LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

i hate going from a dig

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i hate going from a dig

just an fyi. the mustang, nitto's gear, heads n cam.
tahoe, gears, built tranny, whipple on 11 psi, water injection blah blah
lt1 car, bolt ons, slicks and skinnies

the tbss in the vid is the one i walked hard from a 70 punch a while back

and lil ole me, getting raped from a dig
ghaaaaaaaaaa
anywho.

figured you might enjoy it.

http://media.putfile.com/1909racingcomplete

Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

That Tahoe flat *** moves!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL im sorry.. but you should not have gotten owned that bad by that tahoe lol

I mean my junk hangs at the rear bumper of modded EVO's with two step launchs while im spinning all the way through 40 mph from a dig....

What were you running the 2nd time that u couldnt pull on?

buy some tires and hp tuners already!! lol

Sweet vid though, the duramax and the tahoe were the coolest and seemed to be the fastest out of the odd ball vehicles.

OMFG!!! does that white f body have side pipes and cragars? BWAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 01-09-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
LOL im sorry.. but you should not have gotten owned that bad by that tahoe lol

I mean my junk hangs at the rear bumper of modded EVO's with two step launchs while im spinning all the way through 40 mph from a dig....

What were you running the 2nd time that u couldnt pull on?

buy some tires and hp tuners already!! lol

Sweet vid though, the duramax and the tahoe were the coolest and seemed to be the fastest out of the odd ball vehicles.

OMFG!!! does that white f body have side pipes and cragars? BWAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
that tahoe runs hard on the street. up top i run away from him. 450+ ft lbs, 4wd, hard to beat from a dig.
i was runnin a friend of mines lt1 from a 25 punch. god my car is quiet.

i don't need hp. i have a tuner for it
tires? **** yes i do yes that camaro had side pipes and mickey thompson street tires. not dr's the old school tires! and cragers!!!!!!!!
yea, im a fan of retro rods, but not te other way around.

im goingto tear into the intake manifold sunday and dosome playing around. im tired of being slow {if you call mid 13's slow for a daily driver}
or i may stick the bottle back on it and not tell anyone

in the video of me runnin the lt1, i was spinnin the tires form 25-45 mph. thats how much **** is on the streets here right now
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dang Area - that vid makes me want summer to get here NOW!!!

I'm agreeing with the 13's for a daily driver, more fun than what I'm having right now freezing my *** off - I love summer!!! We had a couple weeks of 50's, and last week there were a few F-bodys out of hibernation, but then they dropped their salt spray crap allotment for December out here after a dusting of snow. Now we need rain to wash it away.

You vid does illustrate just how bad *** a F-Body can really be though, especially with the sticks. There is a night and day difference between my 2 cars, but my MCSS would win an overall competition based on refinement.

I noticed the white Camaro also - I think he's even jacked up in the back

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 01-09-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Dang Area - that vid makes me want summer to get here NOW!!!

I'm agreeing with the 13's for a daily driver, more fun than what I'm having right now freezing my *** off - I love summer!!! We had a couple weeks of 50's, and last week there were a few F-bodys out of hibernation, but then they dropped their salt spray crap allotment for December out here after a dusting of snow. Now we need rain to wash it away.

You vid does illustrate just how bad *** a F-Body can really be though, especially with the sticks. There is a night and day difference between my 2 cars, but my MCSS would win an overall competition based on refinement.

I noticed the white Camaro also - I think he's even jacked up in the back

this crap happens every weekend here. i usually just hangout in the back and watch the mayhem taken over.

yes that camaro was "raked" so to speak. a retro rod gone in reverse, in a bad way. makes baby jesus cry
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Default thanks cool vids I enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by Area47
just an fyi. the mustang, nitto's gear, heads n cam.
tahoe, gears, built tranny, whipple on 11 psi, water injection blah blah
lt1 car, bolt ons, slicks and skinnies

the tbss in the vid is the one i walked hard from a 70 punch a while back

and lil ole me, getting raped from a dig
ghaaaaaaaaaa
anywho.

figured you might enjoy it.

http://media.putfile.com/1909racingcomplete

That was a cool vid. We gotta get the GXP's to move a little quicker.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeilesGXP
That was a cool vid. We gotta get the GXP's to move a little quicker.
buy me some mt dr's and it will!

aside from that, i know what i have to do. just have to get the motivation
Old 01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

let me know what you do. I am lookin for some more juice from this thing. what about doing some head work (port and polish)? I had a 79 TA with a small block 400 I did all kinds of work to it and hit a wall with more HP. I had the heads done and it made a huge difference.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeilesGXP
let me know what you do. I am lookin for some more juice from this thing. what about doing some head work (port and polish)? I had a 79 TA with a small block 400 I did all kinds of work to it and hit a wall with more HP. I had the heads done and it made a huge difference.
I doubt we would gain anything noticible with a port and polish. The car is not head limited. The LS6 heads (even with the so-so springs) will outflow the stock cam with ease.

Looking at the stock dyno graph (and no evidence to back it up on the LS4), just reminds me big-time of how my XJS curve looked, Jaguar used to flood the engine with fuel over 5200 or so and the torque curve fell off a cliff, they used it as a soft rev-limiter to protect the TH400 tranny.

Unless there is some sort of huge restriction that chokes off the LS4 right after torque peak, there is something going on with the PCM to keep (unless the brand new valve springs are that crummy and going into float) the peak power down. No way a roller cam torque peaks at 4400 and then drops that hard in such a short RPM range without being artificially restricted. I would expect it to pull to 6000 and make at least 290 lb*ft (331 horsepower) up there.

