LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need help with tire rubbing

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with tire rubbing

This is on a 2006 GXP. I was in a wreck back some time ago. Nothing big. I got hit right in front of the front tire on the drivers side. I was able to drive the car home although I could hear the tire rubbing when I turned to the left. I finally jacked it up and took both tires off and replaced the plastic fender liner in the fender well. I made a few adjustments to the backside of the fender well while I had the old liner off. I put it all back together and it still rubs. The tires are a little bigger than what the car calls for but it never rubbed before the wreck. I looked to see if the strut got knocked around or the control arm and everything looks good. The space between the rear of the passenger front tire and the fender liner is bigger than the driver side. I can't figure this one out. Something's not right. Is it possible to make an adjustment to push the strut assembly forward a little? I'm thinking it got knocked out of adjustment but you can't really tell just by looking at it. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With collision damage that may be unseen, it may be causing the overall front-end to be off as you describe. The entire subframe may be bent (but not necessarily broke), same with the control arms/tie rods/mounting brackets/etc.

It sounds like you're trying to make some fairly significant alignment changes for aesthetics/fit without really taking into account the overall repair needs that may still be lingering to make the car truly square (and possibly even safe) again. Hopefully, you're just dealing with cosmetic issues, but be mindful of the impact those adjustments to your front-end components has.

Stay safe & good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with tire rubbing