LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Who's gonna jump ship?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UTE drifting video. Not a very good driver, but you can get an idea of how the car handles.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

More UTE News....looks like GMC might be getting a 4 door model. eww...it's ugly. Just give me my 2 door G8 and we'll be good!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/22/n...or-holden-ute/
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I'm holding out for the new Impala...if and when it comes. If i had to choose something right now, it'd be the AWD TBSS as well. As soon as the Imp breaks warranty next year, i'll be cracking into the engine and modding this as much as possible, sin F/I...just cannot afford a $5000 turbo.

I'm in the same boat as 20SS07, though....only getting 12 or so in all City driving...one stop to the next. Unless you live, work and play in the city...such driving cannot be replicated. I know some THINK they're "City" drivers...but the 1/4-1/2mi to the next light in the suburbs does not count.

Hmmmm....missing a 2007 already? We're not even out of the calendar year yet!
As a commercial driver I'd run up to Buffalo often. I know what its like to run down the Transit from Lockport Lakawanna to Cheektowaga Tonawanda!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a fan of the earlier W bodies. They handled and drove excellent and I like the engines. For the time they did very well. In '97 when the platform got streched I kinda lost my love as the car started to handle bad and drive overly firm, even though they had extra power and the platform was super stiff. But now with these '06+'s they fixed alot of the platform's problems. Plus i've been waiting a LOOOG time for them to tos a V8 int the mix...I'm happy they finally did it. I'll keep this car as long as I can
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
More UTE News....looks like GMC might be getting a 4 door model. eww...it's ugly. Just give me my 2 door G8 and we'll be good!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/22/n...or-holden-ute/
Actually, they just announced that the 2-door will debut in NYC shortly. One with a V8, and they added one with a V6 to balance it out for CAFE regs.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I just read the article about the G8 ST debuting in March. For those who are interested: http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...8stcoming.html
Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about an HHR SS?? 260hp TURBO motor (lots of potential), sporty styling (on an ugly vehicle). At about $25,000 minus $2500 in rebates, not bad. A place out of Chicago is tuning them and CLAIMING 30-40 hp at the wheels. With turbo boost being electronically limited, I can believe it. C'mon, you know you guys want one. I'd love to get one for the wife, that way I wouldn't have to drive it every day, but could still take it out and play around.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had one for a rental - it sucked. Seats sucked, interior was designed for 50+ year olds, lame shifter. Felt like I was in a minivan. Lotsa gray haired babes checking me out! All around lame car. I'd drive a Saturn well before it. It sucked. Copy the PT Cruiser long after it came out. Where's the Hotrod part of HHR??? Dang it sucked.

Just like the 4 door Cobalt - should never had an SS badge on it. Stupid GM!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

However, the hhr ss has a different dash and guages, different (awesome actually) seats, a red and black or grey and black two tone seat. Different console (window switches on door) also. Nice ground effects and front end with mesh grill. The hhr ss should be quicker than the s/c cobalt ss's, with more performance potential also. So why shouldn't the 3300lb 260 horse turbo car be an ss, just because it's front wheel drive? jk.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I like the HHR's, but....meh. I'll wait for the G8 ST.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
The hhr ss should be quicker than the s/c cobalt ss's, with more performance potential also. So why shouldn't the 3300lb 260 horse turbo car be an ss, just because it's front wheel drive? jk.

Devalueing the SS identity. They slap a SS badge on a minivan? I guess I'm a purist in that respect.

I'm a car guy. I don't notice HHR's on the road. I don't get wood looking at one in the dealer showroom, come to think of it - I don't think there was one in the showroom, and I don't know if there were any on the lot.

I can see the 2-door Cobalt SS S/C in bright yellow, notice them on the road. Cool car IMO. Subaru STi; Evo, etc are the "next gen" of hot rodding. Just like our Dads had big blocks, we have small blocks that beat their big blocks, now there are 4 bangers that could run my Z28SS.

