LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

tire spin???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tire spin???

I didn't want to rob the m/c vs caddy thread, but I was wondering how you get the tires to spin on these cars (mc, imp, gxp). With my traction control off, if I spin too much "it" shuts it down, kinda like turning and acc too fast. And with the traction control on I can get some spin, but not much. Basically I could not do a burn out in my 06 Imp SS if i wanted to. Noticed it one night when I had mud on my tires and had to clean them off. How are these other cars frying the tires and why can't I???
Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

After the first “slam on the brakes” event when I hit it while coming out of a turn, I make sure my wheels are straight when nailing it. I don’t eat up tires on a regular basis, but never had the shutdown with TC off and going straight, just nice long double black marks. With TC on I get shorter burnout and it just doesn’t feel anywhere near as powerful.

I did this before and after the Diablo tune, but would credit the tune for the extra patches on the ground.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Silver, i get the same thing going straight w/TC off...you just gotta stay on it to keep them spinnin. The second you let off a little and it grabs, the differential score protection is gonna kick in and keep your shafts and diff intact.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can spin the tires enough to make two black lines, but in turn the car is moving forward. If I were to say put my foot on the brake rev to about 3 grand, let off the brake and mash the gas (with tc off) the tires will spin for half a second then bam shuts down, quite violently I might add. I don't normally do this of course but one night on a deserted road had my car parked off to the side and had a bunch of mud on the tires, wanted to clean them off but couldn't without driving a 1/4 mile or so. Since then I've tried it in an attempt to heat up the tire in a vein way to get traction, but always with the same result, with the wheel straight.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

My car was the same way before the diablo tune which adjusts the TM enough that it stays out of the way.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it looks like hpt or something is gonna have to be in the works.