LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New engine time??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine time??

So it sounds like I have a little rod knock It sounds like a little flutter/bottom end ticking. It has just started doing this within the week. The same thing happened to my friends mustang. So I have 2 options. First I can bring it in and get it fixed or rebuilt. But that would be very expensive. I am also going to need a new trans soon too. I cant afford both considering I start collage this fall. My other option is to just buy a slightly used ls4 and I can put it in myself with the help of a friend. What would you guys do? Also, how long do you think my current engine has if I treat it nicely? It still runs well.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Is there a chance its a collapsed lifter? Its more of a loud, hard tick than a knock...
Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Being that you are young and college bound on a limited budget probably I would weigh all options carefully. This motor doesn't look like much fun getting out or back in, make sure if that is something you are considering you have someone who has some good knowledge of this for help. Back in the day when motors came in and out easy I have seen many people pull it, swap in a fresh set of bearings with a little polish on the crank journals and its lasts for some time. These motors have much tighter tolerances than the older motors, so not sure if that is really an option here. Try to get it on a lift and confirm the noise is coming from the pan if possible, you would hate to go thru all that work for an incorrect diagnose. Also unless you actually hear the replacement motor running, do not be surprised if it has noise as well(have seen and heard that many times). If it is knocking it really doesn't have too long if you baby it or not. Maybe try some Risolene engine treatment to bide you some time, it may or may not help but wont hurt anything for sure.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These Motors Are More Known For Lifters Than Rod Problems Definitely Get A Good Diagnosis. Are you still using the dod? Do you have a way to scan for misfires? I just went through this I had a misfire issue on and off for 5000 miles or so then a dod lifter spun sideways in the guide no knock at all thow and the motor is not the easiest thing to do i just did it took me about 2 days in total I have a lift and plenty of certified help
Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

There are 2 different noises. one is there all the time. Which I think is lifter. Then when you rev it up slow you can hear a flutter/slight knocking that sounds like it comes from the bottom of the engine. My friends mustang started doing the same thing and now his engine sounds like a blender grinding bolts. I have another friend that put 3 different engines in one car. It was the 3.5 v6 based off the northstar v8. His engine bay looked more cramped than mine because the dohc engine takes up more space than the pushrod v8. He would let me use his garage and cherry picker. I found an ls4 with 90k on it for 600 bucks. I can get ones with around 60k for around a grand.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
These Motors Are More Known For Lifters Than Rod Problems Definitely Get A Good Diagnosis. Are you still using the dod? Do you have a way to scan for misfires? I just went through this I had a misfire issue on and off for 5000 miles or so then a dod lifter spun sideways in the guide no knock at all thow and the motor is not the easiest thing to do i just did it took me about 2 days in total I have a lift and plenty of certified help
No I have had dod turned off for almost a year. What were some problems you ran into when you were doing your motor?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonGXP
There are 2 different noises. one is there all the time. Which I think is lifter. Then when you rev it up slow you can hear a flutter/slight knocking that sounds like it comes from the bottom of the engine. My friends mustang started doing the same thing and now his engine sounds like a blender grinding bolts. I have another friend that put 3 different engines in one car. It was the 3.5 v6 based off the northstar v8. His engine bay looked more cramped than mine because the dohc engine takes up more space than the pushrod v8. He would let me use his garage and cherry picker. I found an ls4 with 90k on it for 600 bucks. I can get ones with around 60k for around a grand.
It's possible to pull it up from the top (I just did that last night for the new cam) but space is very very tight. The issue is clearing the flywheel from the bell housing on the transmission. Had to rock the transmission back and remove the balanced bolt and then it just barely came out. If it's just a lifter I'd find out which side it is and pull the head in the car. It's a lot less work.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lVloses
It's possible to pull it up from the top (I just did that last night for the new cam) but space is very very tight. The issue is clearing the flywheel from the bell housing on the transmission. Had to rock the transmission back and remove the balanced bolt and then it just barely came out. If it's just a lifter I'd find out which side it is and pull the head in the car. It's a lot less work.
Is it possible to drop the engine and trans out the bottom as one piece? Then do the same on the way back in?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that's the more common way but requires a vehicle lift. I only had the engine lift so out the top it went.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lVloses
Yes, that's the more common way but requires a vehicle lift. I only had the engine lift so out the top it went.
I should be able to get it high enough to drop it out the bottom and put the new engine and trans in that way too. The only thing is that since the new engine is going to be out of the car I'm going to want to do something to it. Im contemplating a cam swap

Quick Reply: New engine time??