To me it's about the passion, can't fall asleep because you're picking up your car tomorrow ... them walking into the dealer and seeing it for the first time:

(seeing the car of your dreams for the first time and you forget your real camera and have to settle for your cell phone ... )
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, being a purist you know that the whole SS thing started as a trim option. In the mid/late '60's you could get an Impala SS with a 327 2 bbl, the big motors were optional, and you didn't have to get an SS just to get the big motors. You could get a plane jane Impala (maybe even a Biscayne) with a top of the line 425 hp 427. True GM has been slapping the SS on everything lately, but supposedly, only the deserving cars get it in 08.
Myself, I like sleepers, like my old lt1 Caprice Classic LS, loaded with leather. The fact that the hhr ss is an unlikely and a bit odd looking good running car makes me kinda like it. Should be able to suprise alot of people. With only a few mods, the hhr ss could run with the imports (maybe even your camaro). I don't like the idea of foreign cars being the new fast cars, so to me it's good to know Chevy has an import fighter of some sorts.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, a fair amount of the SuperSports were straight 6's at first. It was a group of the popular handling and trim options at the time under one order code. Some considered it to be against the intent of the option when they started putting the heavy V8's in the nose and ruining the handling of the car.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The HHR SS will be just as fast as the S/C SS Cobalt was, the numbers are pretty much dead even. From what I hear there isn't a whole lot of extra power to be squeezed out of that turbo motor. And, besides, when you'll be able to get that motor in a Cobalt SS that will be half a second quicker I wouldn't even think twice about the HHR unless you need the room. Just like most people wouldn't have chose the turbo PT cruiser over the S R T 4. Personally I'd take a Mazdaspeed3 over an HHR SS or the New Caliber S R T 4. I don't like either of those personally. I agree that the SS is thrown on too many undeserving cars(4 door SS, Malibu SS) but as mentioned it did start as only a trim option. Me personally though, I'd prefer the SS to be thrown on cars with much improved performance, not a car with just a spoiler and different rims added.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm - I'll give you guys the points on the 60's, because I wasn't around then.

I mainly remember the late 80's MCSS, GN and the IROC / Mustang battles. The 90's LT1, LT4, GT / Cobra and then the LSx explosion pushed performance to a new level. Enter the SS badge on the Impala SS and the Camaro, Chevrolet explained why they brought the SS badge back. I personally paid more than $3,000 for that badge, as that only the suspension was really upgraded, and the rest was "cosmetics".

Then came the Malibu SS, the 3800 (non S/C'd) MCSS you guys already made that point.

I think the 2 door Cobalt SS S/C is where GM should be. Yeah, the small cars in the next few years should evolve to beat my Z28SS, but there was a car in the 80's called an Omni GLH, ran anywhere from a 6.5 to 8 second 0-60, beating up on MCSS's, IROCs, Mustangs and Corvettes. Don't see any around anymore, but you still see the V8's.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can't get the turo motor on a non ss hhr. I think that a turbo has a lot more potential than a super charger, especially with today's technology. I know there are a few low 10 sec turbo srt 4's running around here Anyway, turbo vs super charged could be a whole nother topic. You also bring up a good point there 20SS07, there seems to be a trend toward 4 door hatch/wagon cars. Look at the new wrx sti, and the caliper srt 4, mazda 3 speed and of course the hhr ss now. I like the car (again, for the wife) because it does have the room over a cobalt, esp head room which helps with getting the kids in/out of car seats. It also has a lot of potential with a tune, better inter cooler (they are helping the solstice gxp's and saturn sky red lines) and exhaust. It could be a fun little car by todays standards, and it's a Chevy.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

If the wife doesn't want the Camaro SS I am going to go for the G8 GT sportwagon. Its kinda fun driving a wagon that doesn't just haul the kids.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we're not getting the G8 wagon now.

Quick Reply: Who's gonna jump ship?