LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablosport Predators...time to update!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
PCinterface is used to install custom tunes to the Predator, or to pull a copy of your backup for safe keeping or modification.
Doesn't the DS_Downloader do that as well?? I see there's a button there to "Get Tune File from Predator"...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

How long do you think it takes for TCM support to be available? Within a year? or 6 months??
Old 11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Doesn't the DS_Downloader do that as well?? I see there's a button there to "Get Tune File from Predator"...
It does do that as well, just not on this (U7191) part number.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yuimyt
Mike,

How long do you think it takes for TCM support to be available? Within a year? or 6 months??
I am just guessing here, but I would say definitely within the next 6 months.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

aaah, ok... so for my model (U7191), I'll have to use the PCInterface to create a backup of my original/factory tune to my PC. And for updating the predator and loading tunes into my car, I just need to use the DS_Downloader... gotcha!

Thx!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Can the predator show KR?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Mike,

DiabloSport Trinity will be available in GXP too or is it too early to tell? Expected price range?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yuimyt
Can the predator show KR?
Yes....not sure about Trinity though....
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can anyone describe the surge issues mentioned with the LS4? After the latest updates came out I ordered, received, and updated my Predator with 8r04. I installed the Diablo tune for 93 octane with the DOD functionality in place. Under steady very light throttle, when the system changes from 4 to 8 cylinders, I feel a tiny little burst of acceleration (surge?) that reminds me of slipping a clutch then dumping it under light pedal.

I’ll be checking in with Diablo tomorrow, assuming work doesn’t get in the way.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This surgning, my car does this right after a re-flash with HP Tuner's too. Its fine after about the 2nd or 3rd time it goes into DOD mode, no more surging ever after that, of course untill i reflash it. It hunts around 3-4 times when it does surge, then settles down once speeds are up. Just the ECM settling in is all...
Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I'll let it be for awhile to see what happens.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
It would seem almost too obvious, thats why noone asked if you had the key on. The owners manual clearly states this, as well as the prompts on the Predator while you're installing the tune.
Rebooting a computer is too obvious as well...but a vital step in troubleshooting...don't play it down...I was being WALKED through the process step by step starting with the fuses (phone tech)....they missed a very important step in telling me to place the key in the ignition and turning it to on. In fact, he even had me DOUBLE CHECK that nothing was ON. The thing is, when I was reading the manual, I stopped reading after I couldn't locate the fuses that were specified in the and immediately called tech support(again manual isn't even updated with LS4 information...so I discounted the manual as uncredible and called support).

So, yes, I could have could have continued reading the awful manual some more....so I take partial blame. But the tech support was lacking and is also very much at fault. Did I mention that tech support specifically told me to make sure EVERYTHING was NOT ON in the car and to make sure NOT to remove the fuses? Very contradictory.....

And no, the tuner does not prompt to have the key in the ignition. I JUST went out to my car and it does not prompt to have the key in and in the ON position....you click performance tune...select the transmission type...and bam..error.

Either way, the tune is working thanks to your help. And my USB to serial cable is on the way so I can try out the updated tunes.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by live2ride
Can anyone describe the surge issues mentioned with the LS4? After the latest updates came out I ordered, received, and updated my Predator with 8r04. I installed the Diablo tune for 93 octane with the DOD functionality in place. Under steady very light throttle, when the system changes from 4 to 8 cylinders, I feel a tiny little burst of acceleration (surge?) that reminds me of slipping a clutch then dumping it under light pedal.

I’ll be checking in with Diablo tomorrow, assuming work doesn’t get in the way.
That sounds like the surging to me. The reason it's happening is because the predator is removing torque management at the ECM level where DOD torque management is also handled. They do this because they cannot communicate to the TCM to remove tranny torque management so they attack the problem by removing it universally from the ECM.

It's funny that the website states that the predator adjusts shift points/firmness but then leaves it out as a U7191 specific feature on the very same page...very misleading. It almost feels like we're actually beta testers for this thing...
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the surge is the lack of torque managment in the engine.
nothing more, nothing less.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only item changed from stock is the CAI box. I've only put about 100 miles since the tune and the surge issue going from 4 to 8 cyl has not gone away or even eased up. It's slightly more pronounced when cold and very annoying. I'll call Diablo if I can get some time during the day. I have the latest update installed. I'd like to be prepared with what ever they want, anyone know if they will want the stock tune or a real time data log while the issue is happening?

I recorded a log while driving around with a few WOT to about 70 MPH. until full but had errors while downloading to the Data Viewer. I was able to watch it, just not save it. I was surprised at the total timing advance went to 40 deg at one point and that's the only time I saw 1 deg of KR.

I remember the old days before all the computer control when simply power timing until knock then backing off 2 deg would get you a ton over stock. I wonder if modifying the factory tune with just advance would be any benefit?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by live2ride
I recorded a log while driving around with a few WOT to about 70 MPH. until full but had errors while downloading to the Data Viewer. I was able to watch it, just not save it. I was surprised at the total timing advance went to 40 deg at one point and that's the only time I saw 1 deg of KR.

Yeah, I'd be surprised too with 40 degrees under WOT, are you sure it was WOT? The most I've seen is 31 under ideal conditions before KR starts. I am wondering if the KR attack rate was adjusted also with these tunes. Do you hear any audible knocking? Unless the scanner is reading wrong?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Yeah, I'd be surprised too with 40 degrees under WOT, are you sure it was WOT? The most I've seen is 31 under ideal conditions before KR starts. I am wondering if the KR attack rate was adjusted also with these tunes. Do you hear any audible knocking? Unless the scanner is reading wrong?
I don't recall if the 40 was during a WOT run, but I think the RPM was around 4k on the way up. I recall most of the timing in the 30+ range under load. I run 93 oct all the time and have never heard any pings at all.

I started the log and continued with regular light driving and several rolling WOT runs from various speeds. I let the log fill up and reviewed later.

I really like the DOD feature. Most of my normal driving is under 50 on two lane country roads. This is also why the surge issue is so annoying to me. As soon as the grade changes and the engine starts to load up it switches to 8 cylinders with the surge. The switch from 8 to 4 is almost unnoticed.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That burst of accelleration when the DOD hits is how the system functions. Here is a good write up on it below, but it blips the throttle on engaugment to make the transistion not noticeable.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...ne_technology/

"In the LH6, the transition from eight-cylinder operation to four-cylinder operation is aided by electronic throttle control (ETC). At no time does the driver perceive a decrease in engine power when in V-4 mode because ETC applies a seamless increase in manifold pressure. (Translation: when the engine switches to four cylinders, your foot is still pressed the same amount on the gas pedal because the computer has opened the throttle more without you knowing it.) An increase in power demand is just as smooth; there is no dramatic surge in power during transition to V-8 operation beyond what is expected, that's because the ETC closes the throttle in conjunction with cylinder activation."
Old 11-16-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can hear it drop to 4 banger mode right before it kills the cylinders, sounds like you're stabbing the gas really quick {ie if you have an open element filter, like the k&n kit or something like this.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation.

I can’t really tell when it goes into 4 cylinder mode before or after the tune, except for the sound change.

Before the Diablo Tune, except for the slight sound change and slight RPM change, I could not feel the transition into 8 cylinder mode. After the tune, I definitely can tell by the seat of my pants when going 4 to 8. I’m hoping there is something that can be done to save the power tune with DoD enabled, but stop the felt surge.

Quick Reply: Diablosport Predators...time to update!