LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need some feedback on hptuners, and wheels and tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some feedback on hptuners, and wheels and tires.

Just want to see if i could get some feedback from some of you guys who already have modified your cars if there are any out there.

I'm looking for people tuned with HPtuners to share their tune files so i can examine spark advance tables that have been dyno tuned specifically, im also looking for guys with 3.29 gears to compare shift mph tables and TCC lockup tables.

Another thing im looking for is from those of you with the GXP brakes who have changed wheels, have any of you run any other sets of factory wheels and been able to clear the brakes with no issues?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

theres a ls4 tune file repository in the sticky section. Its not like the brakes on the GXP will hit anything the calipers dont really stick out more than any other wbody brakes do so long as you have the right diameter and stick with the factory offset you will be fine. you could also really benefit from some tr6 plugs instead of the tr5s you used. i can tell you off bat that you need to have your lock up set to 100 and min can be around 70-80 ish it will feel like a 5th gear when it locks. i moved my lock up to about 61mph you might want it lower 50ish since your gears are changed.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone seen any benefit to running the TR6 plugs?
Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running those car hits hard I just got mad wireset so I can give u a update in a few days when I put them on
Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 AM

It's pretty much the standard for ls4s to run. Especially in your case with a slight bump in compression and the cam you will see less kr.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the difference between the TR5's, TR55's and TR6's? It would seem like the TR55's are a 5.5 heat range plug but i didnt know they made them in half heat ranges. There is no other distinguishable difference in the TR55 code. They even come in TR55GP and IX as well.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The IX plugs are iridium, not sure of the differences between the other plugs you listed.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Only diffrence is gap with tr5 and tr55. Tr55 has a bigger gap range. Naturally the tr6 a step colder plug.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my tune I have no KR on my stock plugs.. would there still be a point in upgrading to tr6?

Car gets only a drive around the block about once a week if I'm not home so I'm concerned about fouling...
Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
After my tune I have no KR on my stock plugs.. would there still be a point in upgrading to tr6?

Car gets only a drive around the block about once a week if I'm not home so I'm concerned about fouling...
Well i had 0 KR on my tune, however as I came to find out at the track that tune was also pulling 9* of timing off the base high octane table due to IAT. Once you eliminate that table, you have to tune the base timing table down to 0 KR. That's what allowed me to pick up the mph i was looking for, was still in the process of tuning that table by the end of the night, so ive been looking for some comparison files to see if anyone has done this on these cars yet. Seems like only the LS4's have issues with running the same timing as the other RWD v8's. We run 28* of timing on a zeroed out IAT table on my buddies 5.7 with zero issues at all, this car only seems to be able to get about 21-22* before it starts to ping.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by spawne32
Well i had 0 KR on my tune, however as I came to find out at the track that tune was also pulling 9* of timing off the base high octane table due to IAT. Once you eliminate that table, you have to tune the base timing table down to 0 KR. That's what allowed me to pick up the mph i was looking for, was still in the process of tuning that table by the end of the night, so ive been looking for some comparison files to see if anyone has done this on these cars yet. Seems like only the LS4's have issues with running the same timing as the other RWD v8's. We run 28* of timing on a zeroed out IAT table on my buddies 5.7 with zero issues at all, this car only seems to be able to get about 21-22* before it starts to ping.
I told you where to look, you can defiantly get more timing, but I wouldn't obsess over it till you get the air it needs and a upgraded maf and that wideband.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I told you where to look, you can defiantly get more timing, but I wouldn't obsess over it till you get the air it needs and a upgraded maf and that wideband.
I downloaded all those tune files, none of them had what i was looking for, and the one with gear changes had 3.69's. Everyone seems to be doing it the wrong way by tuning the base table up to the 30's, thats not what i want to do. I want to make a more realistic table. Tune the base table with no IAT adjustments within the normal operating air temperature the car typically see's and then come up with a new IAT adjustment table that limits the amount of timing that can be pulled to a max of like 3 degrees above that typical operating range, which seems to be a max of 140* on back to back hot laps. Hopefully the TR6 plugs i ordered will help like you said and I can get it up to about 24-25* of timing with no IAT adjustments being made, id be very happy with that. All of the tuners I spoke with said that the LS4's for some reason don't like running at the 28* of timing that the RWD cars like to run.

