LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Coolant Fillter/Radiator Cap. SICK OF IT AND THE PLASTIC!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coolant Fillter/Radiator Cap. SICK OF IT AND THE PLASTIC!

So, has anyone else had to replace there coolant cap every ******* time they take it off ?

I've replaced mine 3 times now because it disintegrate. The Cap part separates from the internal pressure pieces. The plastic welds itself to the metal inside bore and by gods grace if you can pull it out in one piece without it flaking into a dandruff galore.

Pictures soon
Old 11-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is still orginal when i did my coolant flush I made it a point to wire brush the crud out of the threads so the crap/sludge doesn't mend itself to the plastic.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Mine is still orginal when i did my coolant flush I made it a point to wire brush the crud out of the threads so the crap/sludge doesn't mend itself to the plastic.
I did the same thing, but this 2nd one was an AutoZone one.I got a oem one this time, going to clean it up, again. The last oem one I had did the same thing tho
Old 11-04-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never had an issue with the rad cap lol thats interesting, i wanna see these pictures of whats happening
Old 11-04-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to wire brush mine as well when I flushed the anti freeze. Looked like **** too.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading this, I think I'll have the dealer flush it so they can replace it if they rip it and I'll play victim lol
Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
Reading this, I think I'll have the dealer flush it so they can replace it if they rip it and I'll play victim lol

When I was in prison,I had my wife flush it.and they said they replaced the coolant cap, now I know why
Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
When I was in prison,I had my wife flush it.and they said they replaced the coolant cap, now I know why
Now..your gonna elaborate on this now that you said it right? lol
Old 11-04-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
Now..your gonna elaborate on this now that you said it right? lol
Read my past threads, from like, 2005 or 6 lol
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Koren
Not nec. If they truly break it, they will cover it. If it was failing or had a problem, they will call and tell you it needs to be replaced. It's a gamble that may work in your favor, but don't bank on it. Plus, depending on their cost to flush it, it's prob much cheaper to do it yourself including the cost of a new cap.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... as you can see from the pics a fair amount of the stupid plastic cap is fused to the inlet... I've already scraped out part of it but now the rest is flush with the opening and I'm guessing that it will be impossible to stop some of the crap from falling inside when I use knives, pliers, screw drivers what have you to try and get it out as before I stuck in a shop towel and used a flat head to scrap with my shop vac to hit it ever few seconds...

any tips from here on the further removal? I swear I might just buy a new pump to not even p%$$ around with it.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I flushed my system mine looked crusty but wasn't sticking to the bottom. If this is the third or 4th time this happened, something is going on. What are you using for coolant and how hot is it getting ? I just wire brushed mine, and added some Vasaline to the threads. I added Redline Water Wetter also. If you are flushing the system, try something like this maybe to clean up that surface area.

Edit, I just realized this wasn't the original poster, carry on.

Last edited by rottonj; 08-21-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Launching!

So I'm guessing then if in the process of trying to get the fused plastic cap out something falls in.. . I will HAVE TO flush correct?

Hoping to do it without flushing...

What if I heat up the plastic with a hand torch? Maybe that would soften it enough making it less brittle and subject to flaking off?

By the way in case its not clear... the one close up pic...yes that center part is ENTIRELY FUSED CAP BROKEN OFF goes down the hold about an inch... if afraid of THAT dropping in while trying to remove it. My question wasn't how to clean it aka wire brush... cleaning is easy.... im extracting a bullet through surgery...

heat torch then is the best idea yes?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Yea getting it hot would probably help and use a little WD or whatever lube.
I would use my tubing expander if it would fit something like that to grip it cause it looks like screwdrivers will be a pain too
Old 09-04-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

hey rotton been a while glad to see i still know someone here, my first instinct is have you had a block test done?, second is a question are you just draining and filling or is an actual coolant flush machine being utilized.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

also vaseline is a poor choice in lubricant petroleum based lubricants are not suitable for many gaskets and o rings, it will soften and ultimately destroy those gaskets, its like using tire softener at the drag strip, works for one run, then expedited destruction

hope that helps

Quick Reply: Coolant Fillter/Radiator Cap. SICK OF IT AND THE PLASTIC!