LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What is the transmission line fitting kit part number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the transmission line fitting kit part number?

Installing a cooler as a in-line (possibly standalone) on a 2008 GXP, using this Hayden cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3BBKS...I2QMJ7XPN8RM6D

I need the fitting that sits in the radiator side for the transmission lines, because I do not want to cut the line.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for (assuming I need 2 of them), but I believe this is the wrong size:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automo...9Q34GV5CDNFB0X
Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where do you live
Old 08-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Where do you live
I was hoping you would chime in.

Arkansas (hot & humid), which is why I think I should set it up as a standalone. Any recommendations? You posted a link in the search once on ebay, but the link was dead.

It looks like you posted this one last year - will this work for standalone? Where is best to mount it? I'm assuming no fitment issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0OYI9O...I1BYSVL7T11OTU

Last edited by 5.0stang; 08-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are running stand alone you need zero fittings, use a small pic to undo the lines from the radiator and the rubber lines from the new cooler will push/slide right over those hard lines.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rottonj
If you are running stand alone you need zero fittings, use a small pic to undo the lines from the radiator and the rubber lines from the new cooler will push/slide right over those hard lines.
Good point - I guess I was going to install the fittings and cap them,since I was bypassing them. I probably need to buy extra hose, but not sure. If I keep the trans cooler on the driver side, maybe I won't need too.

If I use the one that 91parkave suggests, where is a good long-term place to mount it? Could I do it by just removing the driver side headlight?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

He would be better to suggest, I have the one you first linked to. Here is my install thread, and I did not go stand alone as I am in cold weather area.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...r-install.html
Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go standalone and remove the factory lines at the transmission. Use 2x-6AN male Male fittings and 2x -6an pushloc fittings run your 3/8ths lines to the cooler you linked in the second post. Use only fuel injection clamps and and use preferably universal power steering rubber hose available at autozone etc a little more expensive than standard line but has a 450psi and up rating and 10x more durable than regular hose.

For the install the best way is it to remove the bumper. (Not hard to do by yourself at all). I've had mine offbeat least 15times messing with stuff. Or you can remove lower splash shield and go that route.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go standalone and remove the factory lines at the transmission. Use 2x-6AN male Male fittings and 2x -6an pushloc fittings run your 3/8ths lines to the cooler you linked in the second post. Use only fuel injection clamps and and use preferably universal power steering rubber hose available at autozone etc a little more expensive than standard line but has a 450psi and up rating and 10x more durable than regular hose.

For the install the best way is it to remove the bumper. (Not hard to do by yourself at all). I've had mine offbeat least 15times messing with stuff. Or you can remove lower splash shield and go that route.
That lower splash shield does not come out without removing the bumper first as there are 2 buried mounting tabs, on this I am 100 percent sure. Either go thru the grills and the fog light grill as I did or remove the bumper, and as Parkave said it is not hard to remove. Removing and replacing the lines is just extra work in my opinion, only if they were leaking would I do that.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Do you have a link where I can get the stainless lines and fittings?

Is this a quality hose? It says it is for transmission coolers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3VSQNN2N4TASN
Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That hose is what I used, doubt that is what he is referring to.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rottonj
That hose is what I used, doubt that is what he is referring to.
Perhaps he is thinking of this and buy two of them (2 feet each).

https://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-7122...+3%2F8%22+hose
Old 08-30-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know, his lines are braided I believe. These are the buried tabs for the lower valance that only come off with the bumper removed.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my rock guard off probably 20 times and never once had to remove the front bumper to take it off.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what to say, yours didn't have the pins installed then . The middle pin you can yank on straight down and it will unhook, the two side pins no possible way unless it is damaged. Here is another pic I took when I replaced mine. Push pin goes right thru the hole, and its buried by the bumper.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better pic of the hole push pin goes thru. This was from the one replaced
Old 08-30-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive gotten my lower one out without issues, but i did destroy those clips, but i have new ones... i have nee clips for every clip on the car 😎

Long hose clamp pliers worked perfect
Old 08-30-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I don't know how you are all doing that, as I said that is buried by the bumper(it can not be seen). Are you prying the bumper away to snake up to get the clips?

Edit: Monte Carlo could be different as well

Last edited by rottonj; 08-30-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Launching!

I'm going to remove my bumper.

Just so I got it straight:

The top driver side line going into the radiator is the RETURN/COLD (to the transmission?) line and can be accessed from the top.
The bottom driver side line going in the radiator is the PUSH/HOT (from the transmission?) and can be accessed from the driver side fenderwell.

I will pull each line out, slide the new transmission cooler line (with fuel line clamps) onto those metal ends, and route to the new mounted cooler. How do I need to orient the "top" and "bottom" entry/exit points on the cooler.

I ordered this cooler:

I picked up 3 quarts of Dexron VI - will that be enough?

Last edited by 5.0stang; 08-30-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion it should not matter which line goes where, you are just creating a loop. For convenience I would do top to top and bottom to bottom. That cooler is longer , it really probably can only be mounted one way running along the bottom. There is a video of that or a similar cooler being installed(looks the same), just search for it.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Launching!

I installed the standalone transmission cooler yesterday. Removing the bumper is easy, but tedious. The trans cooler fits long ways across the condenser and it is a VERY tight fit between the radiator support and the condenser. It is sandwiched in between. Pulling the clip out of the lower radiator trans cooler line is tough, with very little room to maneuver. I also did not have to add any trans fluid.

I drove the car to the shop (to fix a fan issue), so I never got it on a long cruise but I noticed that the temperature climbed slowly, as expected. I will know more in a few days how it cools.

The cooler I got, came with everything I needed. I should never have bought the extra hose (Hayden 106), as I had plenty left over.

Quick Reply: What is the transmission line fitting kit part number?