LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How many quarts of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many quarts of oil?

Hey guys I have on 06 Impala SS and I was wondering if anybody knew how many quarts it took since it's not in the manual. And how often do u guys do ur oil change? The manual says wait untill the indicatot says to change it and that it doesnt have to be done every 3,000 mi. I dont know if I trust that so I need opinions. I guess it has an oil life monitor that detects when the oil is broken down and too thin? Thanx
Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Launching!

It calls for 6 quarts. Some guys are putting in 6.5 quarts... I use 6 and it stays in the operating range on the dipstick though.

I would just go by the oil life monitor. It judges by engine temp, rpms, miles, etc. Though with dino oil you may want to change sooner... with synthetic you could probably wait a little longer.

On your first oil change I would say go ahead and change it at 3000-4000 miles since it is the oil the engine broke in with.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

It IS in the manual, under "specs" or something like that. It says 6qts for the 5.3L.

When i last did my oil (first time by me, 2nd overall) i put in Mobil1 with a Mobil1 Filter (and the M1 oil cap, too ). It took 6qts just fine and didn't need anymore. I haven't noticed any difference in performance with the M1 as opposed to dino.

The oil life monitor calculates driving conditions and engine revolutions to determine "life expectancy" of the oil....i wonder how accurate it is?

Quick Reply: How many quarts of oil?