LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Smoke behind alt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke behind alt?

So I've had this smell for awhile like something is burning and even during the winter days I can see smoke sometimes, it seems to sit for about 20-30 mins and only sometimes if I don't drive the car every day. At first I thought it was my alt, but I think it's the rear manifold, I don't wanna say it's could be my plugs cause I've had my plugs in longer than the smell I believe.

However my question is that if I'm going to change the rear manifold gasket, would it also be a good time to clean the plugs and boots? I've only had them on for about..30k miles? Oem ac Delco replacements both plugs and wires.

And also is it good time to change my intake gasket as well? I haven't don't that I've only changed the front manifold gasket due to oil leak.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you referring to rear exhaust manifold? Sounds more like a leaking valve cover?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
Are you referring to rear exhaust manifold? Sounds more like a leaking valve cover?
Yeah sorry the valve cover. I changed the front but not the back so I suspect the smoke may be oil burning off, it is quite filthy back there.

Quick Reply: Smoke behind alt?