LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Help with Power Steering problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Power Steering problem!

I just recently changed my power steering pump with a AC Delco remanufactured pump and while I was at it I replaced the hard line portion of the return line with some earls stainless braided hose since the old one was getting pretty rusty.

The problem I have is as the car warms up to temp I have no power steering at a dead stop or if I am barely creeping along only, but the longer I drive it the worse the problem gets as I will start to lose power steering even when I am moving. If I let it sit over night and cool down, the power steering will work again right when I start it up even at a complete stop...until it warms up.

I have bled the PS system three times now. Front wheels off the ground, turning the wheels side to side. All I can think of is that section I replaced with stainless hose must be the problem. Maybe the hose is collapsing?

Its a hard line that leads to the reservoir and then goes just behind the alternator and then to a factory rubber hose that I replaced.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you upload a picture of your modifications to it? And it wouldn't collapse, if anything it would enlarge since that's the return line. It could be possible your new pump is junk as well.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I'll get a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

That makes me think the pump is garbage then since the line would more likely enlarge. I thought as the pump pulls fluid through, it might cause the hose to collapse...

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I haven't changed anything else aside from filling the system with Amsoil synthetic PS fluid with the new pump.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

are you sure the rack isn't bad. could have a bad spool valve

Last edited by Jayzvette; 09-27-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Teching In

I tried replacing the pump with a new Delco pump rather than the remanufactured one and the problem is now gone!

So if any of you ever need to replace your PS pump in the future, don't waste your time on the remanufactured Delco one. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Help with Power Steering problem!