Anyone have a dyno run with A/F ratio's? I would be curious to see how rich it is programmed from the factory.

Again, no proof at all, just some supposition based on experience.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

From 5500rpm and up, in PE mode, the stock computer is demanding a 12.15AFR.

My car always has felt snappier with more fuel than stock though. I've actually increased my PE, so now its demanding 12.00AFR up top.

In hptuners I've been using the "delivered engine torque" PID as kind of a reference quide, and I've increased delievered torque quite a bit at WOT since stock(according to the scanner anyway).
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SDfbody
From 5500rpm and up, in PE mode, the stock computer is demanding a 12.15AFR.

That is not as bad as I would have thought. In theory, they are leaving some power up there, but not a tremendous amount. Perhaps there is some natural resonance in the intake system that chokes the engine or timing is being pulled. Just find it hard to believe it just falls off the cam that quick after peaking with the fairly wide LSA. Although the cam seems to support in excess of 300 lb*ft over a 3400 RPM range or so and that is not an unreasonable range for a cam. Maybe it just does suck that much.

With the high stall/low STR converter, having a usuable torque range that low seems awfully silly. I know the converter was chosen to mask the DoD switch-over, but picking a relatively short cam that wastes half its torque band below the stall speed makes me scratch my head in puzzlement.

Well, eventually, when the tranny fails out of warranty, I will look into building a proper transmission and bumping duration 10* or so and tightening LSA down to something in the 109-111 range and we will see what we see.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your having a AFR in the low 12's your leaving alot of power on the the table....

Log a WOT run and look at your o2 sensor Mv for the WOT portion and see what the #s are. Now the narrow bands are innaccurate but can get close for a rough idea.

In my camaro a 898-900 Mv is about 13.0AFR according to my PLX wideband and 910 is 12.8 afr. If you have in the 920-930;s your into the mid-low 11's and higher obviously worse off.

Its a proven fact that LSx's seem to like a 12.8-13.0 for max power.

I never play with the "commanded" afr because its so hard to get it right that way i found. i just go into PE vs RPM and smooth the injector pulsewidth times to be equal from 2000 to the end of the scale. Not that in the chart view it looks all jagged, it will go up and be a flat line accross, maybe a little spike about 4400 at peak torque would be the most id do.

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 01-12-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

If your having a AFR in the low 12's your leaving alot of power on the the table....

Log a WOT run and look at your o2 sensor Mv for the WOT portion and see what the #s are. Now the narrow bands are innaccurate but can get close for a rough idea.

In my camaro a 898-900 Mv is about 13.0AFR according to my PLX wideband and 910 is 12.8 afr. If you have in the 920-930;s your into the mid-low 11's and higher obviously worse off.

Its a proven fact that LSx's seem to like a 12.8-13.0 for max power.

I never play with the "commanded" afr because its so hard to get it right that way i found. i just go into PE vs RPM and smooth the injector pulsewidth times to be equal from 2000 to the end of the scale. Not that in the chart view it looks all jagged, it will go up and be a flat line accross, maybe a little spike about 4400 at peak torque would be the most id do.

I'll try lowering the PE table, but I'm usually getting about right at 895-905mv with the comanded AFR at 12. It seems if I go to like a 12.1 or 12.2 i get about 880-890mv and a little KR. I need to get a wideband.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDfbody
I'll try lowering the PE table, but I'm usually getting about right at 895-905mv with the comanded AFR at 12. It seems if I go to like a 12.1 or 12.2 i get about 880-890mv and a little KR. I need to get a wideband.
Your real close right now to 12.8 ish... id maybe leave it. How much timing you running at wot?

Ive got 30 degrees @ WOT accross the board from 2K to 8K @ .64g/cyl and below.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm running the stock timing right now, so at WOT 6K@.64g/cyl its around 30-31 degrees total.

Then, depending on if I'm in PE it adds 3.5 degrees at 4400 to 4800, 2 degrees and 5200, and 0.5 degree from 5600 up. Actually I looked at one of your bin files from a while back on hptuners forum. Called "mymonteTRANSFANS," so I see would you did with the timing.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

everybody complains their gxp/monte/impala isnt fast enough. if u all wanted real fast cars, shouldnt have started off with a W body.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing is ever fast enough to a real car guy... id hop up a scooter if i had one lol
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nah, I have no real complaints about the Impy. It is pretty close to ideal for me. Decent power and mileage, front wheel drive for the snow (work keeps me on construction sites in MI, WI, ND, SD, MN, etc in the Winter). It is a middle of the road, relatively cheap sedan (with attendant cheap insurance) that I can let get dinged up without cringing too much. What I do dislike is (my perception) that GM hobbled the little motor instead of building the tranny right and letting it run like it could. Not talking about insane 7200 RPM shifts, just the power band shifted up 500 RPM and not yanking the power so hard between shifts.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Nothing is ever fast enough to a real car guy... id hop up a scooter if i had one lol
X2

Everything I've ever I owned I tried to make faster, my snowmobile, RC car, other cars I've owned, etc. Nothings stock anymore, I guess I find it fun to make something faster. Plus I just want my car faster then the next guys Monte(theres a crap load of 06's and 07's in town now).

Last edited by SDfbody; 01-13-2007 at 11:33 AM.