LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Upper torque strut mount - dogbone

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper torque strut mount - dogbone

Ok... I see tons of helpful stuff on this forum even for a dummy like me. So when my upper torque strut mount failed I figured it seemed like doable repair. I got everything removed with my 15mm and so on. Nice and easy. Rubber fitting in the bracket had to be grinded out some due to some welding of the runner and metal over my 102k on my GXP and the Florida heat.
My issue came when it was time to re-insert the new one into the mount sitting on the radiator. That rubber fitting would NOT go in. Thus... like any stubborn GXP owner I chose to drive to the dealer for help... maybe just getting the thing in. I figured I was just missing something besides hair on my head or money in my wallet. So... my friendly General dealer told me there is a special tool (no not me - I am not that special) to squeeze and compress the rubber and fit it it which they do not have (not kidding here). They did not have that but of course were willing to sell me the bracket with the rubber installed for about 90 bucks (the rubber part was only 8). So... at the mercy of the general and their wonderful planning I bought it feeling dumb as hell.
My question here is how have so many installed Poly mounts or rubber and it seemed like they muscled them in with lube and what not. I am 6'5" 235 and healthy. I could not even with help. What gives here? Am i just too dumb to work on my car or did I miss the boat? Please be kind all?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a pic. Sounds like you have a one piece poly mount, a real bitch to install as you saw getting the old one out. Most come in 2 half's and slide right in. Nothing is easy on these cars, heave that get the right one and save some skin and frustration for the next project

Edit: Before ditching the poly one maybe try cutting it in half with a hacksaw or sawzall. Remove the metal spacer for sure first. Return the rubber one to the dealer. And once installed expect some vibration!

Last edited by rottonj; 07-12-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Teching In

I attached 2 pics... one of the part I was trying to install in the housing and the second the part I had to buy to get everything sorted out. I was just replacing stock for stock because of budget issues. Really wanted the poly mount from Intense but after all I spent... maybe I should have gone that route? Had I... would I still have experienced issues fitting the new part in the housing?
Attached Thumbnails Upper torque strut mount - dogbone-post-one.jpg   Upper torque strut mount - dogbone-post-two.jpg  

Last edited by transverselife; 07-12-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think so, I wouldn't deal with it. That whole piece with the rubber bushing is about 12 bucks on Rock Auto. Pick your battles with these cars.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=428&jsn=428
Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Damn... my *** gets sorer and sorer from the General (and his overcharging for parts). His endowment is quite large. Sigh... love my GXP (enough to have owned 3 of them including this one) so I guess I will file this in my hemorrhoid file and be glad I am good for another 50k or so.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

3 GXP's, your a glutton for punishment. The General should always be last case scenario, right before your ready to light the match. Worst price gouging ever.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have to stay away from frustration and desperation. Thanks for the info and making me feel somewhat smarter (I think)...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Rotton... I followed the link for the rock auto part... How would a dummy like me KNOW there is a bushing in that metal bracket? I would have assumed not there. Never using RA's website I am a little confused and want to look there next time?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No Problem.Good luck with the GXP.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transverselife
Rotton... I followed the link for the rock auto part... How would a dummy like me KNOW there is a bushing in that metal bracket? I would have assumed not there. Never using RA's website I am a little confused and want to look there next time?
Take that part number and throw it on Amazon, then read the reviews. Rock Auto is awesome, but not perfect.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lube it up beat it in with a hammer done. Make sure orientation is proper
Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Lube it up beat it in with a hammer done. Make sure orientation is proper
Or flip it if you are looking for a improvement. do a search on the subject if your not sure, someone did a write up I think.

Thats not for you parkave, I think you know that lol
Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's my mistake I thought he was referring to installing a poly mount. Which I would highly recommend. If your not going to then autozone or amazon has them cheap need not apply at gm dealership

Quick Reply: Upper torque strut mount - dogbone