LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Shift Kit & Trans Drain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit & Trans Drain Questions

It looks pretty straightforward to install.

Which ones are you all using for the 4T65-HD (2008 Pontiac GP GXP)?

A shift kit is mechanical and increasing shift firmness on a Diablo is via PCM, right? Do these play well with each other?

While I'm there, I'm going to change out the pan to have a drain plug. Will this pan work? The Amazon part checker says it will not fit the "HD" model.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-81...=DORMAN+265814

I'm going to use this is as the filter:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-TF304...XRZCN6E09ABD31

and reuse all gaskets.

When changing the transmission filter and draining it, how much fluid does one need typically?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why. Did you or are you ordering a TEP transmission?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rottonj
Why. Did you or are you ordering a TEP transmission?
Long story, but I will sum it up since you asked.
  1. Trans shifted hard in 1-2 Monday morning after sitting in stop and go traffic, so I parked it at work.
  2. Decided to give TEP a call the same day and was sold on it.
  3. Drove car since, the car runs great.

Thought process:

My 2nd fan does not come on (fixing that early next week), causing the car to run hot if I stop. This heat transferred into the transmission, causing the hard shift. I have read many examples on other forums where installing a standalone trans cooler + mild shift kit extinguished the problem if caught early enough.

I need a trans cooler anyways + trying a $50 shift kit is worth it.

If that does not work, I will call Dave.

Got any thoughts on my original post?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have done 4 Transgo kits in my GP's, they work ok but I would look into an Intense kit next time. I would also not buy a new pan, just a trans drain plug from Rockauto for 3 bucks and extra magnets are critical(search magnets). 7 qts fluid plus Lucas is close. What is your mileage?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Launching!

i have done 4 transgo kits in my gp's, they work ok but i would look into an intense kit next time. I would also not buy a new pan, just a trans drain plug from rockauto for 3 bucks and extra magnets are critical(search magnets). 7 qts fluid plus lucas is close. What is your mileage?

Why Intense kit over Transgo?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look at the Intense kit. And at 105k look for signs if that transmission has been replaced, most likely it may have been.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Take a look at the Intense kit. And at 105k look for signs if that transmission has been replaced, most likely it may have been.
Ok, it hasn't been replaced. All bolts look untouched/marked.

I may get the TEP after all.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hard shifts isn't cause for replacement, thats what shift kits are for. Be sure you need a TEP before you drop that cash, plenty of lower cost alternatives out there.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0stang
Long story, but I will sum it up since you asked.
  1. Trans shifted hard in 1-2 Monday morning after sitting in stop and go traffic, so I parked it at work.
  2. Decided to give TEP a call the same day and was sold on it.
  3. Drove car since, the car runs great.

Thought process:

My 2nd fan does not come on (fixing that early next week), causing the car to run hot if I stop. This heat transferred into the transmission, causing the hard shift. I have read many examples on other forums where installing a standalone trans cooler + mild shift kit extinguished the problem if caught early enough.

I need a trans cooler anyways + trying a $50 shift kit is worth it.

If that does not work, I will call Dave.

Got any thoughts on my original post?
The transmission does have a table for shift firmness based on heat, but I would not be worried about it. These transmissions normally operate at 220 easy despite what you might read. Id worry about your 2nd fan first before investing in a transmission, "if" the harsh shift is your only concern.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sint3k
The transmission does have a table for shift firmness based on heat, but I would not be worried about it. These transmissions normally operate at 220 easy despite what you might read. Id worry about your 2nd fan first before investing in a transmission, "if" the harsh shift is your only concern.
Will do - I'm getting the fan issue fixed next week (trusted friend/mechanic).

What does the Intense kit have that the Transgo doesn't for $42? Just some pads? I have never heard anything wrong with Transgo, relative to the millions of kits that are sold by them.

Is this the proper Transgo shift kit? It doesn't say for the HD version, but I'm assuming it will work based on the comments.

https://www.amazon.com/Transgo-T8416...nsgo+Shift+Kit

Random "newbie transmission" question coming. Are shift kits not harder on the transmission, thus doing the opposite of what I want?

