LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Bigger Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger Brakes

After taking it to the track i have began noticing how heavy my car feals when puting the brakes on at higher speeds. Has anyone done a brake upgrade yet?

I was thinking of this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Waste of money, and you would have to buy organic pads because semi metallics don't like drilled/slotted
Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be using those when I upgrade. I've heard good things about them. If you want some opinions from people who have actually used them, go to naioa daught com. They're a sponsor over there and quite a few members have used them.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Or you can be the test mule for the GXP brakes for us all...although that would probably be a bit expensive. B/c ours are already dual-piston calipers, the "F" body upgrade that 00-05 Imp owners do doesn't help us at all.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'm beginning to think more and more that an upgraded Rotor and upgraded Pad are the two things that will close most of the gap with the GXP. Yes, the GXP rotors are slightly larger than the SS, but by very little. If we had pad surface area measurements, we could judge better. Other than perhaps, slightly more resistant to fade and overheating due to the small differences in caliper design, I really don't think there would be a huge difference if we were to level the playing field in those two areas.

I've already got a kit ready to paint my calipers, and found these items as well to put on them too:
Impala Logo Stickers

Then all I need is to buy the slotted or Cross drilled (or both) rotors, and I figure it would be a closer match to the GXP. I may or may not upgrade the type of pad at first. Depends.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Waste of money, and you would have to buy organic pads because semi metallics don't like drilled/slotted
If they didnt work together why would they sell them together? I planned on going the ceramic route "i think thats what it was" so there is less brake dust anyway.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MagnaPilot
I've already got a kit ready to paint my calipers, and found these items as well to put on them too:
Impala Logo Stickers
I've ordered 2 sets from that guy (1 before painted calipers and 1 after). Really good product and he gives you extras. The first set, I had on for 5 months and on the day I took them off, they looked as good as the day I put them on.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Damn...i wish the OEM wheels showed enough of the caliper to make it worth painting...yours look real good. Don't know when i'll get around to taking the dive into new wheels (and tires...the OEM's are about done after a whopping 14,ooomi of hard City driving)...but i'll definitely be doing the calipers at that time.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was under the impression there wasn't a "gap" in the Imp / GXP braking distance. Seems to me it's cosmetic / race inspired / gimic more than anything. Maybe help with cooling, but these cars are slalom pigs.

But, since the W-body is known for warping rotors, then why not try a set after your factory rotors are shot?

I would suggest adding the braided reinforced lines from the frame to the caliper. This will keep the line from expanding under increased pressure. That will add pedal feel.

I saw some braided lines under the hood, wonder if they did it in the fender well?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice job on the calipers Doc ... with those rims I'd definitely figure out how to get the 14" rotors of the ZO6 on that beast:

Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
(and tires...the OEM's are about done after a whopping 14,ooomi of hard City driving)...but i'll definitely be doing the calipers at that time.
Ouch! Last time I checked, IIRC these tires are like $230 each.

Must cost a lot of money these days to keep the blimp up in the air.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Nice job on the calipers Doc ... with those rims I'd definitely figure out how to get the 14" rotors of the ZO6 on that beast:

Thanks Kaz, but for now my money will be spent making her accelerate more like a Vette, not stoping like one.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Ouch! Last time I checked, IIRC these tires are like $230 each.

Must cost a lot of money these days to keep the blimp up in the air.
I'm definitely not going back to GY. I plan to upgrade the wheels at somepoint (not UPsize though) but either way, if i need to get tires before hand, i may look at the Kuhmos at 1/2 the price. I'd love to grab a set of the BFG KDW's summer tires and keep the winter tires on the stock wheels.