I have 4 more ports to work on the intake and im gonna do the mock up, and in 3 weeks ill be ordering the rest of the parts for that swap, gonna see how it does with the current maf so i dont have to alter scaling just yet, and then ill consider the MAF upgrade after once all that's in and i see the results. I wanna do steps at a time right now to eliminate potential variables if problems arise. I have a feeling this manifold and TB swap is going to give me exactly what im looking for right now without needing to alter the maf yet. If anything im worried about pegging out the maf, which is the reason why id be doing the upgrade more then anything.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 PM

I downloaded all those tune files, none of them had what i was looking for, and the one with gear changes had 3.69's. Everyone seems to be doing it the wrong way by tuning the base table up to the 30's, thats not what i want to do. I want to make a more realistic table. Tune the base table with no IAT adjustments within the normal operating air temperature the car typically see's and then come up with a new IAT adjustment table that limits the amount of timing that can be pulled to a max of like 3 degrees above that typical operating range, which seems to be a max of 140* on back to back hot laps. Hopefully the TR6 plugs i ordered will help like you said and I can get it up to about 24-25* of timing with no IAT adjustments being made, id be very happy with that. All of the tuners I spoke with said that the LS4's for some reason don't like running at the 28* of timing that the RWD cars like to run.

I have 4 more ports to work on the intake and im gonna do the mock up, and in 3 weeks ill be ordering the rest of the parts for that swap, gonna see how it does with the current maf so i dont have to alter scaling just yet, and then ill consider the MAF upgrade after once all that's in and i see the results. I wanna do steps at a time right now to eliminate potential variables if problems arise. I have a feeling this manifold and TB swap is going to give me exactly what im looking for right now without needing to alter the maf yet. If anything im worried about pegging out the maf, which is the reason why id be doing the upgrade more then anything.
The maf conversion alone is cheap and its worth some whp. You'll need one anyway when your new manifold and tb get to you anyway as it would be ridiculous to run a 3.25 inch maf with a new 4.00 inch intake piping.I mean card mafs are like 40 bucks. That's why I'm saying you should not be concerned wit baseline anything until your parts are on and you get the wideband in. Fueling can be a big part of your problem with kr.

Also have you tried reducing your burst knock air delta table? Try 10% off
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The maf conversion alone is cheap and its worth some whp. You'll need one anyway when your new manifold and tb get to you anyway as it would be ridiculous to run a 3.25 inch maf with a new 4.00 inch intake piping.I mean card mafs are like 40 bucks. That's why I'm saying you should not be concerned wit baseline anything until your parts are on and you get the wideband in. Fueling can be a big part of your problem with kr.

Also have you tried reducing your burst knock air delta table? Try 10% off
The wideband will be here thursday, im doing the bung this weekend so ill have fueling tuned sometime this weekend. The maf upgrade is only a matter of time. Burst knock is completely disabled on this car, never been a fan of a prediction based knock retard feature. I let the actual knock retard do its job and go from there, my attack and decay rates have been adjusted accordingly.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 AM

The wideband will be here thursday, im doing the bung this weekend so ill have fueling tuned sometime this weekend. The maf upgrade is only a matter of time. Burst knock is completely disabled on this car, never been a fan of a prediction based knock retard feature. I let the actual knock retard do its job and go from there, my attack and decay rates have been adjusted accordingly.
I forgot to ask you mind posting your .hpl file so we can look at your scan?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to ask you mind posting your .hpl file so we can look at your scan?
i dumped all the logs from that night after i was finished making changes but the next time i datalog ill post up the results.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just want to see if i could get some feedback from some of you guys who already have modified your cars if there are any out there.

I'm looking for people tuned with HPtuners to share their tune files so i can examine spark advance tables that have been dyno tuned specifically, im also looking for guys with 3.29 gears to compare shift mph tables and TCC lockup tables.

Another thing im looking for is from those of you with the GXP brakes who have changed wheels, have any of you run any other sets of factory wheels and been able to clear the brakes with no issues?
This post has a wheel option that works as well as tire info.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...-18-gxp-3.html

Quick Reply: Need some feedback on hptuners, and wheels and tires.