I did notice a "delayed" shift yesterday when it was cold, from 1-2, but it was gone after 10 minutes (warmed up). The standalone cooler may make that worse. However, I read that the Transgo kit has a "fix" for that in the kit, but you have to dive deeper into the transmission. Does that ring a bell to anybody?

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you examined the contents of the Intense kit and compare it to the TransGo you really would not need to ask the difference. Yes that is the right TransGo, here it it 6 bucks cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Shif...dU45dR&vxp=mtr
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Launching!

If you examined the contents of the Intense kit and compare it to the TransGo you really would not need to ask the difference. Yes that is the right TransGo, here it it 6 bucks cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Shif...dU45dR&vxp=mtr
Basically the only differences are extra pads/gasket and a filter. Not seeing the added benefit it provides for +$50 for what I'm trying to do. That is just spending more $$, when I can get it cheaper.

Just like the last convo (remember the jack set?) - I'm trying to find the right part or part number. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy it there.

Back to my tech questions:

Random "newbie transmission" question coming. Are shift kits not harder on the transmission, thus doing the opposite of what I want?

I did notice a "delayed" shift yesterday when it was cold, from 1-2, but it was gone after 10 minutes (warmed up). The standalone cooler may make that worse. However, I read that the Transgo kit has a "fix" for that in the kit, but you have to dive deeper into the transmission. Does that ring a bell to anybody?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not the only difference,but I'm not going to list the differences.Best get the Transgo then .
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Launching!

That's not the only difference,but I'm not going to list the differences.Best get the Transgo then .
There are "custom options", but again, for what I'm trying to do, it is not worth it. That is a kit with more margin built into it.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do - I'm getting the fan issue fixed next week (trusted friend/mechanic).

What does the Intense kit have that the Transgo doesn't for $42? Just some pads? I have never heard anything wrong with Transgo, relative to the millions of kits that are sold by them.

Is this the proper Transgo shift kit? It doesn't say for the HD version, but I'm assuming it will work based on the comments.

https://www.amazon.com/Transgo-T8416...nsgo+Shift+Kit

Thanks everyone.
My car has the transgo kit, but mine was rebuilt by TEP. You cannot really judge any shifting while the car is cold. There are temp tables that allow for more slip when the transmission is cold. There is a forward seal that eventually leaks, but this will cause a, "Gear drop out while at idle and in gear", so you get a shift bang. Odd things will happen, I would not take it as a sign of anything unless it was duplicated daily etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sint3k
My car has the transgo kit, but mine was rebuilt by TEP. You cannot really judge any shifting while the car is cold. There are temp tables that allow for more slip when the transmission is cold. There is a forward seal that eventually leaks, but this will cause a, "Gear drop out while at idle and in gear", so you get a shift bang. Odd things will happen, I would not take it as a sign of anything unless it was duplicated daily etc.
True, I guess I am a little extra paranoid right now, ha.

Where is this forward seal? External or is it within the transmission?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, I guess I am a little extra paranoid right now, ha.

Where is this forward seal? External or is it within the transmission?
I guess you can consider it external, but the trans has to come out.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i got transgo and called tep and they told me which springs to put in as u get 2 sets-call and talk to them
Old 09-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Installed the shift kit this morning - feels good so far. It is a very easy install, just messy.

I'm 99% sure the transmission fluid has not been changed. The bolts looked untouched (105k) and it was dirty. It took just shy of 8 quarts to fill it back up.

My factory magnet (circle type on the 2008) had quite a bit of sediment on it, completely covering it.

The only regret I have is not buying a new clean Dorman pan with a drain plug.

I also wish I would have taken a picture before bolting everything back up. There was place in the transmission where you could see up into it. It looked like a "band" of some sort with a gap, but I was not sure if it was broken or not. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I know I did not explain that real well.

Here it is between the two hard lines:

http://s727.photobucket.com/user/1fa...ro032.jpg.html

Last edited by 5.0stang; 09-11-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift Kit & Trans Drain Questions