LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

steering issue

Old 12-24-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering issue

every now and then i hear some clanking around when i turn the wheels. i can feel it in the wheel as well. also notice it knocked my alignment off.
i checked it out and couldnt find anything loose or something with slop in it.
do the steering rack go back in these things?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the sway bar end links have not been replaced I would look into those , they make noise when worn and are tough to tell they are worn. Mevotech are just as beefy as the Moog for about 15 bucks or less on Amazon but Moog has a better warranty. Spawne32 just posted about the rack, that doesn't look fun at all for replacement. If it knocked your alignment off, I would look into the tie rods both inner and outer(inners look fun also). good luck, post back your findings
Old 12-24-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
every now and then i hear some clanking around when i turn the wheels. i can feel it in the wheel as well. also notice it knocked my alignment off.
i checked it out and couldnt find anything loose or something with slop in it.
do the steering rack go back in these things?

I really don't see any of those items throwing your alighment off unless seriously damaged. Unless you put your car on a hunter machine and you have a before and after read out, then you really don't know its effecting your alighement.

2nd, the noise you are hearing could be anything, if the clanking frequency changes with the speed of the vehicle, then its like the axle or wheel in some form. If the clanking only occurs during a certain position that you pass when turning the wheel, then its just something with a bushing that is likely starting to move and pops againts metal. So if it only happens during a certain position during when turning the wheel then that could be Tie rod inner or outer, it could be the control arms, pretty much anything with rubber bushing of some type.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

dont forget that the intermediate shafts clank when turning also, this is pretty common
Old 12-25-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by impala06ss
dont forget that the intermediate shafts clank when turning also, this is pretty common
Yea thats a big one. I pulled my intermediate steering shaft boot off and loaded it full of molly grease. No noise in awhile
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
If the sway bar end links have not been replaced I would look into those , they make noise when worn and are tough to tell they are worn. Mevotech are just as beefy as the Moog for about 15 bucks or less on Amazon but Moog has a better warranty. Spawne32 just posted about the rack, that doesn't look fun at all for replacement. If it knocked your alignment off, I would look into the tie rods both inner and outer(inners look fun also). good luck, post back your findings
took it in to get the alignment and new tires put on and they did mention the end links.
are there any upgraded ones or just go for the mevotech like your talking about.

also my alignement was jacked up. not sure what caused it to be way out, nothing was loose. is that just something with these cars? i dont think i've had one wear normally yet, and i've had the car for 8+ years now. 3rd or 4th set of tires.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Moog are probably better but more money, while you are in the you should put some poly swaybar bushings in as well. This is what I used, it was 15 bucks a month ago.

Amazon.com: Mevotech MS50801 Sway Bar Link Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Mevotech MS50801 Sway Bar Link Kit: Automotive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering issue