter, fluid, and pan in July 2014.

No I did not install a cooler since I haven't had any issues and I don't drive it hard. Likewise, the cooler instructions are as bad as the LS1 intake instructions.

The car's been paid off for years so I think it's time to move on to something else.
The cooler install threads here are very confusing, but having just done it I can say it wasn't really that bad. May be too late now although if you keep the car one should be installed. You have some nice work in that car, and its good looking. I have considered walking away over this tranny many times, starting over with a car payment usually changes my mind. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
That sucks. What is rev. hunting? Not finding reverse? When mine finally goes no way I wait 3 months for a TEP transmission if the car is still on the road, thats insane. Start shopping locally to try to find someone you feel could do the job. Maybe just purchase the kit from TEP?
http://tripleedgeperformance.com/TCC...cillation.html
Old 05-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

installing a trans cooler is easy and as always we can walk you through the process I have a video up on YouTube.

As far as letting the trans go like that though you know that it would do this eventually.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well start with the easy thing an clean the mass air flow sensor as it says in the article as that could be part of the problem and see if it helps at all. I had good results with the transmission seafoam treatment, you could read my post on that it may help if you decide to change the fluid. I have pictures of the tranny cooler install in a post as well, it helped mine but you will need to go stand alone living in Florida I'm sure as the temps are much warmer there.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
installing a trans cooler is easy and as always we can walk you through the process I have a video up on YouTube.

As far as letting the trans go like that though you know that it would do this eventually.
I didn't let the transaxle go. Like I mentioned, I changed out the fluid and filter and even purchased that Dorman pan with the drain plug less than a year ago. Just because it was bound to happen doesn't mean I neglected it nor abused it.

The car is paid off and has been for years so it'll just sit and I'll be buying a new car.

These cars have quite a few problems so I'm not in much of a rush to get it fixed anytime soon.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't let the transaxle go. Like I mentioned, I changed out the fluid and filter and even purchased that Dorman pan with the drain plug less than a year ago. Just because it was bound to happen doesn't mean I neglected it nor abused it.

The car is paid off and has been for years so it'll just sit and I'll be buying a new car.

These cars have quite a few problems so I'm not in much of a rush to get it fixed anytime soon.
dorman has a pan with a drain plug???
Old 05-13-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
dorman has a pan with a drain plug???
Amazon.com: Dorman 265-814 Transmission Pan: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 265-814 Transmission Pan: Automotive
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm getting it

Quick Reply: Transmission Finally Died