LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need a lil more input on e85

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a lil more input on e85

Still reading about and trying to learn all I can about the stuff b4 I dive into it. Ive read that e85 doesnt like cold weather im in texas coldest it gets here is mayne in 30s so it doesnt snow and hardly even see ice formation now doesnt that sound like a problem on e85? My biggest question/concern is how to jet the nitrous being that these nitrous kits are meant for gas was wondering if you have to go up in jet sizes, and lastly does e85 ever run out or is it seasonal just read some article guy said he had to switch fuels because e85 wasnt available for a few months. Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tim4daflow
Still reading about and trying to learn all I can about the stuff b4 I dive into it. Ive read that e85 doesnt like cold weather im in texas coldest it gets here is mayne in 30s so it doesnt snow and hardly even see ice formation now doesnt that sound like a problem on e85? My biggest question/concern is how to jet the nitrous being that these nitrous kits are meant for gas was wondering if you have to go up in jet sizes, and lastly does e85 ever run out or is it seasonal just read some article guy said he had to switch fuels because e85 wasnt available for a few months. Thanks in advance
I've never seen a area run out of e85 to date. As far as the nitrous just look up on the charts from the manufacturer for e85 related jet size.

Only thing that's a issue in the winter, and I mean down to the negatives is cold start, that can be handled by adding more cranking fuel in the colder areas of that table and will not affect anything else. Add a little more cranking spark and your good to go.

Only thing to watch out for sometimes there are seasonal switches of e85 to more like e70 for winter blends which will make your mixture richer by default. Car will still drive fine but just rich. I highly recommend a wideband if you haven't picked one up already especially with nitrous
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Ok I think im on board for the e85 swap now when I do the swap I know I have to damn near empty the 93 out the tank but will the car start at least to get it on a trailer to bring it to the tuner no I dont have a wideband ill pick one up and I dont remember a jetting chart for e85 in my kit but ill look again
Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 AM

Ok I think im on board for the e85 swap now when I do the swap I know I have to damn near empty the 93 out the tank but will the car start at least to get it on a trailer to bring it to the tuner no I dont have a wideband ill pick one up and I dont remember a jetting chart for e85 in my kit but ill look again
Run till it's on e even then the car will still have a bit 93 left run a quarter tank of e85 let it run for a while then full with e85. You getting dyno ed?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Yea thats the plan I talked with the company I was thinking about let tune my car "fastlane" in houston tx they are pretty solid on the tuning side I have several friends that have used them my buddy has a magnum srt8 who got tuned from another company he made more power with the other company but his car runs better with the tune fastlane did the guy says he wouldnt recommended going to e85 because I wont really see too much of a gain! I guess because of the power levels of these cars he was saying I might see 5 or so hp gain
Old 08-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Yea thats the plan I talked with the company I was thinking about let tune my car "fastlane" in houston tx they are pretty solid on the tuning side I have several friends that have used them my buddy has a magnum srt8 who got tuned from another company he made more power with the other company but his car runs better with the tune fastlane did the guy says he wouldnt recommended going to e85 because I wont really see too much of a gain! I guess because of the power levels of these cars he was saying I might see 5 or so hp gain
On a car with more compression and a cam it'll help out a ton, the power increase might be small but the resistance to knocking is really where its at. Especially with nitrous
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
On a car with more compression and a cam it'll help out a ton, the power increase might be small but the resistance to knocking is really where its at. Especially with nitrous
Yea and he also said they could install some sensor that I could run pretty much any gas and it would change the tune accordingly
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM

Yea it's a flex fuel retro fit very nice aid to have.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I think imma just swap over completely so u tune can be set good it just test the e85 every now and then

Quick Reply: Need a lil more input on e85