LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Buffalo - how's the Poly motor mount??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Buffalo - how's the Poly motor mount??

So, how was the feel of the poly motor mount on your drives this past weekend?? Is it a keeper, or going back to the rubber mount??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

You really only notice it (negatively) when decelerating from 40/30mph down to a stop...but there is NO missing it when it does. On the upside, while cruising on the highways & backroads this weekend, it was great. There were so many sections of two-lane roads where i needed to pass someone (usually a semi or something, kicking up cinders at my hood/windshield (good'ole Pennsylvania snow removal system)) and i'd just press the pedal and GO! No lag at all...you WENT!

It's going to take some time getting used to the vibration at stops, mainly b/c that's all i drive in the city, so there's a LOT of stopping going on. I'd like to keep it...we'll see if the wife gets too annoyed with it. For something with minimal performance gain, i don't know that she'll (want to) put up with it much longer. She's already noticed it...just a matter of time LOL. If i do revert back to stock, i'll definitely spin the bushing again...that would be a nice compromise.

Also, i don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the poly mount from ZZP needs to be trimmed to fit properly in our mounts...and i didn't do that. I posted a pic somewhere (here it is again). The raised parts of the poly mount hits the triangular part of the mount itself and needs to be trimmed. It is possible that the bushing is not seated properly and causing excessive vibration. It's also possible that the vibrations is what it will be forever and the fact that it's "squeezed" in there makes no difference. I'll make it a point to trim the edges this week and see if that helps.

I'm assuming that the older 3800 mounts are squared off, without the triangular bracing. Also assuming it needed to be triangular to offer the support that the 5.3L needs. Regardless, b/c these were designed for the 3800s, fitment with all 5.3s might be an issue.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Just completed my motor mount flip. Definitely an easy mod (thanks to all those great pictures and write-ups from the various gurus around here).

Have not tested it yet.

I was working it, working it, working it "click"... WTF? That was it? Well, gosh. That was pretty darned easy.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What brand polys are you running? Of the three brands out there the Intense seem to be the best, with the least amount of vibration.

Last edited by BanditTA; 02-22-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

They're the ZZP blacks.

I paid more attention to the vibration this morning and yesterday evening and it's not at 30-40mph...it really kicks in at 23-24mph when slowing...while it downshifted into 2nd gear, i believe. It's very pronounced when in reverse, too, but for a short while. I back into my driveway every night and can feel it there.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

hey, where in buffalo are you? im from the southtowns, but theres alot of stuff that happens in the northtowns in the usmmer.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

I'm real close to City Hall...West Side....but the rest of my family, 'cept the parents, are in West Seneca, OP and Hamburg (or So.Carolina )

I'll definitely need to get to a few meets in the NorthTowns this summer. I can't wait to get to the track, though...haven't been yet, though. Do you drag? By your sig it looks like it. Where do you go? Lancaster is just an 1/8mi and i don't want to waste time there.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

So did trimming the mounts make a diffrence? or did you switch back to the stock mount?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know about the trimming, but he's getting rid of the poly. I know b/c he's sold it to me.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i sold it. Trimming didn't help any. However, it may have been the extreme cold causing the issues b/c yesterday, when it was 50* out, i didn't notice the vibration as much. Regardless...i don't want it in there...so it's going to corny, mount and all.

When i install the new OEM mount, i'm gonna spin it and live with that.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for letting me know.

Quick Reply: Buffalo - how's the Poly motor mount??