LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhaust Cutout switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Cutout switch

Do any of the electrical gurus here know of a better type of switch available for the interior to control the cutout... the standard variable switch I have now is not very user friendly from the standpoint that I have to quickly tap the switch if I want, say.... 25% open.... and even then it's not 25 maybe its 18 or 30 or 25 on the tenth try no way to really control it from run to run...

is there not a better switch to use? Remember how dimmer switches revolutionized home interior lighting?

Ideally for my preference, I'd prefer a switch that easily and quickly allows me 6 predefined positions say... 10%, 15%, 20%, 40%, 60%, and 100% open....

any idea what I would need to accomplish this?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is, a dimmer switch is a pulse width modulation, that does work on eletrical motors, but only when running continuously. The same concept does not work on cutouts, for your idea to work, there would need to be a sensor circuit that knew what position it was at, and was programed to stop once it reached its destination. Your best bet is to practice holding it open and coutn the seconds etc, for instance, I know if i count to 5 1,thousands, it opens fully, 2, 1thousands and its half.

But why would you want it opened anything other then full ?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm sounds complex and I don't have the know how to be the first to invent anything...

100% open is way way too loud for driving around towns and cities I'd easily get a noise violation. Opening it at various less amounts provides the car different tones depending on mood or where you are driving, as well it of course marginally increases power of full closed... flooring my car with full open exhaust is not as easy as it sounds and really not recommended...

doesn't everyone open up cutouts by various amounts or am I the only one?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have one, but the placement of yours could be causing some tone issues. The installation looks great, just have not seen one there before and that leaves me to wonder why. Post another pic of yours, maybe someone who has one might be able to offer some incite.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
hmmm sounds complex and I don't have the know how to be the first to invent anything...

100% open is way way too loud for driving around towns and cities I'd easily get a noise violation. Opening it at various less amounts provides the car different tones depending on mood or where you are driving, as well it of course marginally increases power of full closed... flooring my car with full open exhaust is not as easy as it sounds and really not recommended...

doesn't everyone open up cutouts by various amounts or am I the only one?
I've been running around with full open exhaust for almost 10 years now, I've never had any issues. Just dont go romping it around the cops, lol. I used to be worried about it when i first got it, it faded away....
Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I've been running around with full open exhaust for almost 10 years now, I've never had any issues. Just dont go romping it around the cops, lol. I used to be worried about it when i first got it, it faded away....
Haha, same. Mine is right behind the cat, pointing out right under my seat.

And as you know the way the cutout works, at least mine, is that it opens or closes with power. So with that idea you would need a very complex system that knew where it was, in regards to open or close and at what position, and knew exactly how long to apply voltage to turn to the desired position. I wouldn't want to hook that up.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cutout switch