LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Hids, bad ballast or retarded install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hids, bad ballast or retarded install?

So topic says it all, I've had my hids for quite awhile and since then I've kinda swapped bulbs, ballast being the same. Went through another car battery..etc..anyway. I recently bought 12k and 30k hid bulbs, I know why so blue and purple ehh? Well ! When I bought the 12k, they were blue, but not so much as blue as the 8k I had that I was replacing with, I thought they would be dark blue!

So I bought the 30k, because from the buyers comments, this color was more darkblue with a touch of purple in it, but not stupid pink /purple, so I decided to go with this for my lows. But the issue now is that when they fire up, they all fade white, the purple stays on for like 30 seconds and then fades white, then even the old 8k and 12k I had fades as well, I'm assuming it's the ballast but I'm not sure

So I ordered a new dual harness with two relays for more power, still faded. I'm not sure wth is going on. The bulbs are kensun and the ballast are 35w ddms. I did contact them but I haven't heard anything yet, wondering if anyone would know anything or provide me some type of answers. Sorry for the long post, I tried to split it .
I can post vids or pics if anyone needs me to
Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Comments and bulb colors are all subjective. Color also varies on bulb quality and what type of housing they go in. From projectors to reflector type housings and depth of of the focal point of the bulb in relation to the mounting point.

In my opinion I prefer 5k of good old crystal cLear white as it has way more light out put. Which is why you'd want hid bulbs anyway. If you want the super blue you can always stick with what u have or tint your headlights. But that would be your perogative.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Comments and bulb colors are all subjective. Color also varies on bulb quality and what type of housing they go in. From projectors to reflector type housings and depth of of the focal point of the bulb in relation to the mounting point.

In my opinion I prefer 5k of good old crystal cLear white as it has way more light out put. Which is why you'd want hid bulbs anyway. If you want the super blue you can always stick with what u have or tint your headlights. But that would be your perogative.
The colors come on when I turn the lights on but they fade after 30 secs and I'm not sure why. They are hooked up right. And the ones I had were really bright and even now I can see but it's odd why they won't stay the color I ordered.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All hid bulbs will do that once they warm up. Kind of like street lights can be a deep purple blue when the turn on but then turn bright white
Old 10-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Why do these still maintain color though o_o
http://youtu.be/-Cpc2GDRX4Q

I have the same color and after 30 secs they turn pure white

Quick Reply: Hids, bad ballast or retarded install?