TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spawne can answer that, I'm not sure.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
Spawne can answer that, I'm not sure.
I'm gonna call and ask or maybe stop by later today and see if that's the case, I would then need to have my tune adjusted...sheesh...I could see how that would affect gas though, esp on a tuned car, but wouldn't that also hinder a stock cars mpg too? I would think they would do stock axle settings.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not a setting, I am referring to different ratio sprockets installed when/if the chain was replaced. Tuning is a separate issue , not done by your transmission mechanic.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Different ratio sprockets would throw the tune so out of wack i dont even think it would drive without setting trans ratio codes. The drop in mpg could easily be from the larger converter considering its 35 pounds of centrifugal weight added.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spawne32
Different ratio sprockets would throw the tune so out of wack i dont even think it would drive without setting trans ratio codes. The drop in mpg could easily be from the larger converter considering its 35 pounds of centrifugal weight added.
So it couldn't be the tune per-say? Considering it probably wouldn't drive eh? I agree with the added weight but dropping it from let's say 17-18 avg to about 12-13? I called my tuner and says he'll have to possibly charge me 50 bucks for taking time out of other cars to adjust, which I understand but don't really have it, seeing as im probably gonna have to put on new motor mounts. Luckily they are cheap on rock auto but I know they'll break in another year or so, gonna have to invest in the ones the guy made here, just don't have the funds or job now lol...sad.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, but if they couldn't tell the difference in convertor size then he should not bring it back there. I don't think it was the wrong convertor installed, just maybe faulty ones. Just a guess. Lots of thing affect gas mileage, that's a big drop. I would look into a sensor unplugged maybe also, but that should throw a code as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
So it couldn't be the tune per-say? Considering it probably wouldn't drive eh? I agree with the added weight but dropping it from let's say 17-18 avg to about 12-13? I called my tuner and says he'll have to possibly charge me 50 bucks for taking time out of other cars to adjust, which I understand but don't really have it, seeing as im probably gonna have to put on new motor mounts. Luckily they are cheap on rock auto but I know they'll break in another year or so, gonna have to invest in the ones the guy made here, just don't have the funds or job now lol...sad.
Take a guess what I average for mpg? lol Built trans, 3.29 gears, same converter as yours probably.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have a cam and gears, both directly affect gas mileage. Yours should be much less than stock, plus you probably have the right foot mod as well

My guess is 12 mpg
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
You have a cam and gears, both directly affect gas mileage. Yours should be much less than stock, plus you probably have the right foot mod as well

My guess is 12 mpg
Getting rid of the 3rd gear lockup actually bumped me up to 13mpg, i have a feeling ill jump to 14-15mpg once i get the intake swap done, the throttle wont need to open as much to achieve idle and low rpm.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Hmm how do I test the torque convo lock up to see if it's locking up instead of just staying open? I read you could cruise at about 65 then lightly press on the brake and watch the rpms drop like I'm going to a lower gear. I'm supposed to visit my tuner tomarrow to check it but I really don't wanna spend 50 bucks for the testing and seeing if he has to write anything different lol...
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

after you shift into 4th youll see a sudden drop in rpm by about 2-300rpm, if you have HPtuners i could just tell you what to write vs you having to go to a tuner
Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly switching ratios from stock to 3.29 made a negligible difference to my MPGs. And your speedo would be way off and such if that were the case. Are you calculating out your MPG or basing it off of what the DIC is telling you?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Launching!

after you shift into 4th youll see a sudden drop in rpm by about 2-300rpm, if you have HPtuners i could just tell you what to write vs you having to go to a tuner
I wish I had hptuners only my tuner has that sadly, I took videos of a drive since it's better shown rather than said, I'm sure you could grasp anything I'm missing, one video is from a roll to 60 the other is a highway drive, I went to a secluded area for these where few cars where out

https://youtu.be/n-lWSaGMeik

https://youtu.be/TywucVlvnIw

I put on YouTube so anyone can chime in.

Edit; I also called the shop they stated that nothing in the tranny should have affected mpg, the guy was like change your fuel filter I'm like uhh I believe these are not serviceable? Meaning I have to take it to gm, or so I've read on the Monte Carlo forums. He also said he changed the intake gasket which I also believe I did about a year or so ago, the car does kind of sound like a bit of air is being sucked it but I didn't see a vacuum leak or anything indicating it was one when I visited my tuner last.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I can tell from the videos, converter lockup sounds lke its working fine. Fuel filter isnt serviceable on these cars because there is none. If he did intake gaskets incorrectly and you did have a vac leak, that could easily be a source of a problem.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Launching!

As far as I can tell from the videos, converter lockup sounds lke its working fine. Fuel filter isnt serviceable on these cars because there is none. If he did intake gaskets incorrectly and you did have a vac leak, that could easily be a source of a problem.
Yeah but rebuilding the tranny wouldn't have anything to do with intake gaskets right? He said he did that on a Impala. Odd

Maybe I should do a smoke test
Old 04-14-2016, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tuner would see that in log file i would assume-ut its not that hard if u feel iffy about it just get a six pack and a friend and have at it,label connectors if so inclined but most of them will only fit the correct component,take some pics of before and go for it
Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superglide9375
the tuner would see that in log file i would assume-ut its not that hard if u feel iffy about it just get a six pack and a friend and have at it,label connectors if so inclined but most of them will only fit the correct component,take some pics of before and go for it
Yeah last time I took it to him he didn't, also checked to see if brakes were dragging and nope...if I do a smoke test w a cigar where's the easiest place to blow in?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
Yeah last time I took it to him he didn't, also checked to see if brakes were dragging and nope...if I do a smoke test w a cigar where's the easiest place to blow in?
lol easiest way to check for vac leaks is to get a can of brake clean and spray around all the sealing areas with the engine running. If it sucks the brake clean in you will notice the car will stutter.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 AM
Launching!

lol easiest way to check for vac leaks is to get a can of brake clean and spray around all the sealing areas with the engine running. If it sucks the brake clean in you will notice the car will stutter.
Whew I saw Eric the car guy vid on that lol fire extinguisher isn't around. Gotta be something I'm missing here unless aamaco built me a mini racing tranny, which I'll never go back there again -_-~
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a FYI there is a fuel filter, internal in the module assembly. Non serviceable.

From the sounds of your issue you need to have your tuner let us know what your fuel trims are coming out too. Also oem o2 sensor?

Quick Reply: Decrease in mpg?