LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 monte ss, installed shiftkit, no change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 monte ss, installed shiftkit, no change?

i got around to dropping the tranny pan to replace with a pan that has a drain plug in it, dropped and replaced fluid with dexron 6, installed new filter, and installed my transgo shift kit, as well as a big trans cooler. upon disassembly of everything, the fluid was starting to get dark. but inspecting the pan, i had no chunks of material anywhere. just a very silver trans magnet. i expected the silver magnet tho, as the car has 78k and i believe its the first time the trans fluid has been replaced. car didnt have any hesitation, searching for gears or any other issues. i tore the what i think is called the regulator out, to put in the shift kit. deglazed the bores for those pistons as mine were really polished. put it all back together. topped fluids back off, and took for a testdrive to continue to bleed the air out of the system. i was easy on it for the first 20 miles or so. then i did do some sprited driving to see if i can notice the new shift kit. which to my surprise, i cant notice any improvement, or any decrease in performance.

ever since i got the car, you cant feel it shift, or hear it if you drive it normal, and not beating or "enjoying the v8 power". i recently did a muffler delete on the car, so now i can hear things better, but still cant feel or hear transmission shifting. it almot sounds like a cvt car. just stays at a certain rpm until at highway speeds. if i drive sprited like, you can see tach at shifting and hear it shift as well.
but i thought with the shift kit it would be alot firmer on shifts between 1-2 and 2-3. but like i said i dont notice it
i do have a 91 octane tune in it from a diablo intune. and did put a tranny tune in it for firm shifts already
Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly, your not supposed to notice it, what it does it allows the car to shift faster, you dont want it to slam into every gear, thats not healthy. What you described sounds exactly like the shift kit at work, very fast shifts. You would need a line pressure booster kit to actually see a noticeable difference in that respect.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

ok. thanks for that response. i honestly didnt know.
when i chucked the trans in a old truck of mine, it was rebuilt, and they put in a shift kit, and that would slam gears hard. so i expected the same in the monte.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on the trans and the shift kit honestly, ive noticed that on alot of older RWD trannys they shift really hard after shift kits. Also dont really know what your diablo tune is doing to the trans either without being able to see the tune data.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

ya i dont know what the tune is doing either. home pc puked on me, so trying to save for a new pc, and then upload data from inune
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28
i got around to dropping the tranny pan to replace with a pan that has a drain plug in it,
What pan did you put in? ZZP or other?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I installed a doorman pan with a drain plug. Perfect fit

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=321566017518&alt=web
Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Honestly,

I noticed significant change in my super; however I also had a tune.

Biggest change is the downshift for me.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
Honestly,

I noticed significant change in my super; however I also had a tune.

Biggest change is the downshift for me.
Who did your tune I haven't seen much of any support for the supers? Sorry for all the noon questions. I'm just flip flopping between HP and a Lewtune
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Aktid_35
Who did your tune I haven't seen much of any support for the supers? Sorry for all the noon questions. I'm just flip flopping between HP and a Lewtune
A local person whom I know pretty well tuned my car.
Diablo tuner will do it as well (you can go thru Lew on this site to get a more customized tune).

Any competent individual with HP Tuners can tune it as well.

Quick Reply: 06 monte ss, installed shiftkit, no change?