LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Test drove GXP, but not sure....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove GXP, but not sure....

Hi everyone,

I test drove the GXP yesterday and was very impressed with everything except the oscillating suspension. The car kept bouncing up and down, made myself and the family quite uncomfortable.

Has anyone experienced this? I love the car, but the suspension is way too tight and quite discouraging. My Trans-Am and friends' 2000, 2002 and 2003 corvettes drive much smoother.

I would love to pick this up, but am truly worried of the stiff suspension. I am going for another test drive in another dealership. Hopefully, another car, different roads, warmer temperatures and more mileage on the car could change things for me. I am trying to be optimistic.

Rani
Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

I'll be honest with you, I haven't ever experienced anything like that with my GXP. Something was off with the suspension, unless the roads were just terrible. My GXP actually rides smoother than my mom's 2004 GTP, according to the rest of my family. Good luck in the car hunt, and I hope the second GXP turns out better for you.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks LS4 GXP!

I don't know what the problem was. The suspension felt like a rock and made all of us kind of sick after the ride. The roads were okay but not great. The car only had 10 miles on it, so maybe it needed to be broken in? Also, the car has been sitting for a little while without being on the road.

I hope my ride this afternoon is much smoother, otherwise its an Envoy for me. Either way both vehicles are great, but there is something about the GXP.

Anyone else seen the same issue?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

It could have been a break-in issue, but I don't know. My car only had 4 mi on it when I picked it up. Could have been a combination of the newness, sitting, cold weather and roads, but it's hard to say. I hope your ride this afternoon goes better, you'll have a lot more fun with the GXP than with an Envoy
Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Look at the 06 Impala SS it has a very soft ride...
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I just picked mine up today. It had 19 miles when I picked up and put another 100+ on it today. I haven't experienced any of that.

Good luck.

Chip
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a feeling he may have too much air in the tires, When I picked mine up I drove 90+mi home and all highway miles, I felt the same way, not even test driving my car or any GXP, I thought, well my wife has the Envoy XUV, we'll travel in that..I got home, and the next morning I checked the air pressure, 40psi!!!, I run 30psi as the door sticker says and it runs great, comfortable yet firm but not the way it did with 40psi in there!! Hope that helps you, otherwise you maybe should look at a GT (S/charged, softer susp, 17" wheels), or as suggested B4, the Impala, the Imapala was just too plain for me, I really did and still do think the right color combo with some tint maybe and rims it can be just as attractive as the GXP, softer ride for sure..Did you ever consider the TB SS?? 400hp, supposedly just as fast (haven't seen them runnin yet)
Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Default 2nd test drive

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update everyone on the test drive.

I had my saleman warm up the car for me. He drove it for 10 minutes and had it sitting for me before I came to the dealership.

Results:
1) This time the car drove much better. It was smoother and had less of an oscillating suspension. I don't know what was wrong with the first car. The second car handled great, I just wish the driver could adjust the suspension from the interior.

2) The car is fast, had a chance to truly see the car's performance. The engine is smooth and the torque is always there.

I feel better having a chance to test drive the car a second time. This is truly a great car.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Glad to hear the second time went better. I've got 15k on my GXP already, and still love it just as much as the day I picked it up, maybe even more. It's a great car.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Default welllll

how bigs your wife ?? or how big are you?

Maybe its a weight problem! Weight offset!

I had to align a car with a big oldegal in the vehicle one time

everything was in the green and put her big rear in there and

BAM! I think everything went red!

how much do you think your whole family weighs in at as a whole?!?!

maybe try a different road/street !?!?! try your gf this time leave the wife

at home

Last edited by 98Ztwentyeight; 12-05-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

98Z,

The combined weight for two adults is 320lbs. I am 200lbs! I wouldn't call this the issue.

My second test drive was with the salesman, combined weight 400lbs.

Your questions can be interpreted as offensive. I am sure it was good natured, but try to refrain from asking questions regarding people's families. The board is about learning from each other in a positive matter.

Last edited by Wolverine-02; 12-06-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Teching In

I don't know if I would say his questions were offensive. Sure I can slightly see you point that some might see it that way, but reading it again, he was pretty civil.

In all honestly, people today are way too overwieght and it does make a difference. I fly on planes every week and just the other week a lady next to me commented on how she hates little 3 row planes. Well, she was well over 220lbs and plain fat so no wonder why she was uncomfortable and doesn't like those planes. She wouldn't like my GXP either.

Same with cars. Heck, most of the time when I go out to eat and see an overwieght couple together, with kids, they are all overwieght and that can easily add 500-550+lbs to the car vs say 350lbs. In situations like this, they know they are overwieght and in turn shouldn't be offended. It's likely by choice and will definitely affect how their car performs.

Originally Posted by Wolverine-02
98Z,

The combined weight for two adults is 320lbs. I am 200lbs! I wouldn't call this the issue.

My second test drive was with the salesman, combined weight 400lbs.

Your questions can be interpreted as offensive. I am sure it was good natured, but try to refrain from asking questions regarding people's families. The board is about learning from each other in a positive matter.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
Well, I have a feeling he may have too much air in the tires, When I picked mine up I drove 90+mi home and all highway miles, I felt the same way, not even test driving my car or any GXP, I thought, well my wife has the Envoy XUV, we'll travel in that..I got home, and the next morning I checked the air pressure, 40psi!!!, I run 30psi as the door sticker says and it runs great, comfortable yet firm but not the way it did with 40psi in there!! Hope that helps you, otherwise you maybe should look at a GT (S/charged, softer susp, 17" wheels), or as suggested B4, the Impala, the Imapala was just too plain for me, I really did and still do think the right color combo with some tint maybe and rims it can be just as attractive as the GXP, softer ride for sure..Did you ever consider the TB SS?? 400hp, supposedly just as fast (haven't seen them runnin yet)
My brother just bought a Trailblazer SS last night.

That thing is freakin sweet. We didn't floor it yet, but it definitely feels fast.

He's talked to someone online with an AWD one who's ran a 13.7 bone stock.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

I was gonna get the new Tahoe or Yukon, but now I'm gonna make the wife happier next year, she didn't want the mammoth sized SUV when my Envoy XUV goes back..TrailBlazer SS..here I come!! any idea where that was at, I can't even build them online yet?? can you post the link to the site where he was at?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
any idea where that was at, I can't even build them online yet?? can you post the link to the site where he was at?
You can build it at www.gmbuypower.com
You must select the LS 1SB style to see the SS option package. I thought it was available with LS or LT so I'm not sure why the package doesn't show with either of the LT styles.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Wow the Trailblazer thread don't get locked here.Tony i must say you're a power freak
Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

yeah, you can say that, you'd think having my work car over 120 (more often than I care to think about) would drain my need for it but......NOPE!! It dosen't!!

Quick Reply: Test drove GXP, but not sure....