LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

TPMS and key FOB range problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and key FOB range problems

Ok, so after winter was over and I put the mags back on the car, I thought the TPMS would just take over from where is left off once it sensed the pressure transmissions from the valve stems, and it did...BUT! Occasionally the "service tire monitoring system" message would appear in the DIC and when I check the tire pressures usually one or sometimes two of the tires have no readings (random). Drive a little longer, and they all come back on. After putting up with this intermittent loss of signal for a while I wondered maybe I need to relearn the tire positions even though I put the tires back on in the exact same place as when I took them off. So I start through the procedure, one honk for the front left, one honk for the front right, then I could not get the honk for the rear right and the procedure would always time out. Now I've also noticed lately that the range of my key FOB is far less than it was a while ago. So much so now that I have to be right beside the car to get it to unlock. Sometime my wife has to stand there for a couple of minutes before the doors actually unlock. I doubt its the FOB battery because I tried using the other FOB than never gets used and still the same thing. Do you guys think theses two signal receiving issues are related??? I heard there was some sort of software upgrade for something like this, but why a problem all of a sudden? I guess I'll have to take it back in.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take it to the dealer, the wheels shouldn't matter, and show them this.
Document ID# 1973969
2006 Chevrolet Impala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters) #07-08-52-001A - (05/21/2007)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne

2006-2007 Cadillac DTS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to inform technicians that Buick Lucernes NOT equipped with AP3 or AP8, do not have a coax antenna. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

• The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.

• The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) and/or remote vehicle start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause
Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.

Important:

• The 2006 and 2007 Impala LS without AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

• The 2006 and 2007 Lucerne without AP3 or AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure:
Impala / Monte Carlo
1.1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.

1.2. Unplug the speaker.

1.3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).

1.4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.

1.5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.

1.6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.

1.7. Remove the RCDLR module.

1.8. Install the new RCDLR module.

1.9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.

1.10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.

1.11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.

1.12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.

1.13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important: Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

1.14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.

DTS
1.1. Remove the rear seat cushion.

1.2. Remove the rear seat back.

1.3. Lower and remove the trunk trim cover to gain access to the underside of the rear package shelf.

1.4. Remove the rear seat belts.

1.5. Remove the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels and package shelf.

1.6. Remove the RCDLR module and antenna.

Tip
The existing antenna is grounded into another wiring harness. It will be necessary to pull the existing harness and antenna up near the C-pillar in order to disconnect the antenna from the other wiring harness.

Important: The new antenna will not be grounded into the other wiring harness.

1.7. Install a new RCDLR module and antenna.

1.8. Tape back the harness ground connection.

1.9. Reinstall the rear package shelf.

1.10. Reinstall the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels.

1.11. Reinstall the rear seat belts.

1.12. Reinstall the trunk trim cover.

1.13. Reinstall the rear seat back.

1.14. Reinstall the rear seat cushion.

Lucerne
1.1. Remove left rear C-pillar trim (sail) panel.

1.2. Remove the RCDLR antenna and receiver/module (located under the shelf package -- accessed through the trunk).

Tip
The existing antenna is grounded into another wiring harness. It will be necessary to pull the existing harness and antenna up near the C-pillar in order to disconnect the antenna from the other wiring harness.

Important: The new antenna will not be grounded into the other wiring harness.

1.3. Reinstall the new antenna and RCDLR receiver/module.

1.4. Reinstall the C-pillar trim (sail) panel.

Important: When programming a new or existing RCDLR, the programming instructions in SI must be followed.

Reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.
Important:

• On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), the tire type and tire pressures must be selected in the module set-up using the Tech 2®. If this step is not performed, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.

Tip: When selecting the Tire Type/Pressure, choose the appropriate selection on the Tech 2® based on psi, not kPa. The vehicle must be driven immediately. Monitor the tire pressures on the DIC and drive the vehicle until dashes no longer appear.

• After the learn procedure is complete, be sure to set the tire pressures according to the information on the tire placard.

If equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System, perform the Tire Pressure Sensor Relearn using the J 46079 following the procedure found in SI.
Replace both Remote Keyless Entry transmitters. New transmitters are identified by a star on the back of the transmitter. It is important to verify that the replacement transmitters have a star on the back.
Program the transmitters using the procedure listed in SI.
Parts Information
Important: Refer to the parts catalog using the VIN of the vehicle being serviced to identify the correct part numbers.

Impala / Monte Carlo Part Number
Description

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Impala Only)

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Monte Carlo Only)

Transmitter -- 4 Button with Trunk

Transmitter -- with Remote Vehicle Start System

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( without RKE and RVSS)

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and RVSS)

DTS Part Number
Description

Transmitter - JAPAN ONLY -- with Remove Vehicle Start System

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock, Remote Entry and Remote Vehicle Start System

Antenna Asm -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

Lucerne Part Number
Description

Transmitter -- 4-Button with Trunk

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock, Remote Entry

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock, Remote Entry and Remote Vehicle Start System

Antenna Asm -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9730*
RCDLR Module, RCDLR Antenna and RKE Transmitter -- Replace

Impala / Monte Carlo
2.2 hrs

DTS
1.8 hrs

Lucerne
1.4 hrs

* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1973969
2006 Chevrolet Impala
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I had this done, too, and i still have issues now. The range comes & goes, and now my Left-Rear sensor is (i believe) shot...not registering pressure at all...and causing the warning on the DIC at every startup.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having this service done as we speak. I'll update on how well it works with my car. Here's hoping it gets better and not worse. Though I don't have any TPMS problems, just range.

Quick Reply: TPMS and key FOB range problems